$1.10 NLHE MTT: 66 in SB, early limper, BT raises 3x

cool32steve

cool32steve

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker Stars - $1.00+0.10 Tournament (#402010841) - Blinds: 2500/5000 No Limit Hold'em (8 players)
Poker Stars Hand Converter Tool from CardsChat.com

SB Hero: $153760
BB: $32668
UTG: $11864
MP: $294026
MP+1: $305638
MP+2: $115096
CO: $89773
BTN: $153306

Pre-flop: ($7500) Hero is BU and dealt :6h4: :6d4:
UTG folds, MP calls $5000, 3 folds, BTN raises $15000, Hero ???

H

HomeBrewer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not sure this is a spot that I want to get involved, especially when you can't close the action even if you decide to only call (as the limper will still have the opportunity to 3-bet at this pot). If it was heads up things would be different. Also with out any reads on these opponents and having a healthy stack, I don't see any reason to get involved here.

That being said, I fold.

cool32steve

cool32steve

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
MP was 21/8 over 60 hands, button was 21/11 over 38 hands. Also, the hand history converter left out the antes, they were 625.

S

Six Hurdles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I'm 3 betting here to ~38,000. If MP has a hand he can call a 3 bet here he would have raised instead of limping and the button is just raising position most likely. If you get 4 bet either shove and take a chance or fold and you will still have over 20 bb's. If you get called instead of raised you should be c-betting all in on almost any flop. This is just me but I'm taking a chance here.

The MP player could have been limping a monster but it's not likely. You will get folds often enough, I think, to make this profitable.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't hate flatting here in position and taking a flop. Kinda helps to know the point of the tournament we're in.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My bad, just seen it's the sb you're in. Ignore me.

takethepain

takethepain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is a pretty dangerous spot for us and I would personally fold. The risk of MP re-raising is too great and then what do you do?

brackdog

brackdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry if this should be obvious, but is this a final table? If it is, the payout structure has to impact on the decision to play a tricky hand, no? I think I respect the raise and wait to be aggressive until those small stacks have been assimilated.

Can't call here and I don't want to raise, so I'm folding. Just too many flops that will leave me hanging in the wind.

Bd

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
...I fold.

I think I'm 3 betting here to ~38,000...

I don't hate flatting here...

LOL - Do you like vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry? (Edit - just noticed JohnBoy's correction, so sorry, we're out of strawberry. :D)

I think there are all kinds of reasons to fold here:
  • Right now you're only getting 2.6:1 pot odds vs 7:1 against hitting your set on the flop.
  • Even if BB and MP just call, your pot odds only improve to 5.2:1.
  • BB or MP could decide to re-raise and the pot odds might compel you to put even more in.
  • You're out of position against as many as three opponents.
  • Small pairs lose value for M ratios between 10 and 20. (yours is 12.3)
  • Button may just be raising based on position, but 21/11 aren't the numbers of a maniac.
  • Two of your opponents have stacks that can wipe you out.
  • You'll be on the button next hand with the two smallest stacks in the blinds.
I might be able to come up with others, but I see no compelling reason to call or raise at this point. If you do raise, I think you just go all-in. You're a favorite against any non-pair and then button is forced to make the tough decision for his tournament life.

Last edited:

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry if this should be obvious, but is this a final table? If it is, the payout structure has to impact on the decision to play a tricky hand, no? I think I respect the raise and wait to be aggressive until those small stacks have been assimilated.

Can't call here and I don't want to raise, so I'm folding. Just too many flops that will leave me hanging in the wind.

Bd
Don't think it is. Sum of chips at the final should be a round number.
Looking at the number of chips at the table I think we're not that close to a FT either.

Anyway, fwiw, I think shoving AI is to spewy and that leaves folding.
Oop with 66 I don't want to invest with a call or 3-bet.
There are lowstacks and I assume there are on other tables too, so people are gonna bust soon, which to me is not a reason to fold any hand, but I take it in consideration, having hands like 66 in this spot.