$.10 NLHE MTT Turbo: K9s on 699 flop, wrong to call turn reraise?

B

Brave_n_Crazy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was the seventh hand in the tournament. I had only played two hands and won both with solid hole cards so had no initial appearance of being super loose. My question is, was I wrong to call the re-raise on the turn, and again wrong on the river?

PokerStars - $0.10+$0|15/30 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 7 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

BTN: 3,055.00
SB: 1,500.00
BB: 4,070.00
UTG: 3,015.00
Hero (UTG+1): 2,120.00
MP: 2,775.00
CO: 1,425.00

SB posts SB 15.00, BB posts BB 30.00

Pre Flop: (45.00) Hero has 9 K

UTG calls 30.00, Hero calls 30.00, fold, fold, fold, fold, BB checks

Flop: (105.00, 3 players) 6 9 9
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets 52.00, BB calls 52.00, fold

Turn: (209.00, 2 players) Q
BB checks, Hero bets 104.00, BB raises to 390.00, Hero calls 286.00

River: (989.00, 2 players) 3
BB bets 780.00, Hero calls 780.00

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limping is terrible.

Bet more on flop. Turn is pretty horrible but I probably sigh call and call again.

B

Brave_n_Crazy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you, I'm always leery of raising this early in one of these because it often triggers someone to push all-in. I wasn't sure K9s was a raising hand in early position anyway and erred on the side of caution. Should I consider suited hands that will also straighten to be raising hands (Q8s for example) or just the K9s+?

Last edited:
Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you were in later position you could raise to iso the limper as he'll likely have a weak range, but there are too many people left to act so just fold :)

If you have a look around there should be some opening ranges for cash to give you an idea of what to raise from where.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a fold from UTG+1. You want to be playing only AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQ. Obviously as it's a 10c game you can open your range a bit more, but you want to get in good practice for higher buyins. In 15/30 blinds you want to be playing tight, especially from early position.
As for the flop probably bet about 3/4 pot to give a bad price for flush draws. The BB looks like a loose agg due to his huge chip stack (a broad assumption) and betting pattern, but I think you could easily have him beat here.
Yes, the flush is out there, but its a small part of his range. He could easily have a queen or even an overpair (they like to get tricky with AA,KK in 10c) or even the other 9 (unlikely, but possible from the BB) or just air.
So probably just try and get a cheap showdown

B

Brave_n_Crazy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, I was playing tight as you mention when I started tournaments as that's how I play cash, and was getting ITM about 2 of 3 times, barely but cashing but was told that to go deeper I needed to open up my range early in the tournaments so I moved my starting hands back a position (playing those I would normally only play in middle pos early and so on). The first few tourneys it worked like a charm (even won my first MTT) but since then not so much. It is a learning process though, and I will keep at it until I get it right!

And the spoiler: BB had 6s9s - my lesson is it is cheaper to raise preflop and fold to a reraise than to let the BB catch a gift flop LOL

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And the spoiler: BB had 6s9s - my lesson is it is cheaper to raise preflop and fold to a reraise than to let the BB catch a gift flop LOL

haha, very true :)

if you have good cash game skills your post flop game is probably a lot better than most STT players, and so maybe opening your range is fine.
I'm pretty awful post flop, so like to keep things simple for myself by only picking hands are that easy(ish) to play.