$1 NLHE: Flopped Trips

W

Wardy88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$1 NL HE: Flopped Trips

Just a quick one, the final four of a MTT, did I play this wrong?

Stakes: 100/200, 25 ante

Hero (CO): 14,185 (70.9 bb)
BTN: 3,926 (19.6 bb)
SB: 7,144 (35.7 bb)
BB: 1,745 (8.7 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is CO with K
diamond4.gif
Q
diamond4.gif

Hero raises to 500, BTN calls 500, 2 folds

Flop: (1,400) K
club4.gif
T
spade4.gif
K
heart4.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets 600, BTN raises to 1,200, Hero raises to 13,660 and is all-in, BTN folds

Results: 3,800 pot
Final Board: K
club4.gif
T
spade4.gif
K
heart4.gif

Hero mucked K
diamond4.gif
Q
diamond4.gif
(three of a kind, Kings) and won 3,800 (2,075 net)

The 2.5x BB raise was consistently winning the blinds so other than that not being large enough are there any other mistakes?

I got berated with insults from the CO for making this play and I couldn't figure out why. I really didn't think that I played it wrong. Any advice would be appreciated.

Pokerstudent

Pokerstudent

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played it fine. But yeah, I would have raised to at least 80% of the pot. But I also would have expected him to fold after that. So the fact that your weak bet got a reraise from him is a bonus.

Not sure what they are talking about...

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raising KQs UTG when 4-handed is standard so no issues there.

How would opponents judge your c-bet here? was less than 50% standard? had you flop bet/fold a few time recently on paired boards?

Your play is very transparent here, it's very easy to put you on Kx. If you had KT/AK/TT you'd flat call here and then bet according to the turn or river cards since the pot will be greater than the BTNs remaining stack.

W

Wardy88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raising KQs UTG when 4-handed is standard so no issues there.

How would opponents judge your c-bet here? was less than 50% standard? had you flop bet/fold a few time recently on paired boards?

Your play is very transparent here, it's very easy to put you on Kx. If you had KT/AK/TT you'd flat call here and then bet according to the turn or river cards since the pot will be greater than the BTNs remaining stack.

The player I was against was actually playing quite tight and the small flop bet was trying to induce a call, my standard had been about %80 of the flop and I don't think any of my flop bets had been called or raised recently.

I know that my play is pretty transparent but remembering that this is a micro limit tourney and transparent play seems to work a lot of the time at these levels.

What specifically annoyed me was that he berated me for making this play from UTG (or CO 4 handed), and I couldn't understand why. I thought I might have been missing something strategic in the late stages of tournaments. But if not then all is good.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Z

ZCorky

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing wrong with the preflop raise but you may have been able to win his entire stack with a flat call. QJ or Q9 are really the only two hands that you don't want to be giving free cards to (AQ would shove preflop and any other straight draw makes your boat).

M

mrjohnson911

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he may also have berated him since he lost the pot.. dont have people confuse you and your play by stuff they say...

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm probably not shoving on the flop.

If it were me i'd just raise 3x his bet and you might get some extra chips out of it

Implied Odds3

Implied Odds3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You could have flatted his flop bet to get him to put it in on the turn.