$1 NLHE: Raise from UTG check check, I raise he goes all in?

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$1 NL HE: Raise from UTG check check, I raise he goes all in?

Stacks:
SB with 2310
BB with 1380
UTG with 1440
UTG+1 with 1530
MP1 with 2180
MP2 with 1410
CO with 1700
BTN with 1550

hand.pl

Blinds: 10/20
Site: Pokerstars
Dealt to BTN:J♥ J♣
Sklansky group 1
Preflop:
1 players fold.
UTG+1 raises 180 to 200
3 players fold.
Hero calls [200]
2 players folded.
Total folds this street: 6
Potsize: 430
Flop:
Q♦ 9♥ 6♦
UTG+1: checks
Hero: checks
Potsize: 430
Turn:
10♠
UTG+1 bets [40]
2 players fold.
Hero raises 160 to 200
UTG+1 raises 1130 to 1330 [ all-in ]
1 players fold.
Uncalled bet (1130) returned to UTG+1
UTG+1 collected 830 from pot
UTG+1: doesn't show hand
Total folds this street: 1

I probably shouldve raised preflop but I had no reads on the villian. I found it really odd that he checked the flop and thought maybe he had trip queens or an over pair so i checked too. On the turn i figure i'd bet to see where i stood and because i thought it was weird that he'd keep slowplaying trips or an overpair on this sort of wet board. When he went all in i decided to fold because i knew i couldnt beat an overpair unless i hit my OESD and i didnt really think me getting trips would help either(in case he did hit trip queens).

Was this the proper play?

Last edited:
Falloooooon

Falloooooon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Folding at the end is proper, IMO. But I'm a small baller early unless I have the nuts or close to it. And as a small baller, I would have just called the turn.

The way the hand has gone, there is no way you are facing a competent opponent, but at this stage that just means you have no idea what he's holding. So wait for a better spot once he goes all in.

bredstik

bredstik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that you did the right thing by folding. I would have bet the flop first though rather than waiting for the turn. If he re-raised you there like he did on the turn, I would have folded in that spot also and waited for a better spot.

L

lov_my_wife

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IN this hand i like your move at the end here but on the flop I would have put out about a 150 value bet to see where you stood instead of giving him a free card. on the turn he could have possibly been slow playing Qs, could have had an overpair, or even at this point could have hit two straights so i think now this is a must fold.