$1.75 NLHE STT: Final table Did I over play my AK?

luciusyg

luciusyg

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker stars $1.50+$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t400/t800 Blinds + t50 - 6 players

BTN: t3915 M = 2.61
SB: t3880 M = 2.59
BB: t8708 M = 5.81
Hero (UTG): t4934 M = 3.29
MP: t1473 M = 0.98
CO: t4090 M = 2.73

Pre Flop: (t1500) Hero is UTG with Kc As
Hero raises to t2000, 2 folds, BTN raises to t3865 all in, 2 folds, Hero calls t1865

Flop: (t9230) 9d Ad 6s (2 players - 1 is all in)

Turn: (t9230) Ts (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: (t9230) 4s (2 players - 1 is all in)

Villain is VPIP 18, PFR 18, CPFR 5

I was 2nd in the chip lead... how could I have played this hand better? Should I have even played this hand? :confused:

Thanks in advance guys!

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just shove pre, we're incredibly short

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
zero reason to do anything other than shove.

G

Gunner57

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At first I thought maybe a min raise would be ok (to get action) and then raise all in on the flop.....

However after looking closer your M is WAY low and the blinds & Antes are WAY HIGH. So I think it is better to just ship it in. If you win blinds and antes you basiclly get 1/2 your stack if called you have a strong hand. You dont have any room to make a play off of the flop anyway if you min raise and you dont want to limp and let others in the door with live cards... Just throw it all in.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, no way we can afford to min-raise here, get flat called and have the flop come down some random board and have someone lead into us. May not happen very often, but when it does, it's a friggin nightmare.

luciusyg

luciusyg

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys will shove it next time!

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, open shove this all day long. Since everyone's short you'll get called by loads of worse hands and if everyone folds you've still added a huge chunk to your stack.

C

ClubArrow77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should shove preflop. You dont want to "get action" with AK because it is a drawing hand that really only gains showdown value if you connect with the board. By shoving, you gain fold equity and by taking down the blinds, add a significant amount to your stack (1200 or about 22% of your entire stack). By stealing the blinds, you gain the ability to survive another round of cards. Also, by shoving with AK, you are more likely to be called with short stacks that are desperate for double ups rather than the bigger stacks that don't want to risk their chances with a coin flip, meaning that you are more likely to be called with hands worse than AK and will be able to survive losing the shove.

By min raising here, your putting yourself in a tough position by giving the other stacks fold equity against you by shoving, forfeiting your raise. Not only does this reduce your chances of winning the pot (shoving allows you to win by having the best hand or getting your opponents to fold while calling only allows you to win if you have the best hand) you are more likely to be up against a stronger range of hands.

gefishy

gefishy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is good info. May seem obvious but I have recently been burned with this hand and it helps to get confirmation that I was ok pushing with my AK...

Good luck out there!

L

losched16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is good info. May seem obvious but I have recently been burned with this hand and it helps to get confirmation that I was ok pushing with my AK...

Good luck out there!
Obviously the consensus is to shove. But getfishy, if you are gunshy with shoving AK with under 5BB effective stack, then what are you going to shove, just big pockets? Also, you need to be shoving pretty wide now regardless to preserve any fold equity that you have left.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I shove ATC from CO/SB/BTN if I get the chance so I don't end up with 5bb. If I do somehow end up with 5bb, I fist pump and shove