$1.20 NLHE STT: Top pair facing blank turn shove

Clambake420

Clambake420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't have alot of reads on this guy as i didnt see alot of show downs from him, but his play style seemed weird. It seems like a clear fold since were on the bubble and this call is for almost our entire stack. I figure his shove to represent a set and not wanting a club draw to suck out. The only hands im beating are a weaker Q (which i dont see him calling a raise then jamming a turn since i represented strength on the flop), weaker pair, or draw hands. So im probably beat here more then im ahead, so i guess im always folding here. Would the better play have been to 3bet preflop as the min raise seemed pretty weak and im ahead most of the time. As played, did i overplay TPGK here?

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.2 Tournament, 75/150 Blinds (4 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB (t3250)
BB (t3410)
UTG (t2570)
Hero (Button) (t4270)

Hero's M: 18.98

Preflop: Hero is Button with
ks.gif
qs.gif

UTG bets t300, Hero calls t300, 1 fold, BB calls t150

Flop: (t975)
4c.gif
qd.gif
9c.gif
(3 players)
BB bets t450, 1 fold, Hero raises to t950, BB calls t500

Turn: (t2875)
6s.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t1050, BB raises to t2160 (All-In), Hero ?

Total pot: t4975

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think I love the call pre-flop, I think I'm just folding although shoving might have some merit.

I hate your raise size on the flop (no offense :p), I'd be shoving pretty much always. Turn is also a pretty easy shove, the 1/3 pot-sized bet is pretty gross. I'd make both of these plays based on the effective stack sizes, which might be the single most important aspect of STT's (!). After he check/raises, the pot is ~t6000 and it's ~t1000 to call, meaning you pretty much can't fold. Even if you do fold, you'll only have like t1500 left behind and you're leaving yourself with very little hope of finishing ITM, and even if you do cash, it probably won't be for greater than 3rd.

Clambake420

Clambake420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think I love the call pre-flop, I think I'm just folding although shoving might have some merit.

I hate your raise size on the flop (no offense :p), I'd be shoving pretty much always. Turn is also a pretty easy shove, the 1/3 pot-sized bet is pretty gross. I'd make both of these plays based on the effective stack sizes, which might be the single most important aspect of STT's (!). After he check/raises, the pot is ~t6000 and it's ~t1000 to call, meaning you pretty much can't fold. Even if you do fold, you'll only have like t1500 left behind and you're leaving yourself with very little hope of finishing ITM, and even if you do cash, it probably won't be for greater than 3rd.

Yea i didn't like my flop bet either, haha. The turn i think i was just on auto pilot clicked the slider what felt like a good amount and clicked bet, lol...terrible. I just felt like folding this pre was to tight (calling clearly worse). I Think if the 2 people in the hand had like 1800 or so in chips i was shoving pre, felt like to much to risk if i shove and get called, (so i guess that's why folding pre is better?)