MTT
Buy-in
$0
Freeroll
  1. Freeroll
PFR
Currency
$

Hi all. I have this hand 30 mins in to one of the new 20k GG freerolls they are running. The table is made up of a fair few average players and 1 sitout.

But having missed the first 10-15 mins, I don't have any solid reads on the table or the villain specifically.

The hand itself is pretty standard, I get QQ and 2.2X, Villain shoves 30 BBs ish effective, my stack, and I lose the flip. My question is can I fold here? Should I fold here? I feel I have a decent chance in this tourney against the player pool in general. I call off 28bbs and lose a flip. If maybe the answer is you have to call in this spot, against this player pool, in this game, then my follow up question is when does, or when can this be a fold, for example, is it more of a fold if I call off more bbs? 40bbs 50bbs 100bbs??

I'm trying to learn to avoid flips early in tourneys, I can fold here and have basically not lost anything, and I can outplay the average player in this game I'm pretty sure.....Have I just joined the bingofest? So where is the line and what if anything should I consider if I think I should could fold here??

Cheers guys!!

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As played is good imo. You start the hand with 32 BBs and have QQ. I would be opening and then looking to get it in here too especially in a freeroll and if the structure is turbo (which I don't know what the structure is), I would be even more willing to get it in. All seems right here and you call as you should when you get jammed on and are a favorite, it just doesnt hold. If you fold in these spots of these stacks with QQ (anything Id say 40 BBs or less but that number is debatable) you are throwing away chip accumulating opportunities. This was a call and it just didn't work out

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Can you fold: yes. Should you fold: No (unless you are up against some supernit that only pushes with AA (and when drunk also with KK).

Standard call. You don't mind a flip 30BB deep and should be good against most of an unknown player's range.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Honestly I think the thinking should be... "great chance to double there" Lost. Next.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
You did nothing wrong.
There would be a consideration to fold close to the bubble I guess but never in the early stages of a freeroll.
This is in most cases a welcomed double up you just got unlucky.
I would have put him on AK ,AQ or frankly any pair above 5 .. then again there is rarely a red line with such people. They could shove with literally anything and the do!

Outcome sucks but this was a correct play 100%.
Myself got knocked out with AA . I however played it wrong..I only made a minraise (it was already ITM )
Should have pushed allin preflop , that way my villain might have folded his KJ of hearts.
Flop gave him flush and straight draw..so yeah that's on me. He might have also called my allin but then it would have been just bad luck and not incorrect play on my side

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hi all. I have this hand 30 mins in to one of the new 20k GG freerolls they are running. The table is made up of a fair few average players and 1 sitout.

But having missed the first 10-15 mins, I don't have any solid reads on the table or the villain specifically.

The hand itself is pretty standard, I get QQ and 2.2X, Villain shoves 30 BBs ish effective, my stack, and I lose the flip. My question is can I fold here? Should I fold here? I feel I have a decent chance in this tourney against the player pool in general. I call off 28bbs and lose a flip. If maybe the answer is you have to call in this spot, against this player pool, in this game, then my follow up question is when does, or when can this be a fold, for example, is it more of a fold if I call off more bbs? 40bbs 50bbs 100bbs??

I'm trying to learn to avoid flips early in tourneys, I can fold here and have basically not lost anything, and I can outplay the average player in this game I'm pretty sure.....Have I just joined the bingofest? So where is the line and what if anything should I consider if I think I should could fold here??

Cheers guys!!
If we have a big skill advantage we can consider folding at 100bb because we will still get lots of play ahead of us. We can control our risk more and not just be knocked out of a freeroll like this.

We can also fold at lower stack depths based on table dynamics if most of the table is passive and we are building our stack with little risk-
This is not what we would normally do but some times we play the situation 20k freeroll and not the long term math

:unsure::geek:

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Thanks all. I def didn’t think I did anything wrong here. I suppose I’m interested in where the line might change.

I’m leaning towards 50bbs then maybe there’s no need to gamble. I believe in this tourney I could play without all ins and likely cash.

Also where is the line drawn for this particular spot, but in terms of different hands. For example JJ, TT AK? What do you think? I don’t think TT and probs not AK but maybe JJ?!

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Hi. Never fold here. I play the same way in this case. You had no other option here.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks all. I def didn’t think I did anything wrong here. I suppose I’m interested in where the line might change.

I’m leaning towards 50bbs then maybe there’s no need to gamble. I believe in this tourney I could play without all ins and likely cash.

Also where is the line drawn for this particular spot, but in terms of different hands. For example JJ, TT AK? What do you think? I don’t think TT and probs not AK but maybe JJ?!
This spot is such an exploit spot with players making huge shoving mistakes that we cannot draw a line between JJ and QQ because they both play exactly the same vs any exploit range that does not shove AA KK QQ

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This spot is such an exploit spot with players making huge shoving mistakes that we cannot draw a line between JJ and QQ because they both play exactly the same vs any exploit range that does not shove AA KK QQ
OK cheers, that makes sense to me.

Miyagi not miyaji

Miyagi not miyaji

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
there isn't much strategy going on in those large fields freerolls. You gotta win a lot of flips to get to the top spots

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also think it was a suitable game in this tournament, because everyone here is much more looser because of the free ticket, so it could have been a much weaker card than the opponent, regardless of the style of the game and the strength of the game represented until then.