$1.50 NLHE STT: Stack size to shove or 3 bet ?

L

limakpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JUst have been moved from another table so no reads on my opponent.

I have 19 BB should I make a small 3 bet to find out if I'm against bigger pair or Is shove a good option?

poker stars $1.36+$0.14 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t60/t120 Blinds + t15 - 9 players - View hand 2706222
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

MP1: t3107 M = 9.86
MP2: t2420 M = 7.68
CO: t1934 M = 6.14
Hero (BTN): t2295 M = 7.29
SB: t1792 M = 5.69
BB: t6584 M = 20.90
UTG: t1613 M = 5.12
UTG+1: t3132 M = 9.94
UTG+2: t4684 M = 14.87

Pre Flop: (t315) Hero is BTN with :9c4: :9h4:
4 folds, MP2 raises to t240, 1 fold, Hero raises to t2280 all in, 2 folds, MP2 calls t2040

PCK

PCK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is good here shove,with a min raise ahead and 19bb behind

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy shove, but call also good and no mistake because you have position..

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Judgement call. I sometimes shove, I sometimes would just call here and act according to the flop.

But with 19BB, I'm never looking to raise. Here's the problem with raising, if you 3-bet, the control goes back to the villain. If the villain shoves, you're down an extra 2BB (assuming you're folding) and you're getting no value at all. If the villain flats, then you're looking at a flop that you could have without those extra 2BB, so you don't gain any extra value of your investment.

P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with Avickter and Horizon that a call or a shove is good here (nothing else!). If I had any reads on the villain that would make the decision here.

A

Alexandru24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sounds good. I guess it's ok good if nobody calls cause you pick up the antes and blinds , but if somebody calls you you are usually fliping.

beger80

beger80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are calling it is just turning it into a set mining hand or bluffing hand because the frequency of flops that would give you a comfortable feeling to call/raise a C-bet is so small.
A small 3 bet is unlikely to fold most better hands or most of the bottom of an opening range. The only advantage to the small three bet is giving you the lead post flop if villain calls. If they 4 bet it puts you in another tough spot, but lets you know villain is willing to go with it, or you can get away and have ~14 BB behind.
Shoving is the best chance to fold out everyone and take down the pot and your not behind a lot of villain's opening range. I like this option without having any reads on the villain.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no point in overcomplecating things here by flatting preflop and trying to be tricky, you have way too many overcards hitting and you don't have initiative. best to pick hands that you can't shove for value to flat here and try to outplay ppl postflop..

jamming here is way better than anything else i can think of

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
19 big's is a hard stack to play for some. Especially with a borderline hand such as 99 - you are most likely up against one possible overpair postflop.

The problem with flat calling is you don't know if the guy C-bets every time regardless of the flop. You also do not know if he can be bluffed on boards that allow it. The way the board played out, you might have been able to flat a Cbet and bluff at the club flush that developed. Keep in mind that depending on his cbet, he might have been priced in to call anyway.

So, if it's early in the MTT, and no info on the player is available to you, flatting is the way to go. I think shoving is risky at this stage as so many overcards in his range could kill you postflop. Unless you can rebuy, in which case you would just shove and hope for the best.