$1 NLHE: Push with open ended and flush draw?

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$1 NL HE: Push with open ended and flush draw?

Alright, got up today and played a couple SNGs and also try a $2 quintuple shootout (lost in first round), also just decided to mess around and play the $1 buy in $3000 guarantee on stars. Tournament started with about 4500 players with top 810 getting paid. This hand is from when there were about 790 players left, so I am in the money $1.30 with the next payout increase at 585 players (.45 more).

Here is the hand:

Seat 1: goober86 (7083 in chips) out of hand (moved from another table into small blind)
Seat 2: Porshe911GT2 (16723 in chips)
Seat 3: handicapper7 (4045 in chips)
Seat 4: gralle72 (34150 in chips)
Seat 5: main686 (7029 in chips)
Seat 6: Aer Res (3633 in chips)
Seat 7: ebner (3600 in chips)
Seat 8: Bastation (14954 in chips)
Seat 9: jordanbillie (9595 in chips)
Porshe911GT2: posts the ante 25
handicapper7: posts the ante 25
gralle72: posts the ante 25
main686: posts the ante 25
Aer Res: posts the ante 25
ebner: posts the ante 25
Bastation: posts the ante 25
jordanbillie: posts the ante 25
Porshe911GT2: posts small blind 150
handicapper7: posts big blind 300
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to jordanbillie [8c Tc]
gralle72: calls 300
main686: calls 300
Aer Res: folds
ebner: calls 300
Bastation: folds
jordanbillie: calls 300 (I limp on the button here trying to hit a decent flop)
Porshe911GT2: calls 150
handicapper7: checks

*** FLOP *** [7c Qc 9d]

Porshe911GT2: checks
handicapper7: checks
gralle72: bets 600
main686: raises 6104 to 6704 and is all-in
ebner: folds
jordanbillie???

I am pretty sure the original bettor will fold (he was continuation betting a lot and then letting it go when he was pushed back at) but what about the allin? Set or two pair are obvious possibilities and if I fold here I am still in really good shape. On the other hand the next pay increase is not for a while and I need to accumulate chips at some point. Do we push here and hope we are just up against top pair or something? If that is the case, we are the favorite. I think the worst hand to see here would be AK clubs, but they would have raised preflop with that, right?

Discuss please.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd call.

You have loads of outs. Its highly likely thathe had hit his Q and is afraid of the flush draw so I think I would be reluctantly calling here

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll make the exception for for this one. Pushing to isolate will be the correct move here. Open ended and suited, you're playing to cash higher. A set of Queens is ruled out ( he woulda raised preflop ). My guess, bottom 2 pair or K / J suited. If called by both, you stand to triple thru and eliminate one player.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are a 60-40 dog to a set and Ac{2-6}c and ~70-30 dog to AcKc/KcJc and ahead of everything else including AcQx. You can probably drop QQ/AK from the opponents range and probably even 99. This is one of those flip hands that you need to win to win a tournament. I think you need to go AI here to try and get it heads-up with the smaller stack.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
limping this in the first place is kind of bad, try minraising at least, or making it like 2.2x the BB. anyways now that we're on the flop, you can go all in safely

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK I lost the hand history because it wouldn't let my post the response at first (more than 7 posts in 24 hrs) but I will do my best to summarize.

I ended up thinking for about 20 seconds and I pushed allin. It folded around so I was heads up with the shorter stack (6704). He turns up AQ for top pair top kicker (exactly what I want, I am the favorite to win). I spike a Jack on the turn to give me the straight and the checkmark on the hand.

In response to vanquish, I don't really like min raising here at all. It opens the door for a big reraise by an original limper, in which case we have to fold. I limped hoping to see the flop and play it from there.

P.S. I ended up finishing the tournament in 33rd place out of 4500 earning me $8, lol. I also came in 130th out of 3300 in the $3 3k guarantee for $12. Maybe I will play these low micro stakes more often, lol. It was a fun day of poker +$42 today without playing a tourney over $5 :)

D

dblsuitd

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd call.

You have loads of outs. Its highly likely thathe had hit his Q and is afraid of the flush draw so I think I would be reluctantly calling here

I definitely would've called here too. Open ended with flush draw? Tons of outs.

But referring to preflop play, I agree with not limping in. I understand youre scared of a reraise, but limping in opens the doors to a whole bunch of hands. You want to minimize as many hands from limping in i.e. small/big blind. This gives you a better chance of maximizing the likelihood of winning that hand. You may get a reraise once in awhile, but min raising preflop would save you a whole lot of trouble in the long run.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i definatly limp you got a hand that could turn into something but don't really want to get too involved with the hand if someone rerasies you. atfer the flop i would shove. i don't really like to call such a big bet to do so. i would rather he made it pot sized then i shoved. when i shove i like to be able to win right away w/out a showdown. here w/lots of outs i do doubt shove.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In response to vanquish, I don't really like min raising here at all. It opens the door for a big reraise by an original limper, in which case we have to fold. I limped hoping to see the flop and play it from there.

2 things:

1. he's raising after his original limp maybe 5% of the time. at most.

2. he's probably also trying to see a "cheap flop" to see if he'll "hit anything". however, because you're the one raising and he's the one calling, the times when he doesn't hit anything on the flop (hint: the majority of the time), you will be able to take the pot postflop. and sometimes you'll hit something, yourself!

JonasBluffer

JonasBluffer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to call man, you have a lot of outs, and its a low buy in tournament, people go all in here with a set or two pair, even a TOP PAIR! The pot is big and if you win it can really make the difference, so call cowboy!

V

vpb0i

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not much u can do here, if the buy in was around 20-30, id think about it, but since its under 5 dollar, ill take the chance and make the call, pretty much going up against any hand here, with all those limps.

I

Im_depressed

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would call here no matter what in every type of tournament every stake... easy call for me because i run good baby!

Full Flush Poker