$1 SNG early, Pocket QQ's how do I avoid this...

B

Bothi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
full tilt poker Game #3303739240: $1 + $0.25 Sit & Go (25263842), Table 6 - 25/50 - No Limit Hold'em - 19:46:53 ET - 2007/08/19
Seat 1: RonKite (3,310)
Seat 2: Elcondor50 (1,090)
Seat 3: jimrad100 (2,500)
Seat 4: Bothi (1,335)
Seat 5: CONSTANTINOPLE (3,955)
Seat 6: rhyia (4,980)
Seat 7: JerkwaterUSA (2,316)
Seat 8: took_ur_roll (4,330)
Seat 9: SH0CKS U (5,500)
SH0CKS U posts the small blind of 25
RonKite posts the big blind of 50
The button is in seat #8
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Bothi [Qc Qs]
Elcondor50 folds
jimrad100 calls 50
Bothi has 15 seconds left to act
Bothi raises to 300
CONSTANTINOPLE folds
rhyia folds
JerkwaterUSA has 15 seconds left to act
JerkwaterUSA folds
took_ur_roll calls 300
SH0CKS U folds
RonKite folds
jimrad100 folds
*** FLOP *** [8h 9s 2c]
Bothi checks
took_ur_roll checks
*** TURN *** [8h 9s 2c] [9h]
Bothi bets 400
took_ur_roll has 15 seconds left to act
took_ur_roll calls 400
*** RIVER *** [8h 9s 2c 9h] [Jh]
Bothi has 15 seconds left to act
Bothi bets 635, and is all in
took_ur_roll calls 635
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Bothi shows [Qc Qs] two pair, Queens and Nines
took_ur_roll shows [8c 9c] a full house, Nines full of Eights
took_ur_roll wins the pot (2,795) with a full house, Nines full of Eights
Bothi stands up
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2,795 | Rake 0
Board: [8h 9s 2c 9h Jh]
Seat 1: RonKite (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 2: Elcondor50 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 3: jimrad100 folded before the Flop
Seat 4: Bothi showed [Qc Qs] and lost with two pair, Queens and Nines
Seat 5: CONSTANTINOPLE didn't bet (folded)
Seat 6: rhyia didn't bet (folded)
Seat 7: JerkwaterUSA didn't bet (folded)
Seat 8: took_ur_roll (button) showed [8c 9c] and won (2,795) with a full house, Nines full of Eights
Seat 9: SH0CKS U (small blind) folded before the Flop

I probably should not have pushed on the river with possible heart flush, but still didn't see the 8,9 because he called my raise.

Bothi

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1.) I wouldnt play a S&G that takes 25% fee for playing
2.) Your raise was a little high preflop, I typically do 3-4x BB in unopened pots
3.) Bet around 2/3 pot on the flop, if he shoves, I think you have to call, u cant put him on 2 pair there.
4.) If he calls your flop bet I would slow down with the board pairing, but it would be tough to get away from.

This is just one of those hands that you cant really do anything about.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd agree with betting out on the flop to get a better idea of where you're at.

Aside from that... you were behind for the entire hand, but he's doing nothing but smooth calling so it's difficult to make that read. Looks like he had a good read on you, and you just plain got outplayed.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given the size of your stack and the amount of your PF raise its very hard, if not impossible, to get away from this. That's not to criticize your PF raise amount, I think it was fine considering the blinds. Maybe you can escape on the river with the paired board and the flush showing, but its a tough fold with only 635 left.

In general though you should bet the flop. It wouldn't have saved you but its the right play, because on that flop he's likely to check behind so why give a free card? You were the PF raiser so now throw in a c-bet.

C

coljung

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That happens very often at $1 and $2 sng's. I usually try a bigger raise preflop to avoid this kind of situations, but you'd be surprised of the hands that will call your all-in preflop at this stakes.

As someone else stated at another topic, winning at $1 and $2 has to do mostly with luck, given the amounts of donkeys that will call your raises with any kind of hand.

fL4k3

fL4k3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like queens but they can be scary at times.

every now and again the lovely ladies hold up

GL

PokerProBetZip

PokerProBetZip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, its a $1 Sit N' Go so I would of gone all in with QQ Pre-Flop if there was more than 100 chips in the pot. You are gonna meet a lot of donks at the lower limits so best in my opinion to knock them out Pre-Flop. AA KK are a different discussion though.

cycolist

cycolist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With $1 Sit N' Go I would bet at least half of my stack pre-flop with pocket queens to get rid of 89 callers and still there are those that will risk it. You should have some idea how tight or loosely players are playing unless this is the first hand.

4Aces

4Aces

is watching you
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you could of gotten away from that, I've just played a $1 sng and i seen players going allin even with 3rd pair. After all it is only $1.
BTW i won that sng. :D

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Normally, I'd agree that raising 6x the BB preflop is too much. But jeez, that donkey still called it with just suited connectors. Seems like you knew he liked to call normal raises with marginal hands and you tried to get more money in on him. If that was your thinking, good move.

Even if you had bet the flop to see where you were at, this donkey probably would have called with anything like a gutshot draw or any Ace. Unfortunately, this is what can be expected in $1 games.

dwbrown7680

dwbrown7680

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep...

It's just like they're all saying, in the smaller SNG's its harder to get a great read on your opponets because there's just a huge range of hands that they could be calling with. I like the 6xBB raise pre, i usually do 4-5 myself, but again sometimes you just get that person who thinks "well i'll call and if i hit good i know i have him crushed". They lose that 8 outta 10 i'd say but it really hurts when you happen to be one of those two times they don't....But i'd say you ALWAYS lead out with a bet on the flop if you raised pre, you never know what your opponet may be holding. It wouldnt have helped much here, but i've had a hand live where i was holding Q,Q and raised preflop to see a flop of K,A,7. I didn't do a continuation bet and the flop was checked. The turn was bet (8c) and i folded assuming someone had to have that Ace or King. Turns out my two opponets held 3,3 and 10,J. I flat out got outplayed because i didnt do the continuation bet. :eek: