$1 NLHE MTT: FT facing a donk bet vs BB having AA

tewwa94

tewwa94

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6 left on a 1$ 45-player s&g I face this lead from the BB having AA. There might be flush draws, straight draws and Kx but also 2 pairs and sets. Since there are only 6 players left, should I take a safer route and just call and re-evaluate turn?

PokerStars - 200/400 Ante 25 NL - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 10.55 BB
BB: 26.39 BB
UTG: 42.32 BB
MP: 57.19 BB
Hero (CO): 20.1 BB
BTN: 12.19 BB

6 players post ante of 0.06 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.87 BB) Hero has A:diamond: A:club:

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.1 BB, fold, fold, BB calls 1.1 BB

Flop: (5.07 BB, 2 players) 6:spade: 4:spade: K:club:
BB bets 5 BB, Hero raises to 17.94 BB and is all-in, BB calls 12.94 BB

Turn: (40.95 BB, 2 players) 8:spade:

River: (40.95 BB, 2 players) J:spade:

BB wins 40.95 BB

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That donk bet is a weak hand far more often than a strong one, so I am totally happy to stack off for 20BB with AA. Dont get overly hung up on ICM. While it would be nice to get another payjump or two, you are the third shortest stack here, and dubbling up will significantly increase your chance of ending in top 3, where the real money is. Whereas if you put in a third of your stack only to fold on the turn, when you "could" be beat - remember you still would not know this - you might well end up busting next anyway. This was a perfect situation to win some chips, just did not work out this time.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
6 left on a 1$ 45-player s&g I face this lead from the BB having AA. There might be flush draws, straight draws and Kx but also 2 pairs and sets. Since there are only 6 players left, should I take a safer route and just call and re-evaluate turn?

PokerStars - 200/400 Ante 25 NL - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 10.55 BB
BB: 26.39 BB
UTG: 42.32 BB
MP: 57.19 BB
Hero (CO): 20.1 BB
BTN: 12.19 BB

6 players post ante of 0.06 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.87 BB) Hero has A A

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.1 BB, fold, fold, BB calls 1.1 BB

Flop: (5.07 BB, 2 players) 6 4 K
BB bets 5 BB, Hero raises to 17.94 BB and is all-in, BB calls 12.94 BB

Turn: (40.95 BB, 2 players) 8

River: (40.95 BB, 2 players) J

BB wins 40.95 BB

This hand looks very standard to me.

Next time you find yourself in this situation, play it the exact same way. ;)

K

kioge

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even if you just call on the flop, you have already pot committed.
I think it's hard for you to fold on the turn, even if a flush is made.
So the direct jam on the flop is not a bad decision, but it may be a coin flip.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I play this sng for 1$ on 45 players everyday. I think that you can't escape in this situation. If you raise 2,1x pre flop, sometimes you will have situations like this, monster on hand, somebody defend big blind and hits something strong on the flop. Sometimes somebody break our monster hand. I play raise 2,5x pre flop, usually I have more respect from opponents. If you have often situations like this, try to raise more pre flop, between 2,1x - 2,5x. GL :)

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As for me, it was played well. But pre-flop I would open 3bb to increase the post-flop bank.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played this hand perfectly. Nothing wrong with all your actions. Personally I'd raise -preflop 2.2-2.4 but that is my standard open for all hands - those who suggest changing the preflop open because you have AA are suggesting you do something that can be exploited by other players. Don't edit your preflop opening size just because you have a premium hand.

But - what did villain have in this hand I'm guessing K/J?

L

Lochika

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played hand perfectly.
His donk range on the flop is so weak vs your aces that folding there will be huge mistake. Beside two pairs that he could have there most of his range is the pair of fours or sixes, middle pair and maybesome kings that he think somehow he think that need protection againest your Ax hand wich you might check back. I do not think that he have sets there because I think he should jam the 44 and 66 pre flop. Actually he should have pocket kings that slow played, but there is no reason to donk them.
I think that there are a place to just call the turn with the aces if you think that he bluffs like flushes and gutshots there, but given the SPR it is fine to just shove on his dunk.
In any case, don't fold the aces!!!