MP2: 5,478 (109.6 bb)
MP3: 3,000 (60 bb)
CO: 2,775 (55.5 bb)
BTN: 2,760 (55.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J
diamond4.gif
Q
heart4.gif

UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls 50, Hero raises to 200, MP2 folds, MP3 calls 200, 3 folds, BB calls 150, UTG+2 folds

Flop: (675) 2
spade4.gif
Q
spade4.gif
spade4.gif
(3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets 276, MP3 folds, BB calls 276

Turn: (1,227) 2
heart4.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

River: (1,227) 6
club4.gif
(2 players)
BB bets 600

I'm really not sure about this hand. I think I should have bet more on flop, especially if I intend to check back the turn. As played I believe I should have fired again on the turn, for around half pot, and fold to a raise.

I feel villains lead on river is either value with the nuts, or missed flush draw bluff. Only a few hands on villain at this stage so stats don't come into decision making.

I'm leaning more towards a fold here, but at these stakes if a villain is betting half pot on river they usually don't have it as a lot of the weaker ones shove here with boats, quads etc. I guess now in saying that, seeing as I dont have enough hands on villain to determine if he is weak or not, it's a definite fold. Flopped trips or flush would play out this same way a lot of the time I think, so I have to give villain credit for a good hand and keep an eye on his betting tendencies on future rivers.

My main qualm with this hand is the flop and turn play though, so any thoughts?

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre flop raise is ok, it is early in the tournament so playing a wide range is good. With a hand like QJo I would just stick to a 3bb raise even with the limper. We are unlikely to flop a monster and would like to keep our one pair hand pots smallish.

Flop bet is fine, maybe a little small as it gives anyone with a flush draw a good price to come a long but again we don't want to bloat the pot.

We should be betting the turn to get value from draws and worse queens. By checking back we miss out on a second street of value we could get from draws. If we bet and get called we can just check back the river.

When we check back the turn it looks like we just made a cbet then gave up so this will induce a lot of bluffs from villain with any draws he had or even 2nd pair hands that think they are value betting. Therefore calling the river bet should be pretty standard.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop iso-raise is fine.

Bet bigger on the flop, like 55-60% pot, we're 55bb deep and this board is wet.

Bet the turn, you're getting value from all of villain's draws and even some worse Qx hands. This will also allow you to check back rivers as villain likely won't lead the river after you 2 balled.

Calling the river, we really only lose to KQ/AQ here, and I feel AQ 3bets pre. The majority of villain's range here is missed draws, and possibly some worse Qx.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold preflop, without any information on limp range UTG and still many players after you. QJo hand not for value that you can raise, in postflop most of the time you can lose against best kicker or will be marginal situation.

Fold river, with only top pair and bad kicker on this board you already far behind.

Last edited:
P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre-flop - QJo + EP = Fold!

Flop - as played c-bet is too small. Gives either villain nearly 4:1 to call which is the right price for any of their drawing hands. c-bet needs to be around 475 which would put 1150 in the pot and price out drawing hands.

Turn - changes nothing so if you were best on the flop you are still best now so you need to bet again. Around half pot would be my take. When you check it's an open invitation for villain to bet the river with ATC.

River - as played snap call.

GDBPoker

GDBPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cheers for all the replies, really helped me out. Probably the most straight forward and sense-talking collection of replies I've had since I've been posting hands, I really appreciate it.

I did snap call, villain had 9's with a spade.

Thanks again

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
missed the party,

preflop is ok (possible). imo

As played, you have to call it off. imo