mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
UTG has played only 11 hands so the stats are: VPIP 27 PFR 27

This is the last 2 tables of the tournament. Is folding to tight from me?

Here is the prize jumps.

Payjumps

pokerstars - 1400/2800 Ante 350 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by Holdem Manager 3

BTN: 35,257 (12.6 bb)
Hero (SB): 39,976 (14.3 bb)
BB: 51,462 (18.4 bb)
UTG: 30,039 (10.7 bb)
MP: 74,490 (26.6 bb)
CO: 8,519 (3 bb)

6 players post ante of 350, Hero posts SB 1,400, BB posts 2,800

Pre Flop: (pot: 6,300) Hero has :5s4: :7s4:
4 folds, Hero calls 1,400, BB checks

Flop: (7,700, 2 players) :8h4: :7h4: :qs4:
Hero bets 2,800, BB calls 2,800

Turn: (13,300, 2 players) :5h4:
Hero bets 7,714, BB raises to 19,600, Hero folds

Results: 28,728 pot (0 rake)
Final Board: :8h4: :7h4: :qs4: :5h4:

Hero mucks :5s4: :7s4:: (Two Pair, Sevens and Fives)
(Pre 0%)

BB wins 28,728

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
With 14,3BB you can open jam blind vs. blind, but limping in is also ok, especially if the opponent is a bit passive and will allow this to happen without always raising, which will force you to fold.

Flop
A small bet is fine here, but checking can also be considered. If you bet, its mainly to deny equity, because if he continue, he is likely either ahead or have some kind of big equity with a draw and overcards to your pair.

Turn
Unimproved I would check now, but having made two pair, your hand is now much stronger, and even though he could have a straight or flush, or just a better two pair, I think, this is a much more clear value bet than the flop. Facing his raise is a tough spot. If you call, you have put in more than half your stack, so you need to consider this an effective shove, which mean, you are either folding or jamming. And if you jam, you should expect him to always call.

So its basically a math decision, and getting around 2:1 on a jam, you need 33% equity to break even in pure chip EV. If you are always behind, you clearly dont have that, since the chance to boat up with 2 pair is less than 10%, and if he has a hand like Q5, even a 5 wont help you. So it boils down to, if you think, he is only raising two pair or better, or if he could also be raising top pair or some bluffs like for instance A4 with A of hearts.

This is really, where it become a lot about poker instincts and paying attention to things like timing tells, and what you feel about this opponent. So its difficult to say without actually having been at the table and done the observations, you had. In a vacuum I will say though, that if the guy was bluffing, would he not have moved you all-in? His sizing looks like "please give me action", especially because you have so little left behind.

So I think, this is a somewhat tight but probably correct fold especially given the low stakes, you are playing. Just in general regulars in particular will be bluffing way more in a 22$ MTT than a 1,1$ MTT. Regulars playing 1,1$ MTTs are usually fairly new to the game, and they are usually playing a rather basic TAG style, where "tight is right", and a raise on the turn is usually fat value.

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Preflop

In a vacuum I will say though, that if the guy was bluffing, would he not have moved you all-in? His sizing looks like "please give me action", especially because you have so little left behind.

This was my thinking when I decided to fold. I felt like I was beat there.

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Pretty much what fundiver99 said above with the added point about looking at the other stack sizes. With a few folks shorter than you... and that's just at your table... ICM is definitely in play here. Preserve your chips and let someone else bust out to move up the ladder.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This was my thinking when I decided to fold. I felt like I was beat there.

Yeah my poker instincts also tell me, that you were beat in this hand. It feels very weak-tight to bet-fold two pair, but it was bottom two pair, and even in those cases, where you might be ahead, there were still a ton of bad cards, that could come on the river including cards, that put a 1-liner to a straight or flush or counterfeit you by pairing the board. So bottom two pair is never way ahead but often way behind on a wet board like this.

With a few folks shorter than you... and that's just at your table... ICM is definitely in play here. Preserve your chips and let someone else bust out to move up the ladder.

Absolutely true. When 1 or at most 2 more players have busted, the payout already goes up by around 25%. So there is a lot of incentive for us to let CO with his 3BB stack get hit by the blinds, before we put our own tournament live at risk. And typically if we are going to put all our chips in in a situation like this, we want to do it by jamming in spots, where we have fold equity.

Like for instance preflop in this hand. I think, a jam for 14,3BB get BB to fold a lot of the time, because he dont want to be left with a 4BB stack and likely to not make the final table. And when he occationally do call, we usually have two free cards and the potential to make a straight or flush, so we are only in poor shape, when he occationally wake up with a big pair.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
UTG has played only 11 hands so the stats are: VPIP 27 PFR 27

This is the last 2 tables of the tournament. Is folding to tight from me?

Here is the prize jumps.

View attachment 304815

PokerStars - 1400/2800 Ante 350 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by Holdem Manager 3

BTN: 35,257 (12.6 bb)
Hero (SB): 39,976 (14.3 bb)
BB: 51,462 (18.4 bb)
UTG: 30,039 (10.7 bb)
MP: 74,490 (26.6 bb)
CO: 8,519 (3 bb)

6 players post ante of 350, Hero posts SB 1,400, BB posts 2,800

Pre Flop: (pot: 6,300) Hero has :5s4: :7s4:
4 folds, Hero calls 1,400, BB checks

Flop: (7,700, 2 players) :8h4: :7h4: :qs4:
Hero bets 2,800, BB calls 2,800

Turn: (13,300, 2 players) :5h4:
Hero bets 7,714, BB raises to 19,600, Hero folds

Results: 28,728 pot (0 rake)
Final Board: :8h4: :7h4: :qs4: :5h4:

Hero mucks :5s4: :7s4:: (Two Pair, Sevens and Fives)
(Pre 0%)

BB wins 28,728

Thank you for posting.

Preplanning a hand--

As stated by others we can shove or call when we choose call we now know we must play post flop OOP with a hand that does not play well short stacked-

Therefore we must have a solid plan of action before we see the flop-

we base this on data points

1 if we make top pair it is a low top pair so our V can have a lot of overcards-how do we want to play in a spot like that?

2 Ip with our stack size V can float flops and bluff turns- how do we prepare for that?

3 What flops do we not want to invest in? We want to be thinking about that before we see the flop.

4 ICM requires us to play tighter than normal how does that apply to our post flop actions

take the time to think of other data points

As played

Why do we use 1bb sizing? Do we want folds? Do we adjust V range? How have we adjusted the V range- What is our plan for turn after using this sizing if V's range is connected to this board?

After we bet flop and get called- we want to make a list of turn cards that are good for us and those that are not- Which is the 5 hearts?
take the time to make the list of cards we want to see so we bet again and those we do not bet again

Hope this helps
:):)