$1 NLHE MTT Rebuy: River fold with a top pair

S

Soossi12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

In hindsight this fold seems like a mistake IMO but what do you think?

Thanks in advance!

UTG: 11.58 BB
UTG+1: 58.16 BB
MP: 17.08 BB
MP+1: 97.09 BB
MP+2: 25.59 BB
Hero (CO): 23.41 BB
BTN: 27.14 BB
SB: 30.2 BB
BB: 36.94 BB

9 players post ante of 0.07 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.14 BB) Hero has Kc Qc
fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2 BB, fold, SB calls 1.5 BB, BB calls 1 BB

Flop : (6.64 BB, 3 players) Kd 2d 5d
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets 3.32 BB, SB calls 3.32 BB, fold

Turn : (13.29 BB, 2 players) 8s
SB checks, Hero bets 4.38 BB, SB calls 4.38 BB

River : (22.05 BB, 2 players) 6h
SB bets 8.03 BB, fold

SB wins 22.05 BB

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am going to skip to later in the hand as the rest of the hand imo is played fine by you although I think I go slightly bigger on the turn (maybe 5.5BB) just to give a little worse price for those with one diamond to call. That really probably wont stop any one diamond from calling but gets us a little more when villain calls and then check folds river. Checking the turn is an option but I personally dont like doing it with 3 diamonds on the board and want to charge something to those one diamond hands.

On the river as played I think this is a call. There are plenty of hands that would make this type of bet (which could be a blocker bet) that would call pre. SB could be calling quite wide there pre and there are plenty of hands like A diamonds X and smaller kicker Kx that would or could potentially make a bet like this. If we are wrong here we still have 6 BB left which is not much but its something and getting a good price with this bet. I think KQ is too good to fold especially in thinking that AK would have 3 bet us pre (usually anyway) and sets probably would not have played as passively as SB did here. Its ok imo to go with 20 big blinds here with top pair 2nd kicker so I would definitely be prepared to call a bet like this where I still have some life even if Im wrong.

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I would check the turn and call river bet, most of the time they would river bet trying to bluff you off, thinking that you missed
Now to the river, this donk bet doesn't mean anything real to me, any set would probably check-raise on the flop or turn, any flush as well(except nut flushes), but most of the time you were called by some hands like Aj with one diamond or pocket pairs with a diamond, but you are ahead most of them
So if we compare ranges we will see there is much more hands that missed there or worse than yours than hands that are beat you, so easy call from me here

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open, both players in the blinds call.

Flop
With top pair on a monotone board I will often check for pot control, when I dont have a flush card in my hand. The idea is basically to wait for a safe turn card, which increase your equity, before you start putting chips in the pot. This is not a "OMG lets play for stacks" situation, because either player could have flopped a flush, and if a further flush card comes, your hand pretty much go down in flames. But ok you made a C-bet, and thats not a big mistake either.

Turn
As played I like continuing to bet, but I would go a bit larger like half pot.

River
You have to call this donk bet. He is giving you almost 4:1, so you only need to be good a little more than 1 in 5 times, and what does he even say, he have? A flopped flush that played in this bizarre way? K6 that rivered two pair? I am not buying it, and its pretty common for people to play a draw passively out of position and then donk the river, when they miss. I expect to see a hand like Ad4c often enough for this to be a profitable call, and basically he just has to show it to me to win this pot :)

S

Soossi12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
Standard open, both players in the blinds call.

Flop
With top pair on a monotone board I will often check for pot control, when I dont have a flush card in my hand. The idea is basically to wait for a safe turn card, which increase your equity, before you start putting chips in the pot. This is not a "OMG lets play for stacks" situation, because either player could have flopped a flush, and if a further flush card comes, your hand pretty much go down in flames. But ok you made a C-bet, and thats not a big mistake either.

Turn
As played I like continuing to bet, but I would go a bit larger like half pot.

River
You have to call this donk bet. He is giving you almost 4:1, so you only need to be good a little more than 1 in 5 times, and what does he even say, he have? A flopped flush that played in this bizarre way? K6 that rivered two pair? I am not buying it, and its pretty common for people to play a draw passively out of position and then donk the river, when they miss. I expect to see a hand like Ad4c often enough for this to be a profitable call, and basically he just has to show it to me to win this pot :)

Thanks for your good reasoning! If u check the flop and the turn is a dimond and the villain bets 60% of the pot, u would fold, right?

Folding in Poker