$1 AKs in BB vs UTG raise

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
...Final Table, no reads on player...

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.1 Tournament, 625/1250 Blinds 150 Ante (8 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button (t10820)
SB (t15650)
Hero (BB) (t11130)
UTG (t12725)
UTG+1 (t35390)
MP1 (t16935)
MP2 (t870)
CO (t31480)

Hero's M: 3.62

Preflop: Hero is BB with K
heart.gif
, A
heart.gif

2 folds, MP1 bets t5000, 4 folds, Hero...???

I'm obviously get all my money in with this hand, but my question is how should I get it in? My two options are: Shove or Call, shove flop (stop 'n go).

So, which play would be more effective here?

Lets assume villain is raising with 77 in this spot and we can safely say that villain is calling for another ~6000 more 100% of the time. This might be a good situation for use to be in a race, but the villain gets to see all 5 cards 100% of the time. So, if I'm up against a pair, I'm going to have to hit in order to win.

If we try the stop 'n go and shove any flop, the villain may not call our post-flop shove 100% of the time. For example if the flop comes 59Q rainbow, it might be harder for him to call a ~6000 shove on this board.

So, in situations where I know my opponent is going to call 100% of the time if I shove preflop, is the stop 'n go a better option most of the time?

Last edited:
tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Convert your hand. (especially one with antes)

Stop and go, or shove is fine. I'd usually stop and go in this spot.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd prefer the stop-n-go also but the shove is fine too. The skill level at this buy-in is so wide that either play works just the same. If you had any reads on the opponent then you might prefer one to the other.

C

crow27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
+1 with jilly and bob. At the donky levels you won't get called with a stop n go move ALL the time, especially if someone has a med. PP. But it happens enough, I've seen players call AI with as little as A 10 post flop with a dry board. Again though, if you do have a read on your villain, one may work better than the other.

Vollycat

Vollycat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd shove. Try and get the pot right now. AKs is great and all, but still loses to any pocket pair, which the villain could easily have. Take this pot and your 3rd in chips and then can start picking on the smaller stacks. However, I'd jsut assume not see a flop and risk a coin flip without better info.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I probably just shove it preflop.

We get called by a few more hands that we're a slight dog against if we shove preflop, but we lose action from a bunch of worse hands that might've called a shove preflop with the stop and go.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im not sure if i want fold equity with this hand so id prob shove it.. i want to double up here and AK gets called by worse aces so id shove pre and hope for a call.. id try a stop n go with a weaker hand though... to try and manufacture some fold equity...

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you know what i change my mind.. i do want more fold equity the pot is big enough anyway.. i stop and go this situation... big pairs id reshove with hoping to get a call..

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
im not sure if i want fold equity with this hand so id prob shove it.. i want to double up here and AK gets called by worse aces so id shove pre and hope for a call.. id try a stop n go with a weaker hand though... to try and manufacture some fold equity...
you know what i change my mind.. i do want more fold equity the pot is big enough anyway.. i stop and go this situation... big pairs id reshove with hoping to get a call..
...LOL, this was exactly what was going on in my head. Do I shove with very little FE, hope opponent calls will a weaker hand/hope my hand hits/pray villain doesn't hit? Or is the pot big enough and have (just) enough FE to try a stop 'n go?

Interesting how you changed your mind, though.