$1.75 NLHE STT Turbo: Was this a correct move with my top pair or is it too aggressive

luciusyg

luciusyg

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$1.75 NLHE STT Turbo: Was this a correct move with my top pair or is it too aggressive

poker stars $1.50+$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t100/t200 Blinds - 5 players
The DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

UTG: t1050 5.25 BBs
CO: t3653 18.27 BBs
BTN: t4500 22.50 BBs
SB: t3367 16.84 BBs
Hero (BB): t2105 10.53 BBs

Pre Flop: (t300) Hero is BB with Tc 6s
UTG calls t200, 3 folds, Hero checks

Flop: (t500) Td 7d 8h (2 players)
Hero bets t850, UTG calls t850 all in

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a turbo you need to be aggressive so I don't mind the shove here with top pair. The villain limp is a bit curious though so I'd suspect a PP of some sort.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the player, does he limp a lot?

Is he aggressive?

If so betting smaller or check/raising or even folding are all viable options, depending on how we percieve this player.

Generally, this limp is pretty weak from a bad player, so we almost certainly have the best hand here, So it's a choice between check/raising and leading out, if you have an aggro opponant i'm likely check/raising if he's passive then i'm likely leading to around180-200 or so.

luciusyg

luciusyg

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain had a VPIP 9% (69 hands seen), PFR 6% AND Agg 0.

L

losched16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So the villain has 5BB and is limping in UTG. Sure he could be one of those players looking to trap with AA or KK by limping, or if he does not have one of those 2 hands, then limping with anything else is a pretty bad play. In general though, I am happy to get it in with top pair at this stage of the game. Here are few things to think about.

What are your options?

. Option 1: You check, he bets (any amount is really pot committing for him at this point). Are you folding here? If so you are saying that he either did limp in with big pockets, or he actually limped in UTG with a hand like A10, K10, etc...With 5 BB if he did limp in with the latter (A10, K10...), then that is a bad play all together. You can then label him as so, in which case I will always be happy to get it in with top pair in a similiar situation when this person limps in, since he is capable of having anything.

. Option 2: Pot is 500, UTG has 850. You bet (say 200 instead of 850), UTG goes all in for 850. So the pot is now 1550, and it costs you another 650 to call. You are getting better than 2:1 on a call here, so you need to call. A worse play would be leading out then folding. My point is, in the situation where you lead out, whether you lead out for all his chips, or a smaller amount like 200, you are going to be all in regardless.

So overall, I'm fine with getting it all in on the flop here (again barring the situation where you know this player would only make this play with AA or KK, but I think at the 1.75 level, you are going to see a lot more players limping in with more hands than premium pockets). And I like leading out here, because it you go check-check, and a J+ falls on the turn, your decision becomes a lot more difficult from here on out. So get it in when you a probably good. What did he end up showing?

ripclawph

ripclawph

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
seems like he is a tight one. im suspecting an overpair in his hands. but you cant fold here since you'll be the short stack so better take the gamble.

luciusyg

luciusyg

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys he threw down AA :thrasher:

L

losched16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ha, of course. Now you can make a note on that player about limping with AA as a short stack so that red flags can go up next time.

G

Gunner57

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 20-20 hindsight vision here is my take:

With his stats he seemed very passive but I dont think you can feel to bad not putting him on AA on this one. I think part of you knew that this guy was passive possibly "Nittish" but you caught a good flop with a mediocer starting hand on the BB against a passive player. You cant play scared like this villan so playing agrresive I think is the right thing to do here.

With his stats he looks to be Tight Passive and possibly a bit Nitty. I think his range is AK-A10o, AK-A9s, and any pocket pair. Unfortunatly, it makes sense to leave top hands in his range with the limp in position due to low passiveness and tightness. Because of his limp and your catch on the flop you NEED to bet to see where you stand.

All in here on the flop IMO is not terrible but not optimal. The best bet would have been 200-400 on the flop. Your hand is good but not strong so a fold by him is good and a min bet to 4/5 pot bet will result in a fold from this guy most of the time unless he has a made hand. If he calls there is a good chance he has you beat or is on a good draw as he either has a 9, T with better kicker, set, 2 diamonds, Overpair, or best you could hope for 2 overs (but I think he may fold 2 overs). So if he calls I would be carefull of what the next move is depending on the turn card. If he raises then you have to decide what to do as the chances of you being behind are high.

Logically looking at it I cant see how the all in here is to your advantage over a smaller bet (maybe if he was tiliting get him to call with 2 over cards?) but I have to admit if I were in your position I may have gone all in too. The thing is with that bet the weak hand will fold and the hand that has you beat will call.

The good news is even if you are beat you caught top pair and have the gut str8 draw and can still catch 2 pair or trips (9 outs) so at least you are not drawing dead if he has overpair and it is his life on the line. The only hands that really kill you and your outs if you go all in are if he has a set or JJ (I dont think this guy would call with AJ).

So with hindsight I think your bet was not bad but just not optimal. Before you bet think about what it is you want the villan to do, then bet the least amount that will get him to do that. I think you could have attempted to get his weak hand to fold here much cheaper and thus would have found out how strong his hand was at a lower cost.

C

ClubArrow77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
UTG played that hand really badly and got a good flop. I think also had too little information. If you knew he was a passive player, you might want to raise half the pot or just check and see if he bets. If the guy checks you down with Aces, hes an idiot who lost money.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The guy has 5bb's and limps from UTG, so before we proceed with the hand we need to decide what his range looks like - how did he lose his stack? Has he been donking around in a lot of pots? Is this his first limp?

Without any reads my reaction is that there is a chance he has AA/KK, but it is more likely that he has some junky ace or a broadway hand rather than a monster. That being said, when this flop hits, what hand will call a shove that we can beat? Did he limp T5s? 98o? Probably not. Of course if he's bad he might call a shove with QJo or something, but even that has 10 outs against us, so that's not a great spot for us. So while the t500 in the pot represents a big gain for us, I don't think shoving is the best option.

So do we bet smaller, or do we check/raise? It depends. If you think he'll bet if checked to, then your decision is pretty easy, but if he's more passive, then maybe a check isn't as good, since you risk giving a free card. At the same time, if you bet and get called, you're pretty much committed to the hand and you don't know if you beat anything. So I guess what I'm saying is that a check is best, hopefully he bets, but if he checks it back you can reevaluate on the turn.