yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
That is the perfect play, lol he wanted to traps any player by checking but he ended by falling into his own trap.

Miyagi not miyaji

Miyagi not miyaji

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
That is the perfect play, lol he wanted to traps any player by checking but he ended by falling into his own trap.
That wasn't a trap. Hero was the pre flop aggressor so it makes sense to check and not donk bet. That is why calling a min raise on the BB with AQ is a mistake

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
With stacks this deep I prefer to go larger than just a min-raise. Not the biggest issue in the world, but in the long run suboptimal sizing add ups to at least some lost EV.

Flop
Against 3 opponents I would also not C-bet, and if CO bets, I would just fold and be done with the hand. Basically treating it as a failed setmine.

Turn
Great turn obviously. There could be some merit to just calling, since it dont look like, either CO or SB has much, and if you raise, you allow them to easily get out of the hand. There is also no flushdraw to charge or protect from. But on the other hand there are straightdraws, and if you call, and someone call behind, BB is likely not going to bluff the river. So all in all I am ok with raising. Basically trying to stack BB and protect against the other players potentially drawing out on you with some random gutshot or whatever. And of course when BB 3-bet jam, its an easy call.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What hands do you raise the turn that big with on that dry board (with an ace) as a bluff?

A call is probably more balanced.
This is true but I think, as always, reads come into play even when we have a set and think we have the best hand by potentially a lot here. If this villain is bad we should be raising here and they could call it off with a lot we wouldnt think they would. Against better players here a call is much better as a raise on this board after flop checks will usually only get called by something that trapped you. So I think this is a hand where against good players we just call this turn and and against bad players we raise this turn. All of this is dependent on being heads up. I think against 3 opponents here regardless of skill we think we are going against, I would raise here. As FunDiver above points out, if other villains call behind then a bluff on the river will be less likely anyway. Its a good discussion point, though, about what we should do on this turn when facing a bet. Its the real takeaway from this hand imo and am glad you posted about it.

maronza1

maronza1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BW
Chips
yes thats a really bad play from him :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
on the flop there was no way to continue with 33

maronza1

maronza1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BW
Chips
What hands do you raise the turn that big with on that dry board (with an ace) as a bluff?

A call is probably more balanced.
do you want to say i should have called, or the villian should have called?

maronza1

maronza1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BW
Chips
Preflop
With stacks this deep I prefer to go larger than just a min-raise. Not the biggest issue in the world, but in the long run suboptimal sizing add ups to at least some lost EV.

Flop
Against 3 opponents I would also not C-bet, and if CO bets, I would just fold and be done with the hand. Basically treating it as a failed setmine.

Turn
Great turn obviously. There could be some merit to just calling, since it dont look like, either CO or SB has much, and if you raise, you allow them to easily get out of the hand. There is also no flushdraw to charge or protect from. But on the other hand there are straightdraws, and if you call, and someone call behind, BB is likely not going to bluff the river. So all in all I am ok with raising. Basically trying to stack BB and protect against the other players potentially drawing out on you with some random gutshot or whatever. And of course when BB 3-bet jam, its an easy call.
I was out of position, thats why i minraised my small pocket pair, i was not that deep, less than 100bb is just an average. Again if i raise to more than 2bb, and someone 3bets me while i am out of position with small pair is really bad, thats why i went for a minraise, to make ones with mediocre hands fold preflop.

The reason i minraised was for that, i do not want to lose more than 2bb for a failed hand, because preflop i am almost dominated by everyone.

Great turn indeed. I will never call a donk bet in this situation, its time to raise for value, if they are chasing draws its good for them to get out of hand because if i cold call this donkbet, im giving my opponent equity to call and improve on the river, i wanted to be heads up now, since there was a straight draw.

maronza1

maronza1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BW
Chips
This is true but I think, as always, reads come into play even when we have a set and think we have the best hand by potentially a lot here. If this villain is bad we should be raising here and they could call it off with a lot we wouldnt think they would. Against better players here a call is much better as a raise on this board after flop checks will usually only get called by something that trapped you. So I think this is a hand where against good players we just call this turn and and against bad players we raise this turn. All of this is dependent on being heads up. I think against 3 opponents here regardless of skill we think we are going against, I would raise here. As FunDiver above points out, if other villains call behind then a bluff on the river will be less likely anyway. Its a good discussion point, though, about what we should do on this turn when facing a bet. Its the real takeaway from this hand imo and am glad you posted about it.
Exactly my point

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
do you want to say i should have called, or the villian should have called?
If you play against players who notice that you only raise with very good hands on this board on the turn, they will probably fold almost everything that you beat. But maybe you do bluff here enough times? Or play against people who can't fold an ace to a raise on the turn even if you only do it with good hands?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was out of position, thats why i minraised my small pocket pair, i was not that deep, less than 100bb is just an average.
In a tournament almost 100BB is pretty deep, and its only, when we are down to less than 25BB, that min-raising is the optimal sizing.
Again if i raise to more than 2bb, and someone 3bets me while i am out of position with small pair is really bad,
So if you had a different kind of hand, you would have used a larger sizing? That can be ok, if the opponents are really bad and wont pick up on it. But then you could also limp your small pairs, which makes it even easier to setmine against a raise. Against better opponents I recommend only having one open sizing to not give away the strenght and type of your hand.

maronza1

maronza1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BW
Chips
In a tournament almost 100BB is pretty deep, and its only, when we are down to less than 25BB, that min-raising is the optimal sizing.

So if you had a different kind of hand, you would have used a larger sizing? That can be ok, if the opponents are really bad and wont pick up on it. But then you could also limp your small pairs, which makes it even easier to setmine against a raise. Against better opponents I recommend only having one open sizing to not give away the strenght and type of your hand.
Thanks, on micros a lot of players doesnt read opponents, that is why when i reraised his donkbet, he chose to go all in with a pair of aces, without thinking twice. But if it was a $50 tourney, a case was going to be different. No one would continue with one pair especially with a kicker which is not the best also. Again, i could have folded to a reraise preflop, because AQ is a hand to 3bet with.

_420_420_

_420_420_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Great all around, I mean the 2x preflop is the perfect size from UTG+1. You could have c-bet the flop, but checking was perfect here it worked since you improved on the turn (obvi); villain might have check-raised so you are protecting yourself from that.
On the turn just calling might have induced more players to call villains bet. It's fine that it ended heads up since you did get max value there, but if you just call you might have gotten more action with a raise on the turn. The board was really dry I am not sure what kinda hands would be calling there anyway (maybe people have like JT or even T8?).
But this ended perfectly for you, can't ask for much more than what you got.

maronza1

maronza1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BW
Chips
Great all around, I mean the 2x preflop is the perfect size from UTG+1. You could have c-bet the flop, but checking was perfect here it worked since you improved on the turn (obvi); villain might have check-raised so you are protecting yourself from that.
On the turn just calling might have induced more players to call villains bet. It's fine that it ended heads up since you did get max value there, but if you just call you might have gotten more action with a raise on the turn. The board was really dry I am not sure what kinda hands would be calling there anyway (maybe people have like JT or even T8?).
But this ended perfectly for you, can't ask for much more than what you got.
Thank you for a perfect review, my minraise was to protect my hand preflop. Postflop i didnt want to cause unnecessary action, as i knew my hand is dominated, i knew obviously someone had an A, so checking was perfect there. On the turn, my intension was to bet 30%-60% of the pot, but since there was an action before me, i decided to raise to pot size, so that hands like JT and 56 folds.