$1 NLHE STT: Flop middle pair against loose player

nvr_di

nvr_di

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 72/30/57

full tilt poker $1 + $0.20 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t30/t60 Blinds - 6 players - View hand 1200565
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BB: t1620 27 BBs
UTG: t3891 64.85 BBs
MP: t1877 31.28 BBs
CO: t2945 49.08 BBs
BTN: t1137 18.95 BBs
Hero (SB): t2030 33.83 BBs

Pre Flop: (t90) Hero is SB with T
club.gif
K
diamond.gif

UTG raises to t120, 3 folds, Hero raises to t240, 1 fold, UTG calls t120

Flop: (t540) Q
club.gif
T
spade.gif
diamond.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets t540, Hero raises to t1080, UTG calls t540

Turn: (t2700) 2
club.gif
(2 players)
Hero ...?

First question was my Pre flop and flop play decent? I guess I was trying to steal but against a looser player I should have expected that not to work and that he would call. So value bet maybe?

Second what should have been my next move on the turn?

In retrospect this hand seems very fishy to me. I wont give it away but I either recovered from this mistake or it worked out in my favor because I knocked him out a few hands later and went on to win but still not entirely happy with the way I played this.

Last edited:
Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OOP minraise against a loose player = playing directly into villains game, sorry I'll go no further.

thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like the reraise preflop. K10 is a hand that looks a lot prettier than it actually is. I wouldnt mind open raising with it from late position but if someone opens it before me I am going to throw it away especially when he raises UTG. another thing is the blinds are still really small so there is no rush to play a sub par hand, just sit back and wait for a better spot. I also hate the raise on the flop. you are putting over half your stack in against a big stack when you have no idea where you are, I would have just bet out the flop and if I get raised throw it away. I have to imagine he cannot be very strong. maybe 2nd pair, 9's or J's or a straight draw, maybe top pair. After his call there is no way he is folding. Him being a loose player I would probably shove here, make him pay for a draw.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
omg my eyes

just general advice: if you make a move where you have less than 1/3 PSB left and you aren't sure what to do, don't make that move. Calling from the SB in this situation is just generally horrible with any hand, especially garbage like KTo. If you are ahead of his value range (which is possible but probably not when he's UTG), then 3-bet/call shove.

but really, fold pre. as played, fold/shove flop. shove turn.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Snapfold preflop and avoid the spot altogether. That HAS to be the message you take away from this hand.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea you have to fold this pre! I understand you see a spewy lagtard and you want to hit him. This is NOT the spot!! wait til you have a better hand with position with less BB's.

nvr_di

nvr_di

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advise guys. Wow total rookie mistake huh? Heh
I see the error of my ways and will defintally be more selective on which hands and from what position I play.

Thanks again

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advise guys. Wow total rookie mistake huh? Heh
I see the error of my ways and will defintally be more selective on which hands and from what position I play.

Thanks again

Anytime! That's what we are here for.