mardi1987

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Position 42/401 price 0.75$
Maybe I should have played differently, the whole tournament went well for me, I could have finished better. A couple of hands earlier I played badly JJ then I lost half the stack

Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - 3,600/7,200 (720 ante) - 6 players

UTG: 93,984 (13 bb)
MP (Hero): 63,563 (9 bb)
CO: 171,029 (24 bb)
BU: 79,742 (11 bb)
SB: 318,784 (44 bb)
BB: 482,812 (67 bb)

Pre-Flop: (15,120) Hero is MP with A♣ T♦
1 fold, Hero raises to 15,840, 3 players fold, BB calls 8,640

Flop: (39,600) J♣ 4♣ Q♠ (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets 9,900, BB calls 9,900

Turn: (59,400) 3♥ (2 players)
BB bets 18,000, Hero raises to 37,103 (all-in), BB calls 19,103

River: (133,606) 9♦ (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: 133,606

Showdown:
MP (Hero) shows A♣ T♦ (high card, Ace)
(equity - Pre-Flop: 63%, Flop: 71%, Turn: 80%, River: 0%)

BB shows 8♣ 9♠ (a pair of Nines)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 37%, Flop: 29%, Turn: 20%, River: 100%)

BB wins 133,606

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have no fold equity against loose passive player. So you have to bet with value hands.

mardi1987

mardi1987

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
You have no fold equity against loose passive player. So you have to bet with value hands.
If I’m right I was still in the green zone, I played wrong and in the end I could double up. I haven't played for a long time but in this situation ATo is a fold preflop the only correct move?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recommend, that you take the free CC 30 day course. You will find it under "poker strategy". One of the concepts teached in the course, is, that as the main rule we should move to push-fold poker, when our stack is:

< 10 BB without antes
< 15 BB with antes

Sometimes we can set a "trap" by min-raising very strong hands like QQ+ or AK, where we actually want someone to jam on us more light, than they would call. But ATo is certainly not strong enough to be a "trap" hand. So to make a long story short, this should just have been an easy jam preflop. And yes ATo is strong enough to open jam for 9BB from any seat on a 6-max table. A little marginal UTG, but here you were MP, and then its not even marginal.

If you jam preflop, then 98o most likely fold, and thats a great result. The blinds and antes are around 25% of your stack, and increasing your stack 25% without even having to show down the best hand is huge. This is why, pushing is such a powerfull move. So postflop in this hand should never even have happened, and therefore there is no point in digging into it. Just jam preflop next time, and if someone gives you action, then come what may. ATo always have at least 25-30% equity preflop, unless you run into exactly AA, and if you win an all-in, now you are in a much better position to continue in the tournament :)

mardi1987

mardi1987

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
I recommend, that you take the free CC 30 day course. You will find it under "Poker Strategy". One of the concepts teached in the course, is, that as the main rule we should move to push-fold poker, when our stack is:

< 10 BB without antes
< 15 BB with antes

Sometimes we can set a "trap" by min-raising very strong hands like QQ+ or AK, where we actually want someone to jam on us more light, than they would call. But ATo is certainly not strong enough to be a "trap" hand. So to make a long story short, this should just have been an easy jam preflop. And yes ATo is strong enough to open jam for 9BB from any seat on a 6-max table. A little marginal UTG, but here you were MP, and then its not even marginal.

If you jam preflop, then 98o most likely fold, and thats a great result. The blinds and antes are around 25% of your stack, and increasing your stack 25% without even having to show down the best hand is huge. This is why, pushing is such a powerfull move. So postflop in this hand should never even have happened, and therefore there is no point in digging into it. Just jam preflop next time, and if someone gives you action, then come what may. ATo always have at least 25-30% equity preflop, unless you run into exactly AA, and if you win an all-in, now you are in a much better position to continue in the tournament :)
Thanks a lot. That I will have to re-read some strategies I have forgotten a lot. This tournament is not so important (small entrance is played very widely) but it will be useful to me later when I switch to bigger roles. I'm making BR and in a month today I arrived from 0 to 160 $ ​​so I'll start micro MTT soon. So far I have played 95% freeroll

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Should add that the 10/15BB rule is of course just a guideline. Tournament poker has definitely evolved lately with min-raising out of shorter stacks becoming more common. The size of the total ante also matter, and here with just 6 players it was smaller than on a 9 player table, so maybe the theoretical optimum is 13BB or something like that. A passive table with most people calling rather than rejamming can also make min-raising more profitable.

So if you had started the hand with 12-15BB, preflop is much less of a clear decision, and folding, min-raising or jamming could all be reasonable choises. But with 9BB you were below even the guideline for non ante games, so this particular hand was a very easy jam. There was also no reason to be conservative here, since with 42 players left you were still far away from the final table and any significant payjumps.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should jam all in pre flop, A10 is strong enough even if someone calls. You had a chance even on the flop to jam all in, 98 would fold there to, if called, you have some equity with your gutshot and one over. Good luck with your bankroll!!!