$1.05 NLHE STT Turbo: This is just unlucky, right?

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Is there anything else I should have done? First hand of a micro - anything can happen and usually does!

I got my money in as an 81% favorite so I guess there wasn't much more I could do!

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD and Database Software

NL Holdem $1+$0.05 (20BB)
HERO ($500)
UTG ($500)
HJ ($500)
CO ($500)
BTN ($500)
SB ($500)

Dealt to Hero: Q T

UTG Folds, HJ Folds, CO Folds, BTN Calls $20, SB Calls $10, HERO Raises To $80, BTN Calls $60, SB Folds

Hero SPR on Flop: [2.33 effective]
Flop ($180): 2 T Q
HERO Bets $90 (Rem. Stack: $330), BTN Calls $90 (Rem. Stack: $330)

Turn ($360): 2 T Q 9
HERO Bets $330 (allin), BTN Calls $330 (allin)

River ($1020): 2 T Q 9 8

BTN shows: J T

BTN wins: $1020

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, this is unlucky and no way you can fold once that flop hits and you have top two pair. This is a tournament where it looks like you only start with 25 BBs which I am not a fan of. When we start that low of stacks we need to be betting aggressively when we hit it and be willing to go with it as you did. The only thing I will say is that I dont like raising pre flop there being in the BB. The reason is you probably dont know the opponents unless you have played against them before and unless you know button is folder then you will normally get called and then be out of position with a meh hand and also on top of that, have no real idea of what the villains range is other than its not JJ+. I think this hand plays better to play a cheap flop and go from there. It did turn out that you got a dominated hand to call you and flopped well against it but I still feel you are better here just calling and seeing a flop.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes, this is unlucky and no way you can fold once that flop hits and you have top two pair. This is a tournament where it looks like you only start with 25 BBs which I am not a fan of. When we start that low of stacks we need to be betting aggressively when we hit it and be willing to go with it as you did. The only thing I will say is that I dont like raising pre flop there being in the BB. The reason is you probably dont know the opponents unless you have played against them before and unless you know button is folder then you will normally get called and then be out of position with a meh hand and also on top of that, have no real idea of what the villains range is other than its not JJ+. I think this hand plays better to play a cheap flop and go from there. It did turn out that you got a dominated hand to call you and flopped well against it but I still feel you are better here just calling and seeing a flop.

I've been playing the 3man Jackpot S&Gs and been doing really well so I thought I would try a 6 man. I like the fast format, actually. But I understand why you might not like them!

I questioned my raise as well when I was reviewing this hand so I agree a check would have been better. But as played, just a bad run out for my hand. Villain got a great run out.

Thanks for responding.

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's so ugly, but two pairs on a coordinated board hardly ever wins. The straight has more possibilities to develop. Once you're in the hand, you can't get away- so why are you in the hand? Pre-flop fold instntly!

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's so ugly, but two pairs on a coordinated board hardly ever wins. The straight has more possibilities to develop. Once you're in the hand, you can't get away- so why are you in the hand? Pre-flop fold instntly!

In a hyper turbo like this, QT has to be played from the BB but checking might have been the better option pre-flop

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop I prefer to just take a free flop with QTo, especially when stacks are this shallow. Postflop I would also bet flop and jam turn. My only suggestion would be to go a bit larger on the flop, so that the flop and turn bets get more similar in size. As you say, the result is just a standard bad beat.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Preflop I prefer to just take a free flop with QTo, especially when stacks are this shallow. Postflop I would also bet flop and jam turn. My only suggestion would be to go a bit larger on the flop, so that the flop and turn bets get more similar in size. As you say, the result is just a standard bad beat.

Thanks fundiver. Yep. Checking pre would have been better. What is the benefit of making the flop and turn bets similar in size?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is the benefit of making the flop and turn bets similar in size?

It makes it slightly more likely, that the turn bet gets called by worse hands. If for instance he had a hand like A3 of diamonds, you gave him a good price to call on the flop, but on the turn he could have gotten away getting only a little better than 2:1.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would’ve checked and then still try to get the chips in on the flop or turn depending on your opponent. But overall, just unlucky.

konatus

konatus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a very nice hand to analyze, I don't like to play QTo aggresively pre-flop