$1.77 NLHE MTT Turbo: Bust out on 3rd hand

B

blobman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is very early in a turbo MTT. I busted out on this hand on what seems like very poor play. I'd like some advice on what I should've done in this scenario. Playing 7-handed.

Hero (BB): 75BB
UTG+1: 75.5BB
UTG+2: 75BB
Dealer: 61BB

Preflop: (pot 1.5BB) hero has As 5s
fold, UTG+1 calls 1BB, UTG+2 raises to 3BB, fold, Dealer raises to 5BB, SB folds, Hero raises to 16BB, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls 13BB, Dealer calls 11BB

Flop: (42.5BB, 3 players) 6c Ac Qd (so I have top pair)
Hero bets 25BB, UTG+2 calls 25BB, Dealer folds

Turn: (92.5BB, 2 players) Th
Hero bets 34BB (all-in), UTG+2 calls 34BB (all-in)

What do you think of how I played this hand? The all-in was probably premature on account of the low kicker. Does the low buy-in and/or turbo structure affect how I should've played this hand?

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I *may* have called the 3BB raise if the button had flatted instead of raising, I think it's too early to start 4-betting with a weak Ace and I assume no reads. The cold 4-bet looks really strong, but the problem is that if it's very early in low buy-in games you get a lot of gamblers who refuse to fold once they're in the pot. A5 isn't a hand that plays well post-flop, especially out of position.

Even flatting the 3-bet is problematic, because your call doesn't close the action and you don't know what UTG+2 is going to do.

I think it would have been best to just fold pre here and move on. It's a turbo, but you still had time.

B

blobman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advice. It's hard to fold aces, especially suited aces, pre-flop when playing shorthanded. If it was full ring I would've folded after I was re-raised.

I suppose saying I busted out was a spoiler. My opponent showed pocket queens for trips and rivered quads.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The kicker is much more important than suitedness, which IIRC adds only about 5% to your equity. TBH after thinking about this one a little more I'm always folding here, primarily because of position.

The villains flatting to see the flop like this can be suggestive of AK/AQ or QQ-TT type holdings, most likely not AA/KK because people usually want to get it in preflop with these if it looks like there's going to be a multiway pot.

Also, be careful of too heavily discounting the possibility that somebody has you outkicked even though you're not at a full table, I was in a game recently where I had Q7 in the BB and saw a QQx flop with one limper. Based on previous reads and the post-flop action, I smelled a rat so I folded on the turn and the villain showed Q9.

Moral of the story is, yes, it's less likely that somebody else has an Ace when you have one, but be careful about deciding too quickly that they don't. You have to at least be open to the possibility. I don't know about other people, but I consider short-handed to be 5 or less at the table.

Last edited:
Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands