$0.50 NLHE STT: Calling an All-In raise PF 2-handed w/ K7s against an aggressive player.

C

Cymro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$0.50 NLHE STT: Calling an All-In raise PF 2-handed w/ K7s against an aggressive player.

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 27.3/14.29/52.63

Hi,

I just came first in two $0.50 9-handed SnG tournaments on Full Tilt. I won the last tournament with a loose play, and I'm not sure if I should have raised or not.

Full Tilt - $0.50|80/160 NL - Holdem - 2 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 22.69 BB (VPIP: 26.51, PFR: 13.25, 3Bet Preflop: 5.26, hands: 88)
Hero (SB): 61.68 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 7<font color='black'>♣</font> K<font color='black'>♣</font>

Hero raises to 3 BB, BB raises to 9 BB, Hero raises to 27 BB, BB calls 13.69 BB and is all-in

Flop: (45.39 BB, 2 players) 2[color=black'>♣[/color] 8<font color='black'>♣</font> 4<font color='black'>♣</font>

Turn: (45.39 BB, 2 players) A<font color='red'>♦</font>

River: (45.39 BB, 2 players) T<font color='red'>♦</font>

Hero shows 7<font color='black'>♣</font> K<font color='black'>♣</font> (Flush, King High) (Pre 31%, Flop 97%, Turn 100%)
BB shows Q<font color='black'>♣</font> Q<font color='red'>♥</font> (One Pair, Queens) (Pre 69%, Flop 3%, Turn 0%)
Hero wins 0 BB
Hero wins 45.39 BB

So, I had knocked out the 3rd place player 5 hands previously, and it was down to us and had a huge chip lead over the villain. His PFR and VPIP for the game were higher than for a normal winning player, but not that high. I'd never played this villain before, so stats were only for this tourney. I'd never seen him go to SD with premium starting hands before, and I'd seen him raise All-In with bottom pair on extremely wet boards, and bet-fold a lot/

This was the first time he 3 bet me pre-flop, and I figured he was holding a marginal hand like he had been before and that with the stack sizes and the fact I was already making a 60% profit I might as well take the risk. I was surprised to be looking at QQ, but I hit a flush on the flop and won.

So, I'm just looking for comments on whether this is too loose a play given the situation, because despite winning the hand I couldn't help but think this was a bad call.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I disagree with the call...K7s is fine to raise headsup however once you get 3bet...flashing signs go off...its time to get out...K7s is a hand that's rarely going to be ahead of villains 3bet range regardless of the spot here...you even said this was the 1st time he 3bet you...therefore hes likely strong and K7s aipf most likely isn't going to be ahead and rarely will be a huge fav...I can see 3bet shoving Ax as you have a blocker...but overall folding to a 3bet here is the best play as you will have better spots headsup to potentionally trap this guy and get your chips in ahead...If you were only 5 hands in this headsup match 3bet shoving K7s isnt a play you should ever be making with little headsup history on the villain...the result here is meaningless of whether you won or not...so yes the play was too loose!

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The key here is this is the first time he has 3bet you, you should have no reason to suspect he has anything but very strong hands here, most of which will not fold to a 4bet after he puts in nearly half his stack, and most of which i would assume absolutely crush your actual hand here. Just because he showed down hands postflop does not mean his 3betting range is weak like you assumed.

Those stats you give us are of little value, I assume they are not filtered for HU play and the sample size is probably irrelevant.

No real need to be raising to 3x HU, anything above 2.5x doesn't really make sense, General play is too aggressive to be 3xing, and we really want our opponants to play against us OOP as much as possible if we have a skill edge on them.

C

Cymro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No real need to be raising to 3x HU, anything above 2.5x doesn't really make sense, General play is too aggressive to be 3xing, and we really want our opponants to play against us OOP as much as possible if we have a skill edge on them.

That's interesting. What's your rationale for this? The reason I made this play in the first place was that I wanted to steal the blinds and when he 3-Bet me twice the pot I figured it was an attempt to re-steal. In my experience, looser microstakes players like this guy often won't budge to a 3bb raise if they're holding anything over J-3o.

JPoling

JPoling

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just don't understand your shove here. Did you really think you were ahead? I already figured you were behind when I seen his 3-bet. You had good chip lead. Why wouldnt we just flat to see flop or fold. Bad play in my eyes but it paid off for you. Also, if you planned on shoving still bad play because you waited. If you wanted to shove with K7s you should of did it first chance you had and commit to it.

C

Cymro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just don't understand your shove here. Did you really think you were ahead? I already figured you were behind when I seen his 3-bet. You had good chip lead. Why wouldnt we just flat to see flop or fold. Bad play in my eyes but it paid off for you. Also, if you planned on shoving still bad play because you waited. If you wanted to shove with K7s you should of did it first chance you had and commit to it.

I didn't think I was ahead, I figured he probably had a hand similar to mine and was overplaying it, based on the way I'd seen him play earlier hands. In Holdem Poker, players don't always bet because they've got a good hand.

Last edited:
C

Cymro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Same villain is BB in this hand:

Full Tilt - $0.50|20/40 NL - Holdem - 8 players

BTN: 31.95 BB (VPIP: 20.00, PFR: 10.00, 3Bet Preflop: 33.33, Hands: 10)
SB: 33.38 BB (VPIP: 40.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)
BB: 56.25 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)
UTG: 34 BB (VPIP: 40.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)
UTG+1: 33.5 BB (VPIP: 20.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)
MP: 55.88 BB (VPIP: 60.00, PFR: 10.00, 3Bet Preflop: 25.00, Hands: 10)
MP+1: 46.5 BB (VPIP: 30.00, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)
Hero (CO): 46.05 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J 4

UTG calls 1 BB, UTG+1 calls 1 BB, MP calls 1 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, BB raises to 5.5 BB, UTG calls 4.5 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (13.5 BB, 2 players) 9 7 T
BB bets 11 BB, UTG calls 11 BB

Turn: (35.5 BB, 2 players) Q♣
BB bets 39.75 BB and is all-in, UTG calls 17.5 BB and is all-in

River: (70.5 BB, 2 players) Q

BB shows 7♣ K<font color='red'>♦[/color] (Two Pair, Queens and Sevens) (Pre 32%, Flop 58%, Turn 80%)
UTG shows 8♣ K♣ (One Pair, Queens) (Pre 68%, Flop 42%, Turn 20%)
BB wins 70.5 BB

Here he is MP:

Full Tilt - $0.50|50/100 NL - Holdem - 6 players

BB: 17.35 BB (VPIP: 12.24, PFR: 8.33, 3Bet Preflop: 6.25, Hands: 50)
UTG: 33.45 BB (VPIP: 18.00, PFR: 8.00, 3Bet Preflop: 6.67, Hands: 50)
MP: 34.8 BB (VPIP: 22.45, PFR: 10.20, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 50)
CO: 13.66 BB (VPIP: 38.78, PFR: 4.08, 3Bet Preflop: 4.76, Hands: 50)
BTN: 7.77 BB (VPIP: 22.00, PFR: 18.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 50)
Hero (SB): 27.97 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 5♣ 9

fold, MP raises to 3.5 BB, fold, fold, fold, BB raises to 17.35 BB and is all-in, MP calls 13.85 BB

Flop: (35.2 BB, 2 players) 3 7 8♣

Turn: (35.2 BB, 2 players) T

River: (35.2 BB, 2 players) T>♦

BB shows K♠ Q♥ (One Pair, Tens) (Pre 25%, Flop 16%, Turn 25%)
MP shows Q♠ A♠> (One Pair, Tens) (Pre 75%, Flop 84%, Turn 75%)
MP wins 35.2 BB

Last edited:
Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Give him credit for a real hand when he 3bets you for half his stack and it's the first time he's 3bet you. I'd tentatively put his range at 66+ and AK,AQ,AJ. Of that range you are in pretty bad shape vs everything except the 66.

I know you've seen him do some weird plays earlier, but you also admitted you didn't have many hands on him. Not only is this the first time he's 3bet YOU, but according to your stats his 3bet % is only 5% which suggests a premium range. However, I do agree with WizzIM that the stats are fairly useless.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
King high is a strong hand to play heads up. So you played it right by the way in my book, Villain is short stacked so i would also 3bet or get it in with King high. It was a bit unlucky (or seemed like it) that he had 2 queens but i would get it in with king high heads up all day long, everyday of the week, just cannot fold and flat calling will be very passive.

So well played and the most importantly "you ran good":icon_pira.

Himanshu

Himanshu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its hard to think what hands a king and a 7 beats i feel for the guy with queens who has to go because he played well. There are not too many players who will call a all in with a K7 and i wonder why because its a wining play.

TomLeach

TomLeach

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
King high is a strong hand to play heads up. So you played it right by the way in my book, Villain is short stacked so i would also 3bet or get it in with King high. It was a bit unlucky (or seemed like it) that he had 2 queens but i would get it in with king high heads up all day long, everyday of the week, just cannot fold and flat calling will be very passive.

So well played and the most importantly "you ran good":icon_pira.

Yeah, you are ahead of a random range HU with K7s, but when he 3bets with half his stack, you probably arent. If youre going to get it in you jam first!

Its hard to think what hands a king and a 7 beats i feel for the guy with queens who has to go because he played well. There are not too many players who will call a all in with a K7 and i wonder why because its a wining play.
You cant just make such a vague comment, calling every single all in with K7 is not a winning play.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands