$1.10 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: should i just called the 3 bet?

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i was playing the bigger 1.10 with 40/80 blinds and i had a 17,500 chip stack. villain, who was a loose player with a 9000 chip stack limps in middle position. i was on the small blind and since everyone on the table have folded their hand i decided to raise 3bb and villain calls. the flop was AQ9 so i check, villain bets 240, and i raise to 940, then villain 3 bets to 1920. since there were 2 clubs on the board i thought villain might have a flush draw or maybe aj or a10 so i shove all in and after thinking he calls with aq winning the hand. my question is. should i just flat call the 3 bet or it was ok to just shove all in?

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You forgot to tell us your cards.

thanks for telling me! i forgot and now its too late for me to edit the thread unfortunately. i had A9 offsuit and villain had AQ offsuit.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now knowing, that you had A9o, here is my analysis of the hand:

Preflop
I would definitely raise this up to isolate the limper, but your size is way to small, especially when you are deep stacked. He is just going to call you in position with whatever, he limped with, and whenever you raise preflop you want to give people a reason to fold. I typically go to 4,5BB against one limper, and if I was to tailor a betsize to this specific spot, I would make it even more.

Flop
I do think, it can be ok to go for a check-raise with top and bottom pair, but given that he just limp-called preflop, I would mainly be C-betting. I think, there is a high risk, this guy just check behind, and now you have severely limited the size of the pot, you can win. Your check-raise idea did work though, and your sizing was reasonable at around 70% pot, as far as I can figure out.

Now he goes for a 3-bet, and this is a very strong action. But I am also going to jam top and bottom, just like you did. He really should not be limp-calling AA, QQ, 99 or AQ, and if he did and hit this perfect flop, then good for him. Its just a cooler, and even if you lose, you still have a lot of chips left.

You ask, if you should just have called his 3-bet, and that is also a possible way to play the hand. But what difference does it really make? You are mainly hoping, that he has some kind of draw, that he is going crazy with. And sure if you just call, maybe he will continue betting on the turn. But maybe he will not, and then you have just given him two free cards to draw out on you.

Besides a player like this is also going to pay you with a draw, if you jam the turn, and on any sort of reasonable runout, you are still going to get stacked, if he has a hand like the one, he had. You are not looking to call his 3-bet and then fold later, because the 2 of clubs hit the turn and changed nothing.

Conclusion
This is just one of those spots, where a recreational player made some ridiculous limp-call preflop with a hand, that should have raised every single time, and then he got lucky and flopped a better two pair than yours. Situations like this will happen in poker, and there is really nothing, you can do to prevent them. So just keep playing solid poker, and in the long run you will absolutely crush a player like this.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I agree in the large part with fundiver. I think that on this deep stack I think we can isolate pre flop a9o from the small blind, on this blinds 40/80 against opponent who also is deep, I prefer bigger isolation, about 4x-6x, because you are OOP. As played - I think that in tournament for 1,1$ you didn't make a big mistake with two pair on the flop. It seems that opponent is a little inexperienced player, because of limp pre flop with AQo. For me would be helpful some information about our opponent, with what hand he won the chips before this hand. I think that you can't escape in this hand. No matter what you would do, you will need a lucky cards on the turn and on the river to win this hand. GL :)

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WOW @fundiver199 GREAT STUFF

I was just going to add, you gotta have some incredible justification for not getting it in with 2 pairs, sets etc when the villain is so willing to get it in also. Also you see a lot of this with one pair hands in sb vs bb battles. Well played!!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i was playing the bigger 1.10 with 40/80 blinds and i had a 17,500 chip stack. villain, who was a loose player with a 9000 chip stack limps in middle position. i was on the small blind and since everyone on the table have folded their hand i decided to raise 3bb and villain calls. the flop was AQ9 so i check, villain bets 240, and i raise to 940, then villain 3 bets to 1920. since there were 2 clubs on the board i thought villain might have a flush draw or maybe aj or a10 so i shove all in and after thinking he calls with aq winning the hand. my question is. should i just flat call the 3 bet or it was ok to just shove all in?

Thank U 4 Posting

When we range a a villain we need to think of a complete range that includes hands that are strong. We then decide what course of action to take based on our overall advantage vs that villain.

Q9 A9 99 are limped hands. AA QQ that they were trapping with as u saw AQ was limped which might be a trap play.

The V would also limp the combo draws of JTc KJc

You did not mention if the Ace was the flush card if not the V could have the flush and top pair AJc ATc

So we then take our estimated range and use the free program Equilab and input V's range and our hand and see how much equity we have versus the full range that they will play this way.

We can then make an informed decision based on equity as to flat or shove.

Hope this helps.
:):)