$1.50 NLHE STT Turbo: $1,50 NLHE STT Turbo: KK with an A high flop c-bet or no?

X

xCEZRx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just played this hand and I was hoping to get some tips to what to do in this situation.

poker stars $1.32+$0.18 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t25/t50 Blinds + t6 - 7 players

UTG+1: t1268 M = 10.84
MP: t1112 M = 9.50
CO: t1740 M = 14.87
Hero (BTN): t1670 M = 14.27
SB: t1407 M = 12.03
BB: t1667 M = 14.25
UTG: t4636 M = 39.62

Pre Flop: (t117) Hero is BTN with Ks Kc
UTG raises to t150, UTG+1 calls t150, 2 folds, Hero raises to t350, 2 folds, UTG calls t200, UTG+1 calls t200

Flop: (t1167) 4d Ah 8h (3 players)
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets t500, UTG raises to t1350, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls t814 all in

Turn: (t3795) 3s (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: (t3795) 5h (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: t3795
Hero shows Ks Kc (a pair of Kings)
UTG shows Qc Ac (a pair of Aces)
UTG wins t3795

PCK

PCK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With that 3x open from UTG and with UTG+1 call ,you`re 3bet is small,but on that flop is good to check..

L

limakpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I look at this hand like that:
It always depend on the players (tight or loose) but in general raise from UTG looks really strong ,he could have 77+ AT+ KQ,KJ many aces in his range. UTG1 again really wide range, many aces in there. And here there is justification for c-bet since they showed weakness through checking and you had position. However, the normal for thing UTG or UTG1 is to wait for a preflop raiser to c-bet so this isn't necessarily a weakness. therefore checking behind would be good. But if you checked behind the flop and than one of them bet the turn, you would have a very difficult decision to make so c bet is fine as well in my opinion to get more information.

and then Would they check-raise the flop with ace on the board without any decent hand ? I don't think so.
There is no reason to think that UTg is trying to check raise semi bluff with the flush draw because of the ace on the flop and another player left.
I would prabobly c-bet and give up to a check -raise.

In terms of betting preflop there is a open and called and your 3-bet could be bigger 3 x initial raise so 450 . this would make one of them fold and decrease your chances of being outdrawn. I think with kings you should play a hand against minimum number of opponents. i understand that you tried get the most from KK but as I said when ace falls on the flop you must be prepared to fold especially against more than one opponent.

Last edited:
X

xCEZRx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, so re-raise bigger and check if an ace comes on the flop, thanks guys!

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise bigger pre indeed. Maybe it is better to just shove pre. If you make it around 600 and a ace comes on the flop, what are you going to do already having invested 600 from your 1600 stack? Folding sucks right, but is the best thing to do. Besides that, if you make it 600 with 1600 behind you look realy strong, if you shove you look weaker. I think the best here is to shove pre.

iflylight

iflylight

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1st mistake was raising way to small pf it was really not enough at these lower limit games you really need to go for big value pf so i would have bet 600 or maybe morenever less though and with the utg raises and call form utg+1 thats a lot of strength from that position and and with utg having so many chips he will probably call and you really want this pot heads up because kings are hard to play on alot of board textures.

mistake 2 that is one of the worst spots to c bet in the whole of poker what worse hands are calling you with two players behind and they showed strength preflop by calling a 3 bet and utg+1 overcalling what are you repping?? and there is pretty much no hand you are getting value from that didnt 4 bet pf. also any ace has you crushed and 95% of the time one of these guys has and ace. also if you check and one of the guys leads on the turn small you maybe peel once but if he bets big i think its a fold pretty much all the time.

mistake 3 your piece de resistance he raises your c bet all in and you CALL??????? there is about 0.1% chance he is bluffing and you are drawing to 2 outs nearly every time this postflop action by you was very pointless waste of a game.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just shove and hope someone will call with a medium strength hand.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Often an UTG raise is some kind of ace; not always, still, with one other early caller I would have just called the 3x to see a flop. The reason is that it's early in the MTT. Without an ace on a flop, you might extract some more value from being in position. As soon as the ace hits in a three way pot, you're done.

It's only one pair.

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just shove and hope someone will call with a medium strength hand.

Shove with 33BB? :confused:

Pre-flop raise should have been higher, possibly to narrow the field, somewhere in the range of (3-4 times OR). If both of them called, and an ace hits, I'm done (Check flop, and turn if checked around to me, might bet 2/3rd of Pot and that too depends on the situation). If only one called and checked, I would have definitely c-bet. But against two player, its a mistake to c-bet.

Last edited:
A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have just called the 3x to see a flop. The reason is that it's early in the MTT. Without an ace on a flop, you might extract some more value from being in position. As soon as the ace hits in a three way pot, you're done.

It's only one pair.

Jep agree (one possibility) or just 3bet/jam preflop (no info Early Stage)!

As played: do not cbet on flop and fold your hand ASAP. imo

preflop raise should be bigger if decide to jam! imo

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Often an UTG raise is some kind of ace; not always, still, with one other early caller I would have just called the 3x to see a flop. The reason is that it's early in the MTT. Without an ace on a flop, you might extract some more value from being in position. As soon as the ace hits in a three way pot, you're done.

It's only one pair.

LOL

fwiw, it's a $1 STT Turbo

Maybe they should wait til' they turn quads or top set before raising?

OP, my best advice is Do not listen to any of Michael Paler's advice

P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It's only one pair.

Your advice, with the second best starting hand in poker, is essentially to call and hope there isn't an ace on the flop. This is a 3-bet situation all day every day. What is your 3-bet range? AA only?

As played others have already covered it but agree that hero needed to 3-bet bigger and, based on the pre-flop action, check the flop as it is almost certain that one, if not both, of the villains has an ace. At this point take the free card and hope to turn a set but fold to any turn bet if you don't.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
check that flop and try to get to showdown, be quite happy folding.

also the raise size preflop is totally fine, any larger and we are committed to the pot so much. since an ace flops like 20% of the time, we need to plan for that, so i think his sizing is close to ideal. If you make it any bigger you might as well just jam it in preflop..

c-bet on this board is pretty bad, you are basically bluffing, once he jams over you are kind of commited but you have very little equity vs his range which is Ax a ton, you will be ahead here sometimes but it will be rare.