Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Currency
$
Dear forum,

I'd like to get some feedback on this hand.

I was not getting any cards for 3 or 4 blind levels. This was the first real hand I've played. The first was from BB where I called a min-raise with 86s but folded on turn.

I will let you read the hand and would like some feedback until the river. I knew I was behind but I was annoyed I didn't hit anything and that was sort of a tilt move. I didn't want to play with my 6 bb left. :ROFLMAO:

pokerstars, $0.91 + $0.09 - Hold'em No Limit - 40/80 (10 ante) - 9 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

ninocabral (UTG): 2,696 (34 bb)
AndyreasDE (UTG+1): 1,397 (17 bb)

saimn1eks (MP): 1,295 (16 bb)
Allessand456 (MP+1): 1,088 (14 bb)
wolfzar (LP): 2,715 (34 bb)
Avnerbala (CO): 1,639 (20 bb)
Paneb87 (BU): 573 (7 bb)
h1karo777 (SB): 396 (5 bb)
MisterPock27 (BB): 3,808 (48 bb)

Pre-Flop: (210) Hero (AndyreasDE) is UTG+1 with A Q
ninocabral (UTG) raises to 176, AndyreasDE (UTG+1) 3-bets to 352, 7 players fold, ninocabral (UTG) calls 176

Flop: (914) 7 4 2 (2 players)
ninocabral (UTG) checks, AndyreasDE (UTG+1) bets 240, ninocabral (UTG) calls 240

Turn: (1,394) 5 (2 players)
ninocabral (UTG) checks, AndyreasDE (UTG+1) bets 320, ninocabral (UTG) calls 320

River: (2,034) 7 (2 players)
ninocabral (UTG) bets 400, AndyreasDE (UTG+1) raises to 475 (all-in), ninocabral (UTG) calls 75

Total pot: 2,984

Showdown:
AndyreasDE (UTG+1) shows A Q (a pair of Sevens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 45%, Flop: 22%, Turn: 14%, River: 0%)

ninocabral (UTG) shows 6 6 (two pair, Sevens and Sixes)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 55%, Flop: 78%, Turn: 86%, River: 100%)

ninocabral (UTG) wins 2,984

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
Dear forum,

I'd like to get some feedback on this hand.

I was not getting any cards for 3 or 4 blind levels. This was the first real hand I've played. The first was from BB where I called a min-raise with 86s but folded on turn.

I will let you read the hand and would like some feedback until the river. I knew I was behind but I was annoyed I didn't hit anything and that was sort of a tilt move. I didn't want to play with my 6 bb left. :ROFLMAO:

PokerStars, $0.91 + $0.09 - Hold'em No Limit - 40/80 (10 ante) - 9 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

ninocabral (UTG): 2,696 (34 bb)
AndyreasDE (UTG+1): 1,397 (17 bb)

saimn1eks (MP): 1,295 (16 bb)
Allessand456 (MP+1): 1,088 (14 bb)
wolfzar (LP): 2,715 (34 bb)
Avnerbala (CO): 1,639 (20 bb)
Paneb87 (BU): 573 (7 bb)
h1karo777 (SB): 396 (5 bb)
MisterPock27 (BB): 3,808 (48 bb)

Pre-Flop: (210) Hero (AndyreasDE) is UTG+1 with A Q
ninocabral (UTG) raises to 176, AndyreasDE (UTG+1) 3-bets to 352, 7 players fold, ninocabral (UTG) calls 176

Flop: (914) 7 4 2 (2 players)
ninocabral (UTG) checks, AndyreasDE (UTG+1) bets 240, ninocabral (UTG) calls 240

Turn: (1,394) 5 (2 players)
ninocabral (UTG) checks, AndyreasDE (UTG+1) bets 320, ninocabral (UTG) calls 320

River: (2,034) 7 (2 players)
ninocabral (UTG) bets 400, AndyreasDE (UTG+1) raises to 475 (all-in), ninocabral (UTG) calls 75

Total pot: 2,984

Showdown:
AndyreasDE (UTG+1) shows A Q (a pair of Sevens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 45%, Flop: 22%, Turn: 14%, River: 0%)

ninocabral (UTG) shows 6 6 (two pair, Sevens and Sixes)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 55%, Flop: 78%, Turn: 86%, River: 100%)

ninocabral (UTG) wins 2,984
If the board did not pair you would have won 🏆

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If UTG is a bit of a nit, I would just fold this hand, and against everyone else AQo is a marginal but profitable rejam with 17BB. The only reason, I would ever do anything other than jam or fold is, if I had aces or kings and wanted to play them trappy. In that case I might just call and hope to induce someone behind to squeeze. Postflop is a bit of a trainwreck, because you created such a low SPR pot, where you have very little room to maneuver. However if you play preflop better, then postflop dont even happen, so focus on preflop and fix your mistakes there :)

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I knew I was behind but I was annoyed I didn't hit anything and that was sort of a tilt move. I didn't want to play with my 6 bb left. :ROFLMAO:
Hello Andyreas,

Pitty that your premium cards did not win :cry:, but allow me to point out some ideas here.

It is great that you are reviewing the hand and getting feedback from others.(y) I enjoy getting ideas from others too and invite you to check out my Zero bankroll Builder Challenge.

The first idea here is that you probably did not have enough chips to put pressure on the villain. This is something that a bigger stack can do. So the villain has you covered and his tourney is not at risk.

Second, if you do not connect with the cards after a 3 x BB bet or raise pre-flop, you can check back and allow the villain to take some action. I have played hands like this and placed the villain on two overcards and call all bets down to the river to rake in a huge pot with small pairs. A check can be a powerful bid, especially when you expect a villain to continue betting. Check this out - https://www.replaypoker.com/replay/886904346

The last idea here is that folding with 6 BB left and waiting for the right shove can result in a triple-up or catching 4 limpers at a time and leave you much better off than you think. It has happened to me, I shove as the short stack, get action from 4 callers and one of them chases the others away only to lose to me and make me happy. Just like that, you are back in the game. :LOL:

Kudos to you on the initial play. Many persons would have just shoved with AQ and probably shrugged at the loss and say "that's poker", but to get in there and play out the hand and then make a big fold to remain in the tournament, can lead to a great result if you find the discipline.

Keep fighting at the table, but not those battles that you are not a favourite and are expecting to lose. :cool:

See you at the tables.

Last edited:

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Imo you mis-played every street in this hand outside of possibly the river which you should not have got to in the way you did. Pre flop with 17 BBs should be a spot where we are looking to re-jam over openers and especially openers that open what I would call normally or at least somewhat wide. Fundiver makes the point against nits not to do this which is true but they have to be pretty nitty for me not to rejam here. Stage of the tournament depends too as almost on the bubble (right or wrong) I could talk myself out of rejams but if we are far from the money and nowhere near an average stack in the tourney then with AQ I only worry about running into QQ+ and AK and am willing to flip to get a more playable stack. Even if we run into JJ I dont mind it with even though we would be flipping to the bad (43% ish). It is nice to have fold equity though so yes, against the nittiest you can fold but against anyone raising 14% of hands plus I would be rejamming. Just for the record, I think your min raise is the worst move you can do. You should be jamming here or folding here.

On the flop as played, you are in the same spot as you were pre flop really. I hate small betting here as you did. Since we have about pot left I would either jam it in and try to rep a big pocket pair or just check. You might even get AK to fold here assuming villain would only call your raise pre with that. I doubt you get 88-1010 to fold here assuming they just call pre but you might get them to think about folding that hand.

The turn as played you put yourself in a weird spot since you misplayed pre and flop with bet sizings. At this point where villain hasnt folded yet I would check turn and pray that I somehow can get through the river (which I would doubt) without having to put anymore in and maybe Ace high is good. We only have a little more than half pot left and not sure what villain would fold to that bet sizing after calling pre and flop.

River as played is I guess is what to do just because you dug your own grave by that point already and with 475 left I guess I am putting it in on a wing and a prayer but it is never good here. Again, you should have not got to the river without having all your chips in the middle by the river or being out of the hand somehow by the river.

I hope this post did not come off harsh and cruel because it was not meant to be. Trying to be constructive and give my opinion based on the hand. I do really think you misplayed multiple streets here with preflop being the one that started the rest of the mess. It goes to show that making a large mistake on one street can cascade to all other streets. We all do it (myself numerous times daily lol) but all we can do is read all others posts and opinions and try to get better.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I hope this post did not come off harsh and cruel because it was not meant to be. Trying to be constructive and give my opinion based on the hand. I do really think you misplayed multiple streets here with preflop being the one that started the rest of the mess. It goes to show that making a large mistake on one street can cascade to all other streets.
You post is what I'd put in the category "brutally honest" which is sorta harsh by default but the good kind of it. 🤓

I highly appreciate your time and dedication to write down this detailed analysis and definitely will take away several things from it and try to keep it in mind next time. :)

I think it's totally fine to make mistakes but we should learn from them which is what I'll try to do. 👍