$1,10 NL HE MTT: $1,10 NL HE MTT: When to fold a flush?

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Currency
$
Dear forum,

is there any situation when you'd fold a A-high flush to a shove?

Let's get it sorted. Flushes are only beaten by:
  1. Royal flush
  2. Straight flush
  3. 4 of a kind
  4. Full house
Since you're holding the Ace, it rules out the royal.

The board from my hand, theretically allowed for 2-4. The betting pattern ruled out the four of a kind though. So I was left with straight flush and full house.

I think the possibility of a straight flush is so low that I'd always exclude it, which I also did in my case.

Anyway, here's the hand. Let me know what you think and if you called on the river in my position too? I bet the turn since he was so hesitant to call, that I assumed he might fold but obviously he did not.

pokerstars, $0.98 + $0.12 - Hold'em No Limit - 700/1,400 (175 ante) - 9 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat

joaobochnia (UTG): 43,838 (31 bb)
AndyreasDE (UTG+1): 39,480 (28 bb)
akasihi (MP): 25,905 (19 bb)
ChristRobert (MP+1): 116,660 (83 bb)
hudson faria (LP): 55,031 (39 bb)
LeandroAku (CO): 76,177 (54 bb)
Argodri2809 (BU): 13,593 (10 bb)
Icandoit17 (SB): 85,501 (61 bb)
qrezident (BB): 99,888 (71 bb)

Pre-Flop:
(3,675) Hero (AndyreasDE) is UTG+1 with 9 A
1 fold, AndyreasDE (UTG+1) raises to 2,800, 6 players fold, qrezident (BB) calls 1,400

Flop: (7,875) J J 7 (2 players)
qrezident (BB) checks, AndyreasDE (UTG+1) bets 2,800, qrezident (BB) calls 2,800

Turn: (13,475) 9 (2 players)
qrezident (BB) checks, AndyreasDE (UTG+1) bets 4,200, qrezident (BB) calls 4,200

River: (21,875) T (2 players)
qrezident (BB) checks, AndyreasDE (UTG+1) bets 5,600, qrezident (BB) raises to 89,913 (all-in), AndyreasDE (UTG+1) calls 23,905 (all-in)

Total pot:

Showdown:
qrezident (BB) shows J T (a full house, Jacks full of Tens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 45%, Flop: 75%, Turn: 82%, River: 100%)

AndyreasDE (UTG+1) shows 9 A (a flush, Ace high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 55%, Flop: 25%, Turn: 18%, River: 0%)

qrezident (BB) wins 80,885

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
This one sucks because V might have a worse flush or a straight. However, I've been burned by the paired board before.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard raise.

Flop
A9 has enough showdown value to check back here, but C-betting is also fine.

Turn
When you improve to a pair of 9, I would check back turn. Betting here is not getting a better hand to fold, and its a bit thin to bet for value. It would suck to get check-raised now, because that would probably force you to fold.

River
I would bet more than just 25% pot. Plenty of worse hands can call including a worse flush, a straight or slowplayed trips. When he check-jam, its an easy call, especially with your sizing, because some of those worse hands will check-jam for value. Unfortunately his range will also include most of the boats, but the SPR is to low to get away from the nut flush.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like what Fundiver above writes above. I think the flop should be a check here most of the time unless we are against an opponent who calls everything and plays too many hands because then we can actually target the crap they should not be in the hand with an are and hands they should not call with and will. You will see a lot of these players in 1.10s so its a possibility but most of the time I think checking flop is best. Turn I think I like betting small since I can get clubs to come along and certain opponents will also call (opponents who will call more with 10x or 8x here cause of the gutty) but checking is also fine since we have a pair and one of the flush draws.

River to me is where I disagree with Fundiver but not entirely. I think the river is close but one in the end I wind up calling but not fist pumping about it. I would not think villain would have Jx here since the way they just only called the turn. With a double flush draw on the board I cant see them only flatting there with Jx that is not already a boat given we bet small. They also dont have many Jx boats at this point in the hand (the turn) since we block the 9. Jumping to the river then I am only worried about 77 and 1010 here but I think both hands would play the hand exactly the way the villain played them. I also think villain would obviously call 2 smaller bets with KQ of hearts but how many other hearts does villain have? We have the ace and 9, with J,10 of hearts accounted for so are they calling our raise pre with K8 or Q8? I doubt it so that leaves 86, 65, maybe 54 that are not KQ. This is a $1.10 but are villains jamming river there with 6 or 8 high flush where we could have a Jx boat or a bigger flush? I dont know, that is villain dependent I guess. Like I said I think their boats are limited based on their turn flat but we and the board runout monopolizes a lot of smaller flushes too.

Full Flush Poker Folding in Poker