€10 NLHE MTT Rebuy: Should I have been more carefull against this calling station

E

Elthirius

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
€10 NLHE MTT Rebuy: Should I have been more carefull against this calling station

Hello guys,

I was playing this tournament on PS this afternoon. After a few up and downs at the beginning levels, I managed to survive and even build next to the biggest chip stack of the tournaments after the bubble burst.

Then came this hand, which did not go as expected and cost me quite a lot (though it did not prevent me to run deep afterwards).

I put my thinking at each street and I would like to know how you would have played this hand and where my thinking was wrong. And I will try to self criticize my play.

I think my image was fairly tight and villain was 26/6.5 (with 46 hands)

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 10 Tournament, 4,000/8,000 Blinds 1,000 Ante (8 handed)

Hero (Button) (t504,670)
SB (t26,865)
BB (t254,159)
UTG (t200,522)
UTG+1 (t198,756)
MP1 (t245,052)
MP2 (t35,462)
CO (t104,981)

Hero's M: 25.23

Preflop: Hero is Button with 10 , 10
1 fold, UTG+1 calls t8,000, 3 folds, Hero raises to t44,000, 1 fold, BB calls t36,000, 1 fold

Ok, so here with a quite good PP I decide to reraise. With one limper behind, I chose a high price. Even if TT is a good hand I would have been more an happy to take down the pot right here.

Looking back at it, it might have grown the pot a little too much. Maybe a raise of 4BB would have been better.

Flop: (t108,000) 3 , K , 6 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t76,000, BB calls t76,000

Ok, so the plan did not completely work. But I'm in position. I'm now faced with a flop with a possible FD and an overcard. So I bet 3/4 of the pot to deny the draw equity and if Villain does not have a king he will probably fold.

Turn: (t260,000) K (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t168,000, BB calls t133,159 (All-In)

Villain just called my bet. So I might still be ahead. A second king came which is kind of reassuring. It became less likely that my tens are beaten. Villain had less than 1/2 pot at this time so I decided to put him all-in.

Looking back at it, I should have maybe checked this turn to see what Villain would do on the river.

River: (t526,318) J (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t526,318

I must confess that at this time I did not think too much about his range. I was still high after my 500k win with the aces.

Now that I'm writing this post I can see that to call such a raise PF, Villain must have had something like 88+ AQ+. However, I raised from the button, so his range could maybe include more speculative hands. But at 32 BB not that much.

Results below:
Hero had 10 ♥, 10 ♣ (two pair, Kings and tens).
BB had K ♠, K ♦ (four of a kind, Kings).
Outcome: BB won t526,318

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haven't checked the spoiler yet, won't until after I post.
Preflop- if you are content with just taking it down here, just jam. The highest effective stack is only 32bb deep, limper is only 23 deep (and probably folding anyways). If you do get called, at least you get to see all 5 cards.
As played preflop
I really like your play and reasoning on the flop.

On the turn you have to ask yourself 2 questions. 1. What is he calling 20% of his stack with pre and close to 40% of his remaining chips on the flop with, and 2. What will he call the shove with that I am ahead of?

AK, KK, AA (prob jams pre, so we can discount these some of the time). 33, 66, and KQ should fold pre, but still shows up here a little. So you have mostly flush draws AQhh, AJhh and a few other goofily played Axhh, JJ and QQ maybe some KJ and KT or 77-TT.

Which of these are you ahead of that will CALL ALL IN? flush draws are about it but the board paired so they might even fold that. I think you would be much better off just checking back the turn and bluffcatching the river if it's not a heart.

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You made the aggression all the way through the hand and that makes it very hard to figure out what the other player might be holding. After getting called on the flop I would check the turn and hope for a cheap showdown, unless another 10 showed up on the river.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
preflop too big; 3.0-3.5x is a good size to isolate 1 limper when we are in position.

turn: once again too big. you could check this back but I think TT benefits from protection. we don't want to give his QJ and A5 type hands free outs. On the other hand....we know a K is never folding and most likely never a flush draw either. so we only need to bet enough to discourage random overcard floats. I'd say something like 25-40% of pot.

That is a good turn for us as the likelihood of him having a K just went way down and the likelihood of him having a draw went way up. HOWEVER....if we bet what worse hands are we trying to get called by?

I'd check this turn and try to get to a cheap showdown. our hand is now essentially a bluff catcher.

you made every street too big.

now as it turns out it doesn't matter because it he will play KK like this you are just destined to get stacked this hand. THIS HAND. but in the future lines like this will cost you a lot. you can really only get called by better hands every time you bet.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fear is not a reason to make big bets.

Thank you for sharing this post it is never easy to reveal our mistakes to others.

Many good points in thread already about better bet sizing.

The why of it is important too.

You kept trying to make a player fold instead of focusing on the aspects of this hand. That is TILT.
You were emotional not rational about the hand. That led you to make bets based on an outcome not on a street by street evaluation of your play and your opponents play.

The "Mental Game of Poker" book series would be very beneficial to you.

Tilt is not just screaming at your laptop or shoving with 42. It is any time your emotions stop your brain from working at it's peek.

Good news though once you understand all aspects of tilt you can develop skills to combat it.

Hope you do well in your next tournament.

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

My instinct is that BB should be fighting back with blockers, broadway blockers that is. That being said, the worst hand the BB might have is JXo, assuming no T's in his hand. That means he is willing to call with AA, AK, AQ, AJ, KJ, KQ, QJ, AX, KX, maybe QX and JX. Once the flop comes out, he is continuing to call your bets while seeing the K in the flop. Unless he had a K, he might assume you have a set by now, but he continued. My guess here would be he has KX at least or maybe AhXh for the flush draw. Somewhere in your bet pattern, you need to allow him a chance to lead the bet so you can fold. If TT gets re-raised, fold it especially with K on the flop. If the BB is drawing, he probably will be busted at the turn, so if you let him bet the turn, he will tell if he has a busted draw.

GiGiCat

GiGiCat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello guys,

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 10 Tournament, 4,000/8,000 Blinds 1,000 Ante (8 handed)

Hero (Button) (t504,670)
SB (t26,865)
BB (t254,159)
UTG (t200,522)
UTG+1 (t198,756)
MP1 (t245,052)
MP2 (t35,462)
CO (t104,981)

Hero's M: 25.23

Preflop: Hero is Button with 10 , 10
1 fold, UTG+1 calls t8,000, 3 folds, Hero raises to t44,000, 1 fold, BB calls t36,000, 1 fold

Flop: (t108,000) 3 , K , 6 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t76,000, BB calls t76,000

Turn: (t260,000) K (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t168,000, BB calls t133,159 (All-In)

River: (t526,318) J (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t526,318

Results below:
Hero had 10 ♥, 10 ♣ (two pair, Kings and tens).
BB had K ♠, K ♦ (four of a kind, Kings).
Outcome: BB won t526,318

Pre-flop UTG+1 calls:

UTG+1 range is pretty wide, doubtful if he has 10+ so all that remains are speculative hands and small pairs.

This would be the range I assign him/her:
22 - 99, AQs-ATs, KQs, T9s, 98s, 87s, 76s, AQo-ATo, 87o

Hero Raises to 44K, what does our range look like to our opponents left to act.....

66+, A2s+, K9s+, Q9s+,J8s+,54s-T9s, A8o+,KTo+,98o-JTo,QTo

We look like we have a standard Button Raise range with a single limp from early position.

with that said when BB calls but does not raise, his range looks like this to me:
KK-88, AJs+, KQs, AJo+,KQo

I took out AA's in BB range because anybody would normally always raise this hand to build a pot, also if Hero notices Villain can get tricky with his/her play then include AA.

before UTG+1 folds Hero is at ~40% equity or 3:2 underdog

after UTG+1 folds hero is at a ~50% equity :D

BB Calls?! :joyman:

Flop comes out: :3c4: , :kh4: , :6h4:

With this flop the Hero's equity drops drastically by almost 10%

When a King came out on the flop Any Pocket pair that didn't make a set or isn't AA should have the chip breaks put on quickly

I feel the flop should have been checked to see what the turn brought and so as to see what the out of position person does.

Hero C bets....BB Calls! :eek:

We at this point are either dominated or it is a flip and I don't like either scenario?! More than likely we are in a flip against two over cards.

Turn: :kc4:

Good, now the likelihood that our opponent does not have a King just got better, but if he/she does have a Kx in hand we have but two outs, and with but a single card to come our equity drops to almost 6%, after the turn and a check from BB I would check here and see what the river brings.

On the other hand Hero now has ~50% equity again and no way to modify our opponents had range like we could if we had check either the flop or the turn allowing the villain to either bet or check the next street.

River: :jh4:

This river is troubling, it completes a flush draw, with no straight possible, and yet another over card to our meager pocket pair.

Hero's equity with this card plummets to near death or ~20% definitely a check fold for me.

Have a great day, hope this was helpful,
GiGiCat:)

S

skeptix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is fine but you could also consider checking back the turn. The hands you're beating at this point are smaller pocket pairs and flush draws. You're not worried about the smaller pairs getting there and you can induce a bluff from the flush draws if they miss river. If river is a heart you can then just fold to their bet, which in this exact situation would have saved you money.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Haven't checked the spoiler yet, won't until after I post.
Preflop- if you are content with just taking it down here, just jam. The highest effective stack is only 32bb deep, limper is only 23 deep (and probably folding anyways). If you do get called, at least you get to see all 5 cards.
As played preflop
I really like your play and reasoning on the flop.

On the turn you have to ask yourself 2 questions. 1. What is he calling 20% of his stack with pre and close to 40% of his remaining chips on the flop with, and 2. What will he call the shove with that I am ahead of?

AK, KK, AA (prob jams pre, so we can discount these some of the time). 33, 66, and KQ should fold pre, but still shows up here a little. So you have mostly flush draws AQhh, AJhh and a few other goofily played Axhh, JJ and QQ maybe some KJ and KT or 77-TT.

Which of these are you ahead of that will CALL ALL IN? flush draws are about it but the board paired so they might even fold that. I think you would be much better off just checking back the turn and bluffcatching the river if it's not a heart.

Absolutely agree with your analysis. We bet the flop and play the pot control on the turn. On the river, you can put a third of the pot, but it's better to play a check in 75% of cases. Opponent answering machine, but he can also come a good card. If the bubble burst, you have a good chance to get to the final table.