Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Currency
$
Since I am the short stack at this final table and I have top pair low kicker, it is wrong from me to shove the flop? I am thinking that since the CO called pre-flop his range is pretty wide and I think I can get called by him with any Qx, Jx, or draw. I don't think that post flop I can fold my hand.

pokerstars, $0.98 + $0.12 - Hold'em No Limit - 4,000/8,000 (1,000 ante) - 6 players

UTG: 112,834 (14 bb)
MP: 170,658 (21 bb)
CO: 339,422 (42 bb)
BU: 127,736 (16 bb)
SB: 260,816 (33 bb)
BB (Hero): 86,534 (11 bb)

Pre-Flop:
(18,000) Hero is BB with 6 K
2 players fold, CO calls 8,000, 2 players fold, Hero checks

Flop:
(26,000) K Q J (2 players)
Hero bets 77,534 (all-in), CO calls 77,534

Turn: (181,068) 4 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (181,068) 5 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: 181,068

R

rudi1998

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would check you don't need to bet and if he bets you should fold beacuse you have just top pair with bad kicker and most of his range are good hands with A K Q J or suited draws.

Axas90

Axas90

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So at this level, you should try to play the hand check/fold best. As already mentioned, a limp from CO is even possible with JJ+ or A10+. He will certainly call worse hands there, but it is a simple check/fold. Unless you have Special Reads on that player.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villains tendencies come into play a lot here. Big difference if they are a 70/5 player vs a 14/5 player. If this player is limping a lot of hands then I think jamming is a consideration. If they dont do this a lot but even still often enough I think I lean towards taking a free flop as you did. The flop also depends on what the previous sentence says since if they limp a lot then you are likely ahead but if they limp only somewhat then QJ, KJ, KQ are in his limping range probably. I would not be looking to fold post flop here in your spot but I also would not make a bet that is going to get called only if we are beat. I dont think villain is going to call off 25% of their stack and 3 times a pot bet here with Qx or Jx. You have the luxury of maybe villain thinking that you are jamming a flush draw but I personally still dont think they are calling with a worse one pair hand to that bet sizing. Therefore I like check calling the flop (depending on sizing, the smaller it is the more I think I would be thinking raising because I dont want them to draw basically free) and then if it a safe turn I would be check raising or check calling again depending on the sizing but more than likely would then put in the check raise.

If we are ahead in this hand on the flop we dont want to let villain off easy. We want to keep in their worse hands and get what we can out of them. I wouldnt think villain is going 3 streets with one pair so thats why my plan on the flop would be to check raise the turn. Betting as you did on the flop I feel like just makes villain only call with their better hands which we arent ahead of.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the problem with shoving in this spot is which hands is villain going to call you with? maybe q10 or j10, or pocket tens however in that spot you will be almost in a coinflip scenario... so instead of shoving you could just make a bet and then if villain re raises then you could just fold and wait for a better spot to risk your entire stack.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We are FT- there is ICM considerations- This will effect the V's limp range as both the BTN and you have shove size stacks and the SB can complete as well.
Therefore we do not want to play for stacks on this flop in fact we want to show down this hand if we can- as the V can and will trap all their big hands post flop.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even though you only started the hand with 11BB, it was a limped pot, so the Stack to Pot Ratio (SPR) was still around 3. This is not a spot, where we want to donk shove the flop with any hand. In fact your hand is not even that good, since Villian could easily have a straight or two pair already, or even just a better kicker with a hand like KT or K9. Or he could have a lot of equity with hands like AJ or QT, that have some kind of pair + straightdraw.

The best play is to check and try to show down your mediocre made hand as cheaply as possible. And if you face to much pressure especially on a bad board runout, that puts a 1-liner to a straight, then you can just fold and live to fight another day. You got to see a free flop, so at this point you have not put in any chips voluntarely, and you dont have to punt off your entire stack, just because you caught a small piece of the board.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There are certainly spots where you should be ripping it in when you make any kind of pair, but you're too deep here and the board texture is quite scary. Villains range is wide, but this flop still hits him pretty hard.

You have good showdown value with a marginal made hand and you should want to try to get to showdown as cheap as possible.

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Villains tendencies come into play a lot here. Big difference if they are a 70/5 player vs a 14/5 player. If this player is limping a lot of hands then I think jamming is a consideration. If they dont do this a lot but even still often enough I think I lean towards taking a free flop as you did. The flop also depends on what the previous sentence says since if they limp a lot then you are likely ahead but if they limp only somewhat then QJ, KJ, KQ are in his limping range probably. I would not be looking to fold post flop here in your spot but I also would not make a bet that is going to get called only if we are beat. I dont think villain is going to call off 25% of their stack and 3 times a pot bet here with Qx or Jx. You have the luxury of maybe villain thinking that you are jamming a flush draw but I personally still dont think they are calling with a worse one pair hand to that bet sizing. Therefore I like check calling the flop (depending on sizing, the smaller it is the more I think I would be thinking raising because I dont want them to draw basically free) and then if it a safe turn I would be check raising or check calling again depending on the sizing but more than likely would then put in the check raise.

If we are ahead in this hand on the flop we dont want to let villain off easy. We want to keep in their worse hands and get what we can out of them. I wouldnt think villain is going 3 streets with one pair so thats why my plan on the flop would be to check raise the turn. Betting as you did on the flop I feel like just makes villain only call with their better hands which we arent ahead of.

This are the Villains stats after 31 hands: VPIP 35 PFR 20 Limp 6 Flop C-bet 50 Turn C-bet 100 Fold to Flop C-bet 100 Post Flop AGG 0 and 3-bet 17

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The main issue here is, that stacks are much to deep to run this play, which is sometimes referred to as a stop and go. Stop and go is something, we typically want to do, if the SPR is a little over 1, and it can also be done as a pure bluff. Say we see a free flop or call a min-raise with J9s, and flop comes 442. We missed this flop completely, but the opponent likely also missed, and if we jam it in his face, its tough for him to call us with K high or Q high. So we get a decent amount of folds, and when he call, we usually have at least some equity.

But here with an SPR of 3, we should not be looking to get it in on the flop. We can either check and call a small bet, or lead out small ourselfes. As HP300GOD say, we never want to take an in between hand with decent showdown value and play it so fast, that we only get action, when we are way behind to a better made hand or flipping with a big draw.