$1.50 NLHE STT: $$1.50 NLHE STT: Could have I read that?

Ian the Fish

Ian the Fish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Last night I was playing my last 2 STT tournaments before going to sleep, and this was one of the hands:

Blinds are t10/t20;
I have t1,400
Villain has t1,960

I'm on the button with AhTh
Villain is in MP1

Villain opens the pot with the raise to 200.
Everyone folds, I call, the blinds give up.

*The flop comes:
2h 2s Kh

The villain checks, I check back.

*The turn:
8c

Check, Check

*The river:
Qh

The villain checks
I bet t260 into t430
He raises to t560
I re-raise all-in
He calls, shows his KK, and I sadly muck my Ace high flush :(

I absolutely suck at putting people on pocket pairs, let alone someone who played it so well and basically trapped me. I probably should have either:
a) Not made the call on the flop, or
b) Just called his raise instead of going all-in (this seems strange to me, as I would be left with t680)

What do you guys think?

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have 70bb pre flop. His raise pre flop is very big - 10x. I think that you can call pre flop, because you are in position so why not to see the flop?
Post flop - I check the flop, check the turn and I can do a bet on the river. When he checks on the flop and the turn - it is something wrong here for me - IMO he can slow play something. I know it is easy to say. So on the river I prefer call his raise, because the board is paired and always on that board is possible full house.
By the way- I hate this tournament - STT 1,5$ at pokerstars - I lost a lot of money :( take care

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Assuming this is 9 handed and it looks like the first level of a sng... blinds ...this is a real easy fold to any raise.
Villain bets 10 bbs and you call with A/Ts, I'm never calling here, I raise with premium hands only...easy fold...save your chips

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His preflop raise is 10 bb's . That prob means he has a big hand, but could have had Aces too I guess.

I think it is a tough hand, having the nut flush against a FH.. Very difficult to throw away.

Personally I just don't understand why villain didn't value bet on the river. That would get me confused too.

R

ravpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it is easy fold preflop. His big bet 10xbb looks like Monster hand (QQ,KK,AA) maybe TT,JJ or AKs. The big blind is early so you don't need to lose your chips.

TakMits

TakMits

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold pre flop. there is no reason to play a mediocre hand even if you have position against him, so early on the first level of blinds. with these type of hands you can limp on late position trying to flop a monster and don't play these hands if you face a raise unless if you have a good read on your opponent.

Ian the Fish

Ian the Fish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess you're right. Calling with these type of hands is basically asking for trouble. And guess what - trouble came. Meh. That's poker - learning new stuff everyday.

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

4evrInmyheart RIP xoxo :(
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played don't reshove the river, obv how played hard to see how your behind with the nutflush but to reshove his raise on the river you are only getting called by a fh IMO (unless its a complete spewy tard fish who can't throw away AA or trip dueces of some sort but in such a case at best they would flat your raise).

They played it tricky, which obv worked for them waiting for you to make a hand of which they could get value.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fold preflop

once you get to the river I think it's ok to go for value and go all in, he could have a smaller flush or just KQ.
any of us would be trapped right there, he slow played it perfectly.

the only way to avoid this is to not play these kinds of hands preflop

pistolpetewags11

pistolpetewags11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold pre flop... end of story. Yea ur deep blinds are small, but u should be looking to play small pots early on in position. Just get a feel for the type of players and fold early. Now how they play and I don't know what else. If u r going to call such a large raise preflop, keep it small. Pot was 20 big blind atleast. Just call his bet on river. Hindsight is 20/20, but playing small pots in position is the advice.

Z

za_petrea

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
everybody loses hands like that, even "villain", your only error was to call preflop, after that the trap was perfect
sry 4 my english

mapt02h

mapt02h

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold pre, in the early stages of sit and gos we want to conserve our chips. Take a note of his tendency to raise that big with such a hand and use it against him in the future! :)

S

stlbluesfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with most here that folding pre-flop probably best but I would have probably called as well. when he raised your bet is when you have to think about where you are. with the pair on the board you have to recognize the possibility but at most just call the raise and play on. The only hand that will call your all-in is one that can beat you. So just call if you must and don't take the added risk.

M

Macaroon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The question was: Could I have read that?
The answer is: not really. But what do you think he would raise 10x BB with? Proably AA or AK or KK. In which case you're beaten pre-flop - that's why you should have folded. However once you were in the hand as Missjacki says, he played it perfectly. Personally I would not have re-raised all-in on the river, but then I'm tight!

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
snap fold pre. these spots early game are of no concern. you can hang around until mid-game and put the hammer down and still win. Just note that this guy is probably terrible and he's one to look out for in the future hands to catch in a big pot.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but you should absolutely go all in on the river, his raise pre tells me he is bad, meaning he could have almost anything on the river and be spazzing out. but as stated by many above, many times the mistake isn't the river, it's preflop.