$1.65 NLHE STT: Bad call or bad luck?

R

RealChaser74

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a History with the Villian here. we have about 300 hands together and when he gets to a short stack he will tend to open shove with any paint card/rag. I am just wondering if I played this correctly or not since a firend of mine seems to think I played this hand completely wrong and should have folded

Winning Poker Network - 50/100 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 11.14 BB
BTN: 25.2 BB
SB: 32.97 BB
Hero (BB): 20.69 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q K

CO raises to 11.14 BB and is all-in, fold, fold, Hero calls 10.14 BB

Flop: (22.78 BB, 2 players) 3 8 2

Turn: (22.78 BB, 2 players) 8 ♠

River: (22.78 BB, 2 players) 6

Last edited by a moderator:
OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he were a lot shorter I can see a call being an option, and my SnG strategy memory is a little hazy, but for 10+BB I think it's a fold - even with our read. We're the middle stack on the bubble, which should make us the most risk-averse of the players as we've got so much to lose (especially if we trade places with the short stack, which is what losing this pot will do).

R

RealChaser74

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6 max only pays top 2 on winning and over the course of this STT I have seen him go from a short stack ~5BB to a Huge stack ~50BB and he was on his way back down. He had 66 and ended up making me the short stack. I fought my way back and did manage to knock him out about 15 hands later to make him the bubble boy

B

BigThingWithHolesInIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I would've made the call here.
I realize chips lost are worth a lot more than chips won at this stage.
Assuming the read is accurate, we are about a 60% favorite here.
Now, I can see how that may not be good enough. I'm having a hard time though to come up with the correct amount of equity we'd need to make the call here. OzExorcist or Lucothefish (or someone else), what is your calling range here?

R

RealChaser74

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had this been any other player at the entire table I would have snap folded.

Here is the math response from my friend when i asked why he thought i should have folded
KQ is only 50/50 against a 25% range, and even against a guy shoving 50% you're only a 55/45 favorite

So I am not really sure. i did lose the pot

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your friend knows the problem with KQ. Preflop:

- You're a slight dog to any Ace
- You're a slight dog to any PP
- You're about 60/40 to two random undercards
- You're about 65% vs 72o iirc
- You only dominate Kx and Qx hands

On the flipside, KQ is rarely dominated (QQ+,AQ+ only) which makes it a great hand to open with, but calling shoves with KQ even against a random hand is essentially gamb00l

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry, missed this was 6-max. That changes things, but I think we still fold in this spot and instead look for other opportunities to be more aggressive ourselves.

T

thomasrulz2001

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and i agree, you make money at players hangin themselvs more than setting traps

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Your hand was worth a raise, maybe 2.5BBs, and folding to an all-in. But I couldn't find an all-in call with it with 21 BBs left.In my mind any paint also includes Ax.

Rappyness

Rappyness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You shouldve definitely folded your hand especially you knew the guy goes all in with rags. I dont know about you but I wouldve definitely folded because you werent really commited to pot anyways.

R

RealChaser74

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now having gone through some poker training I do see folding was about the only option here. My friends has been very gracious to point out a lot of leaks and they are getting plugged

K

kmbpoker

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
you had a good hand but a drawing hand is rarely a allin calling hand preflop .usully you want players reacting to you not your reacting to them. i agree with your friend.