• Thread starter Russian_Californian
  • Start date
R

Russian_Californian

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I've been doing well in those 0.25 45 man sngs on pokerstars.
Started changing my strategy from somewhat nitty to more loose. It's really more profitable that way. Anyway, I got knocked out at the final table, seemingly not due to my error, who knows though...

Preliminary observations.
I was playing most pots in position either on the BTN, CO or (LP1, MP2) sometimes, opening from earlier positions only when I had a decent hand which happened extremely rarely.
Basically, I played plenty of pots in position, which allowed me to steal a lot preflop, and outplay post flop the majority.
The villain is to seats from me, meaning that whenever I'm on the BTN, he's on the BB, or, whenever I'm on the CO, he's on the SB. Player next to me was very weak and passive, and was somehow almost always folding to my ATC open-raises from the CO when he was on the BTN with the exception of a couple (probably he had AA or something that time).
The villain, however, would play back at me at times, quite frequently, which made it obvious that sometimes he would 3bet light. I would 4bet when I was strong, and fold when I was not. He wasn't 3betting like every other pot so it wasn't a big problem.

THe hand:

Final table... The same player is on the same seat relative to me.
I have QQ on the BTN, I raise to 2.5BB, he 3bets me 5BB, I 4bet him twice that and he calls. Hm, I think... something decent probably, maybe better than QQ??
Flop comes 7Q8... He goes all in, of course I call....
The turn comes J, the river comes a 2.
Villain shows 9To, I go bust.

Was that a wrong call of me?
I think folding a set is dumb, or was that optimal in that situation?

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the size of the stack and already ante ? Instead 4bet maybe you had to go all in...

With regard to postflop, only cooler, no luck.. but its fine game...

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I've been doing well in those 0.25 45 man sngs on Pokerstars.

THe hand:

Final table... The same player is on the same seat relative to me.
I have QQ on the BTN, I raise to 2.5BB, he 3bets me 5BB, I 4bet him twice that and he calls. Hm, I think... something decent probably, maybe better than QQ??
Flop comes 7Q8... He goes all in, of course I call....
The turn comes J, the river comes a 2.
Villain shows 9To, I go bust.

Was that a wrong call of me?
I think folding a set is dumb, or was that optimal in that situation?

As said above we need more information. (stack sizes, blind size, suit of the cards, some information about the player's etc..)

Its really important that if you post you give us such information, otherwise nobody is able to give you relevant information!

For me it seems more like cooler imo

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played the hand well. Going all in there after flopping a set is more than optimal if you ask me :p.

Just plain bad luck that villain drew out on you this time around. Happens in poker.:rolleyes:

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was played great, your smallish 4bet was probably the main issue that I see in the hand, probably should have just shoved. A flopped set vs an open ender is a great spot to be in and I'd take it every time...

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it was a good game, just had villain chance and luck, the worst of all is that in higher limits, was virtually certain AA or KK, in this case, the right would fold pre-flop, that wins, but like I said only out of luck, as the villain lucky to have hit on his hand.

Himanshu

Himanshu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you were just unlucky in that hand you played it fine.

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
How stacks and player statistics? In most when 4bet in micro sng I am here 4bet/all.

B

bondgaurav21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the size of the stack and already ante ? Instead 4bet maybe you had to go all in...

With regard to postflop, only cooler, no luck.. but its fine game...

I think 4 betting is a right option to gain more value here. Bad luck only... you have done things right.

That guy is a fool in the dictionary of Phil helmuth. Going allin with gut shot (tag him as a maniac for future money).

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 4 betting is a right option to gain more value here. Bad luck only... you have done things right.

That guy is a fool in the dictionary of Phil helmuth. Going allin with gut shot (tag him as a maniac for future money).

Opponent had open ended straight draw not gut shot and possible flush draw x% of time on flop (no info) - he aint going nowhere on flop!

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played it fine.

I actually like your smallish 4bet because you have good reason to think he's 3betting you light and THIS TIME you finally have a monster. If you blast the pot he'll just fold all his junky hands; you want to keep those junky hands in there. Of course, when junky hands stay in some weird things can happen and you can get sucked out on. Oh well, without risk there is no reward. usually you'll crush him with position and a premium hand.

obviously, neither of you are going anywhere on that flop so whatever happens after you pile it in is just poker.

I think you played it great.

Also, from the way you describe your table I can tell you're playing well. You're aware of how the other players perceive you from all different positions and how they are countering you and you're not letting your ego decide when to make a stand, you're waiting for profitable situations.

good job. sorry about the bad luck. at least it was only $0.25! :)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands