$1,1 NLHE MTT Rebuy: A6s IP vs. Chipleader on BB (4handed)

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 41/28/1.8

Here you can watch the hand in Replayer before you read HH.

Hand Information
No Limit, 600 BB (4 handed).
Hand History converter courtesy of pokerhandreplays.com

Table Information
SB: 1 Player 1 ($10281) Small Blind *looked as a solid reg 29/18 (228h)
BB: 2 Player 2 ($47020) Big Blind *looked as a solid reg too 41/28 (486h), a bit more tricky one. Started this tournament pretty bad, did a lot of re-buys and lost most of his coin shoves, but after add-on managed to collect some chips and did a double-up against me some hands before and took a chip lead from me by that.
CO: 4 Hero ($17975)
BU: 7 Player 7 ($27851) Dealer *looked pretty nitty to me with 18/10 stats on 6Max tables after 164 hands.
Dealt to Hero
AD.png
6D.png

Preflop (Pot:900)
Hero RAISE $1350 *pretty standard x2.5 bet from me with a good hand for 4handed action.
Player 7 FOLD
Player 1 FOLD
Player 2 CALL $750

Flop(Pot: $3000)
5C.png
6S.png
5S.png

Player 2 CHECK
Hero BET $2000 *on such flop i thought it's very unlikely, that he hit a 5, cause there are not much 5s in his range i can imagine. I'm blocking A5 as well, so it could be only 56, 45. Of course there are also some 77, 88, but that guy was aggressive enough to 4bet me at PF with 99+ i think. So i was defending my 2 pairs against some flush draws, maybe even straight draws or overcards in his range.
Player 2 RAISE $5200 *now that's weird on such board i thought, but still he is capable to do so with flush & straight draws as he looked to me like a reg and he understanding, that i'm not really have goods that often on such board. And he is a chip leader too, who can be just making pressure on me.
Hero CALL $3200

Turn(Pot: $13400)
5C.png
6S.png
5S.png
QC.png

Player 2 BET $6100
Hero ALL-IN *Queen is not a card i wished to see at the turn, as it fits great in his PF calling range, but SPR was 1.1 already and he could be still drawing Flush or straight aggressively, so i just shoved.
Player 2 CALL $5325

River(Pot: $36250)
5C.png
6S.png
5S.png
QC.png
KC.png

Any thoughts on what was wrong and right, how would you play this one, guys?

SD:
Showdown:
Player 2 SHOWS
3H.png
5H.png

Hero SHOWS
AD.png
6D.png

Player 2 wins the pot: $36250

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Additional Information, that i forgot to mention in first post: 8 Players left only 2 ITM, no re-buys, add-ons or late registration anymore and 10 Minutes per Blinds LVL.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A few points of contention.

First, 41/28 isn't really what most people would call "solid reg" type stats. That's pretty damn loose aggressive, even for 6max.

Second, I think this player will have WAY more 5x in his range preflop than just A5, 65, and 54. He might be playing MOST suited 5x when you consider that you're 4-handed and he's calling in the BB.

Third, have you seen this guy check raise with bluffs before? I get that we are ahead of his combo draws and flush draws, but I kind of doubt he's ever doing this with pure air, and even something as weak as open ended without a flush draw seems unlikely to me. And when you actually look at the equity, we're not crushing those flush draws because they very often have 2 clean overcards they can hit in addition to the 9 flush cards.

I don't generally hate your thought process or the conclusion you came to, but I think some of the assumptions and reasoning from that are flawed. I'm not at all surprised to see the villain show up with a 5 here.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I like the flatting after the x/r but on the turn why you inflate more the pot?
You are the one who wants to pot control here because your hand on the turn is just the third pair without any blockers. You are beating only his bluffs and his draws.

I tend to believe that on micro stakes they don't bluff.I stopped thinking about fancy moves from my opponent and that saved me a lot of chips. I will start thinking about bluffs etc whenever I move on stakes ha ha. For now just abc poker :D

J

jrx1908

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And another detail: If the villain is a game at least regular and knows the game, there is hardly a hand drawing on a table with duplicate cards.

R

RicardoTolfo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First: A6 suited raise pre-flop... ok.
Second: For those who have already done many reentry, it is not really surprising to be paid with 55, K5s, A5s, even more the same being chipleader.. He will pay frequency and with marginal hands or suited. I think that you should have considered check or fold on the turn.

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A few points of contention.

First, 41/28 isn't really what most people would call "solid reg" type stats. That's pretty damn loose aggressive, even for 6max.

Second, I think this player will have WAY more 5x in his range preflop than just A5, 65, and 54. He might be playing MOST suited 5x when you consider that you're 4-handed and he's calling in the BB.

Third, have you seen this guy check raise with bluffs before? I get that we are ahead of his combo draws and flush draws, but I kind of doubt he's ever doing this with pure air, and even something as weak as open ended without a flush draw seems unlikely to me. And when you actually look at the equity, we're not crushing those flush draws because they very often have 2 clean overcards they can hit in addition to the 9 flush cards.

I don't generally hate your thought process or the conclusion you came to, but I think some of the assumptions and reasoning from that are flawed. I'm not at all surprised to see the villain show up with a 5 here.

First of all, thank you for taking your time and reviewing my hand. Really nice to have a point of view from a famed player. :cool:

Yeah i know what you mean with "First, 41/28 isn't really what most people would call "solid reg" type stats." and i totally agree, that his stats doesn't look "solid" at all, but it's more about my feeling, due watching his play before. In spite of his stats, this guy showed pretty tricky play before, so he is more in a category "LAG", than "Aggro-Fish" i would say. But you are right, maybe i gave him too much credit and narrowed his range way too much.

And yes i've seen his semi-bluff check-shove around 15BB with SPR about 3 with OESD on flop before, i took him out of tournament those time, so i can clearly remind it. :cool: But yeah, on the turn it's different. So would you actually play check-fold on such turn in these hand?

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the flatting after the x/r but on the turn why you inflate more the pot?
You are the one who wants to pot control here because your hand on the turn is just the third pair without any blockers. You are beating only his bluffs and his draws.

I tend to believe that on micro stakes they don't bluff.I stopped thinking about fancy moves from my opponent and that saved me a lot of chips. I will start thinking about bluffs etc whenever I move on stakes ha ha. For now just abc poker :D

Answering your question i have to quote myself, as i wrote it already above.
Alienat3d said:
HeroALL-IN*Queen is not a card i wished to see at the turn, as it fits great in his PF calling range, but SPR was 1.1 already and he could be still drawing Flush or straight aggressively, so i just shoved.
So.. yeah, 1 reason for that was, if i wasn't believing him at Flop, that he has it, why do i should do believe on Turn, where no Flush or Straight Draws were completed and in addition my SPR is 1.1, so there're already more chips in a pot, than in my stack at this point.

And another detail: If the villain is a game at least regular and knows the game, there is hardly a hand drawing on a table with duplicate cards.
Interesting point by the way, could you explain this more extended, please?

First: A6 suited raise pre-flop... ok.
Second: For those who have already done many reentry, it is not really surprising to be paid with 55, K5s, A5s, even more the same being chipleader.. He will pay frequency and with marginal hands or suited. I think that you should have considered check or fold on the turn.
Yes i see now, you're already second guy who notice it and thanks for that. I definitely gave him too much credit narrowing his range, although his stats were crying "It's a LAG!". Maybe i should have just let it go and save my Tournament Life on that flop check-raise. However because of such high SPR on Turn i can't see that it's possible to fold there. I think i was pretty much pot committed at that point. Maybe i should have even re-raise shove on the flop, trying to kick out some over pairs, because i did committed myself to the pot with that flat call already.. :rolleyes:
P.S. If i had more chips behind, probably i could find fold on turn..
P.P.S. Thank you guys for taking your time and reviewing these hand, i do really appreciate that. :tee:

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all, thank you for taking your time and reviewing my hand. Really nice to have a point of view from a famed player. :cool:

Yeah i know what you mean with "First, 41/28 isn't really what most people would call "solid reg" type stats." and i totally agree, that his stats doesn't look "solid" at all, but it's more about my feeling, due watching his play before. In spite of his stats, this guy showed pretty tricky play before, so he is more in a category "LAG", than "Aggro-Fish" i would say. But you are right, maybe i gave him too much credit and narrowed his range way too much.

And yes i've seen his semi-bluff check-shove around 15BB with SPR about 3 with OESD on flop before, i took him out of tournament those time, so i can clearly remind it. :cool: But yeah, on the turn it's different. So would you actually play check-fold on such turn in these hand?

I lol'd at "famed player" haha! :)

Anyway yeah I just think that when we have a hand that's pretty far down in our distribution, just folding the turn is likely fine, and prevents us from making larger mistakes later on in the hand. We also have hands that aren't ahead as often as A6, but actually have more equity against villain's range because they have more outs (like combos draws, or say Qx with a FD).

So yep I like a turn fold here.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands