$1 SnG - JJ vs AQ

G

Gavinski

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey,

Did I play this hand correct? This was a very tight table, most people were folding to any pre-flop raise, which is why my pre-flop raise was only BBx3.

pokerstars Game #11133522026: Tournament #56472708, $1.00+$0.20 Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2007/07/25 - 19:12:12 (ET)
Table '56472708 1' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 2: mla~ (3260 in chips)
Seat 3: China Bleu (1380 in chips)
Seat 4: NoéStar (1485 in chips)
Seat 5: bubsz (1430 in chips)
Seat 6: samijan (1495 in chips)
Seat 7: Gavin UK (1470 in chips)
Seat 8: B-RAD4BROWN (1480 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 9: cjk11flip (1500 in chips)
samijan: posts small blind 15
Gavin UK: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Gavin UK [Js Jd]
B-RAD4BROWN: folds
cjk11flip: folds
mla~: folds
China Bleu: folds
B-RAD4BROWN has returned
NoéStar: calls 30
bubsz: folds
samijan: folds
Gavin UK: raises 60 to 90
NoéStar: calls 60
*** FLOP *** [8h 2d 3s]
Gavin UK: bets 60
NoéStar: raises 60 to 120
Gavin UK: raises 180 to 300
NoéStar: raises 1095 to 1395 and is all-in
Gavin UK: calls 1080 and is all-in
*** TURN *** [8h 2d 3s] [Ah]
*** RIVER *** [8h 2d 3s Ah] [3d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Gavin UK: shows [Js Jd] (two pair, Jacks and Threes)
NoéStar: shows [Ac Qh] (two pair, Aces and Threes)
NoéStar collected 2955 from pot
cjk11flip said, "rash"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2955 | Rake 0
Board [8h 2d 3s Ah 3d]
Seat 2: mla~ folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: China Bleu folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: NoéStar showed [Ac Qh] and won (2955) with two pair, Aces and Threes
Seat 5: bubsz (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: samijan (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: Gavin UK (big blind) showed [Js Jd] and lost with two pair, Jacks and Threes
Seat 8: B-RAD4BROWN folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: cjk11flip folded before Flop (didn't bet)

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would probably fold or push when he min-raises your flop bet.

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the future, don't post the results if you want feedback on how you played the hand, and what you think you should have done on a particular bet and what not--try to cut off the HH where you want feedback from. Otherwise you'll get zero responses from people that really can offer you some advice, and you will get a few measly responses that are results oriented.

That being said, I'll give some cursory input.

Preflop, raise more, yes I saw that you said people were playing tight, ect, but no need to raise that little when the blinds are 15/30. Doesn't matter if you raise at least 4-5xBB and get no callers. O well, deal with it, but still need to make the raise 4-5xBB even from SB.

Off the flop, bet out more than just 60. The 60 bet left you in a very awkward position, after his bizarre minraise. I understand this is a $1 SnG, so bizarre play will be occurring frequently, but if you had just put out a decent size bet right away off the flop then you would be able to actually gauge what a minraise would actually mean from your opponent. A 60 bet and a minraise by your opponent means nothing.

Bet out at least the pot there on the flop, and you would have a better gauge of where you stand. Your 60 bet and then his minraise, means absolutely nothing. It does not allow you to gain any information whatsoever.

rob5775

rob5775

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Estelle's right... try not to post the results so we can give you an objective response. Anyway...

Even if you typically make a 3x raise, you have to consider you have a limper and need to raise more than usual. Also you are OOP against him with a hand thats vulnerable to overcards. Early on I will raise 4x BB and add a BB for each limper. So 5x BB would be good here.

Since the posters above have hit on it, the 60 bet on the flop is just weak... thus the reraise could be anything and you have no idea where you stand.

Now, his reraise could be anything but think logically. He limped from middle position, either he is a piss poor player (which he looks to be) or he had a hand that he felt didn't deserve a raise. Something like QJ, JT, mid and low pairs, suited connectors, suited aces, and even possibly suited K or Q.

A bigger reraise of villains minraise works for me. I like a 3 bet (raise 360) of his minbet. If he's bluffing (because of your weak flop bet) then this should take the pot. You are likely ahead here, so you need to define his hand... if he shoves then you need to consider a set. Other than that I see someone with A8, at these limits, making the same play at you.

Villain made a bonehead play and it payed off for him. Just remember when you bet, there should be thought behind it and a plan for all possibilities. You have a strong but vulnerable hand on the flop, so you need to push out hands that might draw out on you.

G

Gavinski

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advice! I will take it on board. And next time I post HH, i'll cut it off.

Cheers,
Gav

Z

zxcvbnm123

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
raise to 150 preflop and def get it in on flop in 1$ tourneys.