$1.10 NLHE MTT: QQ pre flop play

M

momfight

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a feeling this was a stupid mistake. It was early in a MTT and i'm Dealt QQ. What would you do?
Level V (75/150) - 2012/02/10 7:07:00 ET Table '559010215 30' 9-max Seat #8 is the button Seat 1: momfight (6252 in chips) Seat 2: kolian2007 (5385 in chips) Seat 3: procsn (3460 in chips) Seat 4: nikolas491 (12391 in chips) Seat 5: Pispirigkos (2880 in chips) Seat 6: osmuzh (2800 in chips) Seat 7: c craftsman (3692 in chips) Seat 8: rivok (2830 in chips) Seat 9: Thänk you (6215 in chips) Thänk you: posts small blind 75
momfight: posts big blind 150
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to momfight [Qh Qc]
kolian2007: folds
procsn: folds
nikolas491: folds
Pispirigkos: folds
osmuzh: folds
c craftsman: raises 215 to 365
rivok: calls 365
Thänk you: raises 1135 to 1500
momfight: raises 1800 to 3300
c craftsman: folds
rivok: folds
Thänk you: calls 1800
*** FLOP *** [3d Kc 2s]
Thänk you: checks
momfight: bets 2952 and is all-in
Thänk you: calls 2915 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (37) returned to momfight
*** TURN *** [3d Kc 2s] 7♠
*** RIVER *** [3d Kc 2s 7s] 6♣
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Thänk you: shows [2d 2c] (three of a kind, Deuces)
momfight: shows [Qh Qc] (a pair of Queens) Thänk you collected 13160 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 13160 | Rake 0
Board [3d Kc 2s 7s 6c]
Seat 1: momfight (big blind) showed [Qh Qc] and lost with a pair of Queens Seat 2: kolian2007 folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 3: procsn folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 4: nikolas491 folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 5: Pispirigkos folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 6: osmuzh folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 7: c craftsman folded before Flop Seat 8: rivok (button) folded before Flop Seat 9: Thänk you (small blind) showed [2d 2c] and won (13160) with three of a kind, Deuces
I should probably have folded on the flop, especially when the King came up but I just couldnt lay down. I'm very disappointed because I had been playing good disciplined poker up until that point and had an average stack.

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the king is a little bit shit, but he's calling 4 bets with deuces..

I probably spazz and jam preflop, might be the wrong play but it saves you playing postflop when you've only got a pot sized bet behind anyway.

postflop, I think the only real hand that should have you beat here is AA, KK, and AK and all of those 5 bet jam pre.. so betting here for value isn't that bad, more than likely he has some smaller pair imo which you now lost value against by not stacking pre.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just shove pre, you'll bepot commited whatever size you make it. Enough spazzes at this level that will call with crap whether you shove all in. Also shove looks weaker than a raise so chips will be in much more of the time.

calicard

calicard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's obvious no matter what you did guy was not folding his 22.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
shove pre, at this buy in you will get snapped off by any pair and alot of Ax Kx hands, plus putting half your stack in and even considering folding a flop is bad,
shove pre is preferable, but folding is so gross so call it off/jam flop as played.

agree with blue that shoving looks weaker than that raise.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have a feeling this was a stupid mistake. It was early in a MTT and i'm Dealt QQ. What would you do?

I should probably have folded on the flop, especially when the King came up but I just couldnt lay down. I'm very disappointed because I had been playing good disciplined poker up until that point and had an average stack.
The bet-sizing preflop is pretty awful. Not sure what our plan is by raising this size when we'll have less than 1/2 pot bet left in stack .. you'll have a better chance of getting called off if you shove (usually). It actually makes your hand look UBER strong... cuz nobody's ever folding after committing 1/2 their stack preflop in a spot like this (your hand really reeks of a monster AA/KK).

As mentioned already, just shove it allin preflop here as you'll get looked up by much worse.
Shove > call > small 4bet (would only consider call here if I felt the spazz would fold to a 4bet allin pre).
the king is a little bit shit, but he's calling 4 bets with deuces..
... he's calling a player's 4bet that was = 1/2 of their stack!! while OOP w 22
I probably spazz and jam preflop, might be the wrong play but it saves you playing postflop when you've only got a pot sized bet behind anyway.

postflop, I think the only real hand that should have you beat here is AA, KK, and AK and all of those 5 bet jam pre.. so betting here for value isn't that bad, more than likely he has some smaller pair imo which you now lost value against by not stacking pre.
'Typically' though... do we figure they'd ever be flatting here w smaller pr. once HERO puts in 1/2 their stack pre? I guess it happens (obv. in this hand it does).

Last edited:
OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
'Typically' though... do we figure they'd ever be flatting here w smaller pr. once HERO puts in 1/2 their stack pre? I guess it happens (obv. in this hand it does).

Yeah, most of people's 3 bet calling range consists of pairs..

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Shove pre and hope to god I get called w/ AQ.

Reraising takes away half your stack, and it's hard to play QQ's on that board. Shoving probably wasn't the best of ideas w/ the K showing, as he could quite easily have AK. But if you had shoved pre w/ how much was in the pot you still would've gained about 1500 in chips if everyone had folded, you would've been flipping against AK, ahead of JJ.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played these exclusively before Black Friday for about 6 months and I am definitely getting it all into the middle as soon as I can. The early stages of these you will find donks very willing to gamble - even on 22.
If and when it comes up again just get it in and don't look back. Yeah, it's going to lose sometimes, but not as many as it will win.

Now it the later stages (final 30% of field) don't be so quick to pull the trigger. Think it through a little more, considering your villian.

dadsrus

dadsrus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
once you seen the flop what wrong with a check to see where he was once he called your raise i dont think he was going away . folding to the reraise and keeping a less then average stack would have kept ya in the tourny longer and i think you said you wanted to fold anyway but just could not get away from it is the first warning trusting your 1st thought can keep ya in longer early blinds

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
once you seen the flop what wrong with a check to see where he was once he called your raise i dont think he was going away . folding to the reraise and keeping a less then average stack would have kept ya in the tourny longer and i think you said you wanted to fold anyway but just could not get away from it is the first warning trusting your 1st thought can keep ya in longer early blinds

why would you want to see a flop, and why do you think a king changes our equity significantly? folding this hand at this buyin is so spewy.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
4 words:

Get
It
In
Pre

Or 8 letters
S
H
O
V
E

P
R
E

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
once you seen the flop what wrong with a check to see where he was

If he has a king he'll bet for value. If he doesn't he'll bet hoping to bluff you off the pot. Checking gets us nothing.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have like 15-20 blinds or so? It's a $1.00 MTT, you see garbage like villian did there and just got lucky.

Just get it in PRE, may as well as you're never ever folding post I hope after all that pre raising.

dwbrown7680

dwbrown7680

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Other than the fact you should def have 4bet this aipf, not much else you can do here. It's standard for you to shove the rest of your stack on the flop as you're never, ever going to fold (at least I hope you wouldn't) and it basically just boils down to you getting unlucky.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yeah, most of people's 3 bet calling range consists of pairs..
With 40bb effective stacks.. when HERO has put in over 1/2 their stack pre? I'd suggest that 'most' won't be calling here (& if they do they're getting a 'note' & colour code 'light blue' ;) )

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In effect, when you tell yourself you should have folded on the flop, you're trying to justify a line just because on this particular hand, it would have produced a less negative result.

Like the others, I probably would have shoved pre-, but even though you didn't, you pot-committed yourself when you put in half your stack pre-flop. At that time, you held QQ against 22. So he hit his 2-outer. Does that somehow mean you shouldn't have pot-committed pre-?

Karkus77

Karkus77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you should have shoved pre as most have said, but as played, you put so much of your stack in pre that you cant really get away from it anyway