No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
VP$IP
Currency
$
Hi folks,

Playing an online tournament, $10 daily hyper on GG.

Effective stack: 8.3BB. We're already ITM.

I'm in the UTG with 5h5c sitting on 11.6BB, a relatively healthy stack in the tournament. I decide to limp (is this a mistake?), thinking that I'll get one person to jam and it'll be a simple calll. It folds to the BTN who jams for 8.3BB effective. BB jams for 9.7BB.

I'm debating if I should call.
My thought process here is that they likely have broadways and therefore block each other. The re-shove from BB is the main concern here, my thinking is that this puts his range to AT+ and strong pocket pairs as well.

The fear of BB gets the better of me and I end up folding, wanting to wait for other stacks to get knocked out first.

BTN has As8c, SB has AcJc. Runout is clean and ace high wins.

In hindsight it feels like an obvious call, but wanted to know other people's thoughts on it as well. In general, I've had trouble with facing all ins, and not knowing whether to call or not. Any advice here?

Last edited:
G

golangpher

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
In hindsight I feel like the correct decision here would have been to immediately shove UTG. BTN probably would have folded, BB would call and my equity improves to roughly 55%. Also to include, there's a 10% ante.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are ever going to limp to induce, the hands to do it with are AA and KK. 55 is a weak hand, which would much rather get fold equity by open jamming. In this case AJs might have called, and it would have been a "flip", but this is still fine, since there is a big overlay.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi folks,

Playing an online tournament, $10 daily hyper on GG.

Effective stack: 8.3BB. We're already ITM.

I'm in the UTG with 5h5c sitting on 11.6BB, a relatively healthy stack in the tournament. I decide to limp (is this a mistake?), thinking that I'll get one person to jam and it'll be a simple calll. It folds to the BTN who jams for 8.3BB effective. BB jams for 9.7BB.

I'm debating if I should call.
My thought process here is that they likely have broadways and therefore block each other. The re-shove from BB is the main concern here, my thinking is that this puts his range to AT+ and strong pocket pairs as well.

The fear of BB gets the better of me and I end up folding, wanting to wait for other stacks to get knocked out first.

BTN has As8c, SB has AcJc. Runout is clean and ace high wins.

In hindsight it feels like an obvious call, but wanted to know other people's thoughts on it as well. In general, I've had trouble with facing all ins, and not knowing whether to call or not. Any advice here?
Do you have equilab? It is free. put 55 into Equilab as played and then build ranges for your 2 V then consider the ICM value of your stack by looking at pay jumps and this data will help you decide what to do after you limp and they jam.
ICM makes us fold more in spots like this as a typical heuristic,

Fundiver stated -limps are AA KK -I do not know a single solid player that would limp QQ in that spot something to consider when you have 55 if QQ is not limping.
:unsure::geek:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fundiver stated -limps are AA KK -I do not know a single solid player that would limp QQ in that spot something to consider when you have 55 if QQ is not limping.
:unsure::geek:
Exactly. Even QQ (or AK) would rather seize the fold equity compared to induce. To many bad hands have 30-35% equity, which is to much, when the alternative is to increase our stack 35% without showdown.

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
Honestly I'd say 55 is borderline all in from UTG in that position. Personally I'm folding as I don't believe hand is strong enough, but anything there would be better than limping in that stage of tournament. Effectively you are just tossing away your chips as you will have someone re-raising or going all in behind you 99 out of 100 times.

I'd advise you avoiding limps unless you are trying to catch people with insane hands like AA KK and even then I'd just normally raise personally.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd advise you avoiding limps unless you are trying to catch people with insane hands like AA KK and even then I'd just normally raise personally.
So would I. A limp-trap only works, if the other players at the table wont find it suspicious. If you are someone, who normally never limp, but now you are suddenly limping UTG with a short stack, that absolutely scream AA or KK. So unless I had just gotten moved to a table of mainly unknown players, I would personally never do this. But it is a move, which people sometimes pull off with success.