$1.50 NLHE STT: Are you ever calling/shoving this late with AJo?

mrdeedreid

mrdeedreid

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used DC convertor for this hand. The hands won't convert in CC bc my HH is in the wrong format (or so it says when I try to convert). If someone knows how to fix this problem, let me know.

Here it is:

Cassava Poker $1.35 + $0.15
No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t200/t400 Blinds - 3 players

BB: t852 2.13 BBs
BTN: t5740 14.35 BBs
Hero (SB): t2408 6.02 BBs

Pre Flop: (t600) Hero is SB with As Jh
BTN raises to t800, Hero raises to t2368, 1 fold

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yep. shove. well done

flatting the raise would be bad, and if he jammed into you first, instead of just raising, I might fold AJ and call with AQ...I might actually fold AQ also because the short stack is practically pot committed to call with any 2...depends on how the big stack has been playing

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is a 6max bubble right?

if it is, it's a clear call/try to get the BB to put it in before you commit anymore chips. shoving is absolutely the worst thing you could possibly do here. folding is way better than shoving, calling and trying to knock out the BB with the other player is by far the best option here.

if it's a 9man, then just shove, who cares.. (though techincally, the same thought process would be fine also)

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never considered this being a 6max...since I don't play those.
So, yeah if were on the bubble disregard my last post...actually I know nothing about 6max

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At 3 handed, AJ is a monster.
I would be happy to put all at the center win or loss. :)

mrdeedreid

mrdeedreid

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep. 6max bubble.

this is a 6max bubble right?

if it is, it's a clear call/try to get the BB to put it in before you commit anymore chips.

shoving is absolutely the worst thing you could possibly do here. folding is way better than shoving, calling and trying to knock out the BB with the other player is by far the best option here.

if it's a 9man, then just shove, who cares.. (though techincally, the same thought process would be fine also)

Yes. This is a 6max bubble.

So, even though I have what I think is a relatively decent hand, it's the wrong time to aggress given the bubble situation? The goal is not to get into a war with the chip leader, right? Would you even play this hand postflop (being preflop aggressor or course) or at all? I felt like I was in an awkward situation given the high blinds and relative medium stack size and hand. I was thinking something like "blinds are high, this hand is relatively good, don't get blinded out (even though I know I'm not the short stack)".

Last edited:
horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here in think nothing, in bubble easy fold , in this situation when after us have short stack, we can call only with +88 , AQs+..

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. This is a 6max bubble.

So, even though I have what I think is a relatively decent hand, it's the wrong time to aggress given the bubble situation? The goal is not to get into a war with the chip leader, right? Would you even play this hand postflop (being preflop aggressor or course) or at all? I felt like I was in an awkward situation given the high blinds and relative medium stack size and hand. I was thinking something like "blinds are high, this hand is relatively good, don't get blinded out (even though I know I'm not the short stack)".

It's not about our hand, it's about the bubble situation, always!

Here, we have a BB who is committed in the BB, so if we fold, he really has no choice but to put his chips in, so we get a free chance to cash. So folding allows us to cash 50% of the time (very rough math, but whatever)

Now if we shove, it allows the BB to think "oh, wow, cool! i'm gonna fold here and allow these guys to get it in and i get a free chance at cashing! awesome!!!!"

Now if we call the BB has very few options again, if he folds and we go postflop, we're only putting in chips with very strong hands. Most of the time however the BB shoves, the button calls and we call. So now, we essentially cash 60-70% of the time, and since our hand is strong, we also pick up the pot sometimes, meaning we have a nice stack to play HU.

Make sense? It's all about the stack sizes. Each stack represents $equity in the tournament. so we make decisions based upon that, not the stregth of our facecards (though it's a consideration of course).

I don't think there is any hand i would shove here tbh, i'd even just call with AA for the same reasons. But then i'd shove most flops if the BB puts in his stack.

Basically in these spots, whenever we have double the amount of chips to our nearest competitor, it's a sign that we need to be playing very cautious and we're essentially trying to outlast him/ put pressure on him whenever possible, but steering clear of the bigger stack.

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Here, we have a BB who is committed in the BB, so if we fold, he really has no choice but to put his chips in, so we get a free chance to cash. So folding allows us to cash 50% of the time (very rough math, but whatever)

Now if we shove, it allows the BB to think "oh, wow, cool! i'm gonna fold here and allow these guys to get it in and i get a free chance at cashing! awesome!!!!"

Now if we call the BB has very few options again, if he folds and we go postflop, we're only putting in chips with very strong hands. Most of the time however the BB shoves, the button calls and we call. So now, we essentially cash 60-70% of the time, and since our hand is strong, we also pick up the pot sometimes, meaning we have a nice stack to play HU.

Make sense? It's all about the stack sizes. Each stack represents $equity in the tournament. so we make decisions based upon that, not the stregth of our facecards (though it's a consideration of course).

I don't think there is any hand i would shove here tbh, i'd even just call with AA for the same reasons. But then i'd shove most flops if the BB puts in his stack.

Basically in these spots, whenever we have double the amount of chips to our nearest competitor, it's a sign that we need to be playing very cautious and we're essentially trying to outlast him/ put pressure on him whenever possible, but steering clear of the bigger stack.

Yea this is the most sound advice. I used to play tons of 6 max sngs (hyper turbos) and those are pretty much shove fold games. Sometimes, its all about lasting longer than it is trying to double up. especially on the button. In the 6 max games we want to win no dought but sometimes its better to cash and start up 2 more games than to risk busting and be out. Even if you got it in good. Survival is how you win sngs... the varience in SNGs can be brutal. Unlike cash you can control varience to an extent. but in SNGs sometimes being ahead will get you KOed reguardless, and you cant rebuy in a sng. some may argue with me but thats how i feel :)

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What? You have maybe 20 hands left if you fold. 3 handed you have to consider this to be a premium hand.

Why leave 40 behind? Taxi fare home? Phone call?

That said, we really don't know much from that obviously edited HH.

Last edited:
Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wonder if / how much the BTN's style matters. We know when he opens that he has a hand he's willing to play for the BB's small stack, but can how tight or loose his ranges for opening and for calling if we shove affect what we should do?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what a great explanation WiZZim!

I have known and read those things but found them sometimes difficult to apply at the table...but you spelled it out very clearly with good examples!

thanks! :)

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

+1

D

DonkeyH3AD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AJ is monster on that spot You shoved it correctly
How many paid place is there? it is 6 max tour?