$1 NLHE MTT: T8o in the sb in a 3-bet pot.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars - $1+$0.10|150/300 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3
BB: 35,498.00
UTG: 9,929.00
UTG+1: 31,523.00
MP: 5,530.00
MP+1: 17,361.00
LP: 8,772.00
CO: 13,886.00
BTN: 11,111.00
Hero (SB): 16,589.00
BB posts ante 40.00, UTG posts ante 40.00, UTG+1 posts ante 40.00, MP posts ante 40.00, MP+1 posts ante 40.00, LP posts ante 40.00, CO posts ante 40.00, BTN posts ante 40.00, Hero posts ante 40.00, Hero posts SB 150.00, BB posts BB 300.00
Pre Flop: (810.00) Hero has T:diamond: 8:heart:
fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 600.00, Hero raises to 1,350.00, BB calls 1,050.00, fold
Flop: (3660.00, 2 players) T:spade: 9:spade: T:heart:
Hero bets 1,350.00, BB calls 1,350.00
Turn: (6360.00, 2 players) 7:club:
Hero bets 2,222.00, BB raises to 4,444.00, Hero ???

Original raiser was 22/12, he seems positionally aware and defo opens wide, BB is 13/0 with low AF. If they are tracking me I'm playing 18/15, haven't paticularly got out of line so far so my raise should get more respect than it deserves. Do you prefer calling turn or shoving? I jsut don't see what worse hands can call a shove from this player type.

Also as a side topic. What do you think of lowering bet sizing in general (paticularly on similar boards to this)? Not 100% sure if it's a bad habit I've got into recently from HU where I keep bets small and I'm transferring that incorrectly into MTTs.

Last edited:
youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont mind the re-steal at all.

Bet more otf, bet more ott, then get in.

As played you have to raise, trips and open-ended.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont mind the re-steal at all.

Bet more otf, bet more ott, then get in.

As played you have to raise, trips and open-ended.
Yea I think I just mashed buttons otf without looking at pot once I hit the miracle flop lol. Would your response still be the same if I bet say 1789?

Why do you think raising is better than calling? What worse is villain calling a jam with?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Betsizing is fine because we'd want to double barrel a lot of turn cards regardless of our hand. Idk wtf to do on the turn, I guess just pay him if we're beat. The turn shouldn't help him, and he should have enough slowplayed big pairs here that we'll have pretty awesome equity overall. Also he's representing practically nothing, and fish can do spewy things on paired boards.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
don't really like the 3bet pre, given his stats he's going to be peeling a lot and T8o doesn't play all that well post flop, especially OOP

as played I call and then c/c all rivers, bet sizing seems fine

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok cheers guys. I just called and he checked back the river with 9c6c, go figure lol. I think I do need to turn down my 3-betting frequency from the blinds , since original raiser probs calls too much and alot of people in the BB hate folding as evidenced here.

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok cheers guys. I just called and he checked back the river with 9c6c, go figure lol. I think I do need to turn down my 3-betting frequency from the blinds , since original raiser probs calls too much and alot of people in the BB hate folding as evidenced here.

I disagree that the 3 bet was wrong, your read was correct that the button was stealing as he folded his hand. The BB should never have called but nice for you that he did. I wouldnt 3 bet that much from the blinds and there are far better hands to be 3 bet bluffing with but if someone keeps stealing.. steal back.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree that the 3 bet was wrong, your read was correct that the button was stealing as he folded his hand. The BB should never have called but nice for you that he did. I wouldnt 3 bet that much from the blinds and there are far better hands to be 3 bet bluffing with but if someone keeps stealing.. steal back.

What hands do you think are good for stealing in this spot? I do it alot with stuff like 67s that I feel I can play well post, T8o isn't going to be horrible to play post since I can rep a ton of high boards, I can bet all low boards (since they'll miss his range) and the middling boards are going to hit me so I can also bet them and stack some flops. I'm not a fan of doing shit like this with two people still to act with things like weak aces, although I have seen a few advocates of this. I jsut think people call to much with hands that are just either dominating you or that can rape you post -flop. If I was sure I could get enough folds from hands like QTs, ATo type hands then the blocker value would be good enough to justify it, at these stakes I just don't think we see enough folds to justify it based on having blockers since that isn't enough.

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think weak aces are tough oop in tourneys, because if you flop an ace when dominated youre going to lose a lot of your stack. Best hands to 3 bet bluff with are hands that are rarely dominated, such as suited connectors and gap connectors. Hands like that are generally easy to play oop because you will often flop some equity.

As for A10 etc, 3 betting from the blinds against a steal is a bad idea. This is because you'll fold out majority of hands that you dominate and get called by hands that dominate you. You then have to play the worst hand oop. If you flat preflop then it leaves you in a solid position against your opponents range (such as K10, Q10, Ax etc), the hands that they would probably fold to the raise.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd 3-bet A2s/A5s and stuff like K8s/K9s that have blockers for AA/KK/AK.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a $1 tournament, apparently with a long way to go, and you have a comfortable stack. Just fold pre-. Just looking at the one hand, I don't hate trying to resteal. But there's a bigger picture. It's a $1 tournament, seemingly with quite a way to go, and you have a decent stack. How important is it to go after this pot at this time, with T8o OOP?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course you can say that this isn't the time to make a stand but then you could say the same about stealing in general. Did BTN really have to make a move there with nothing? Then we'd all be waiting for Aces. Establishing a dynamic where the guy on your right knows that you know he's opening wide and will 3-bet light can set up hugely +EV spots down the line.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this spot I'd like to 3 bet light with hands that have decent post flop equity when we're called. Like baudib said with Axs, then things like J10s, 910s, stuff like that. Wouldn't be 3 betting T8o but I don't think it's terrible

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course you can say that this isn't the time to make a stand but then you could say the same about stealing in general. Did BTN really have to make a move there with nothing? Then we'd all be waiting for Aces. Establishing a dynamic where the guy on your right knows that you know he's opening wide and will 3-bet light can set up hugely +EV spots down the line.
Reductio ad absurdum. I basically suggested there may be better spots. How does this equate to waiting for AA?

As for possibly setting up nice +EV spots later, of course this CAN happen. But I'd be interested to know how you conclude that you're more likely to gain than lose overall from doing it here and now with T8o.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's better for your image at this stage to be tight and not appear to be 3betting light, and to establish that later as well as picking up more chips in the process, than coming across laggy now