$1.50 NLHE STT: I'm sure I played this wrong.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD and Database Software

This was the head's up portion of a micro SnG. Was my PF raise too small? Shove Pre? Or was my PF standard and I should just check/fold this board? Really unsure how I should have played this but I know what I did was wrong!

NL Holdem $1.50+$0.15 (300.00BB)
SB ($9114)
HERO ($8886)

Dealt to Hero: Q Q

SB Calls $150, HERO Raises To $795, SB Calls $450

Hero SPR on Flop: [5.09 effective]
Flop ($1590): 5 3 4
HERO Bets $795 (Rem. Stack: $7296), SB Calls $795 (Rem. Stack: $7524)

Turn ($3180): 5 3 4 7
HERO Bets $3180 (Rem. Stack: $4116), SB Calls $3180 (Rem. Stack: $4344)

River ($9540): 5 3 4 7 K
HERO Bets $4116 (allin), SB Calls $4116 (Rem. Stack: $228)

SB shows: 6 8

SB wins: $17772

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The turn is a terrible card for you.

You still have 24 BB at that point, so just shut down and get his stack in a better spot.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The turn is a terrible card for you.

You still have 24 BB at that point, so just shut down and get his stack in a better spot.

Yep. Still working on my in-game discipline. After the post game analysis, it was so obviously a fold. Thanks for responding

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The raise pre flop should be bigger. I dont think it is a large mistake since with 30 BBs we should be able to get it in the middle when we want to but there will be a lot of villains who will call to see a flop and then fold a lot flops which of course we like but in knowing that is a possibility we should try to extract a little more from our pre flop raises.

For the flop I do not like any flops that have consecutive cards when I have an overpair and villains range is wide at this point since they limped in and then called our smallish raise pre. I would definitely c bet here in this tourney but I would be on high alert the entire hand. It is also a good spot for villain to check raise here as well and potentially get us to fold a lot so the better player I was playing against the less frequent and less sizing I would c bet. I think your sizing is fine.

Turn card is not what we hoped for but it also does not mean villain always has 6x here, it just seems like they always do but in reality they dont. I would fire another bet here expecting villain to really define their hand here. They probably will raise me with the hands that are very strong, make crying calls with their one pair hands and fold out their crap. I dont want to give a free card here so I would bet but it should not be a large bet. I like 1/3rd to 40% here as it continues the story we are strong and keeps us on the lead in the hand but does not commit us to the pot. Your sizing of full pot is way too large and probably gets all hands that we beat to fold out and only have hands that beat us continue. This is a sizing mistake that needs your attention going forward as it is a big mistake imo.

On the river as played you need to check fold as I dont think too many (although there will be some) hands that we beat got to this point. I dont think any 1 pair hand is calling a pot sized bet on the turn and an overcard comes on the river. Hate putting in that much to then fold but you have to do what is best for this street and not think of sunk costs from previous streets so as played on the river I advocate a check fold.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The raise pre flop should be bigger. I dont think it is a large mistake since with 30 BBs we should be able to get it in the middle when we want to but there will be a lot of villains who will call to see a flop and then fold a lot flops which of course we like but in knowing that is a possibility we should try to extract a little more from our pre flop raises.

For the flop I do not like any flops that have consecutive cards when I have an overpair and villains range is wide at this point since they limped in and then called our smallish raise pre. I would definitely c bet here in this tourney but I would be on high alert the entire hand. It is also a good spot for villain to check raise here as well and potentially get us to fold a lot so the better player I was playing against the less frequent and less sizing I would c bet. I think your sizing is fine.

Turn card is not what we hoped for but it also does not mean villain always has 6x here, it just seems like they always do but in reality they dont. I would fire another bet here expecting villain to really define their hand here. They probably will raise me with the hands that are very strong, make crying calls with their one pair hands and fold out their crap. I dont want to give a free card here so I would bet but it should not be a large bet. I like 1/3rd to 40% here as it continues the story we are strong and keeps us on the lead in the hand but does not commit us to the pot. Your sizing of full pot is way too large and probably gets all hands that we beat to fold out and only have hands that beat us continue. This is a sizing mistake that needs your attention going forward as it is a big mistake imo.

On the river as played you need to check fold as I dont think too many (although there will be some) hands that we beat got to this point. I dont think any 1 pair hand is calling a pot sized bet on the turn and an overcard comes on the river. Hate putting in that much to then fold but you have to do what is best for this street and not think of sunk costs from previous streets so as played on the river I advocate a check fold.

Thank you as always for your insights. I will work on these suggestions.

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD and Database Software

This was the head's up portion of a micro SnG. Was my PF raise too small? Shove Pre? Or was my PF standard and I should just check/fold this board? Really unsure how I should have played this but I know what I did was wrong!

NL Holdem $1.50+$0.15 (300.00BB)
SB ($9114)
HERO ($8886)

Dealt to Hero: Q Q

SB Calls $150, HERO Raises To $795, SB Calls $450

Hero SPR on Flop: [5.09 effective]
Flop ($1590): 5 3 4
HERO Bets $795 (Rem. Stack: $7296), SB Calls $795 (Rem. Stack: $7524)

Turn ($3180): 5 3 4 7
HERO Bets $3180 (Rem. Stack: $4116), SB Calls $3180 (Rem. Stack: $4344)

River ($9540): 5 3 4 7 K
HERO Bets $4116 (allin), SB Calls $4116 (Rem. Stack: $228)

SB shows: 6 8

SB wins: $17772
I don't think preflop was bad. I do prefer bigger sizings, but that's not too relevant comparing to the rest of the hand. Why were you so aggressive on the turn and river? Your flop bet was fine, I'd maybe go for check-raise, because there are a lot of bad turns. On the turn I don't think you should've betted, you aren't beating anything thats going to call except for flush draws. It's better to check call and reavaluete on the river. The river bet was just as bad, you turned a hand that had good show down value into a bluff, his range is way better for that board than yours, I think you overplayed your hand.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
. The river bet was just as bad, you turned a hand that had good show down value into a bluff, his range is way better for that board than yours, I think you overplayed your hand.

I agree. Many mistakes that I need to fix. Thanks for your response

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Out of position I prefer a larger raise like 3BB, but its not the big issue in the hand.

Flop
On a very coordinated flop like this I lean towards checking for pot control, but betting is also not a real mistake.

Turn
Here is where, the hand goes completely off the rails. There is a 1-liner to a straight now, but you still bet full pot. Against most players this get all worse hands to fold, and he might even fold some better hands like two pair. So you are taking a hand, which still has some showdown value, and turning it into a bluff. Here I would definitely check, and if he bets, then just make a decision. If you really think, he is bluffing, then call. But otherwise just fold and live to continue the heads-up match.

River
Just give up and check-fold.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Preflop
Out of position I prefer a larger raise like 3BB, but its not the big issue in the hand.

Flop
On a very coordinated flop like this I lean towards checking for pot control, but betting is also not a real mistake.

Turn
Here is where, the hand goes completely off the rails. There is a 1-liner to a straight now, but you still bet full pot. Against most players this get all worse hands to fold, and he might even fold some better hands like two pair. So you are taking a hand, which still has some showdown value, and turning it into a bluff. Here I would definitely check, and if he bets, then just make a decision. If you really think, he is bluffing, then call. But otherwise just fold and live to continue the heads-up match.

River
Just give up and check-fold.

Yep. After this hand was over I realized, albeit too late, that I really played it badly.
Thanks for responding.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep. After this hand was over I realized, albeit too late, that I really played it badly.
Thanks for responding.

You are welcome. This hand scream entitlement tilt, which is something, we have all experienced, when we have a big pocket pair like QQ, KK or AA, but the board runs out really bad. The important is to learn from it, which you do by sharing the hand here :)

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You are welcome. This hand scream entitlement tilt, which is something, we have all experienced, when we have a big pocket pair like QQ, KK or AA, but the board runs out really bad. The important is to learn from it, which you do by sharing the hand here :)

You've nailed it, as usual! I will definitely take a lesson from this.