$0,25 NL HE MTT: Bet small(er) with pocket Aces to hope more people call?

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Currency
$
Ok, the last hand from this tournament:
I was UTG and received pocket aces. So I bet 3bb and MP+1 called. The flop was sort of wet, had two ♣, so I was afraid to get beaten by a flush. Therefore I bet full pot and the other player folded. Should I have bet smaller to hope to make him call and win a bigger pot?

pokerstars, $0.23 + $0.02 - Hold'em No Limit - 15/30 (4 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

AndyreasDE (UTG): 2,825 (94 bb)
hanher94 (UTG+1): 1,691 (56 bb)
Waiheke Wiz (MP): 1,900 (63 bb)
REDBLUEPURPLE (MP+1): 1,801 (60 bb)
Andru1963 (CO): 3,227 (108 bb)
Dibelpokerdjiq (BU): 6,266 (209 bb)
Ath3ri (SB): 1,333 (44 bb)
saskie19 (BB): 1,416 (47 bb)

Pre-Flop: (77) Hero (AndyreasDE) is UTG with A A
AndyreasDE (UTG) raises to 90, 2 players fold, REDBLUEPURPLE (MP+1) calls 90, 3 players fold, saskie19 (BB) calls 60

Flop: (317) 5 6 2 (3 players)
saskie19 (BB) checks, AndyreasDE (UTG) bets 317, 2 players fold

Total pot: 317
AndyreasDE (UTG) wins 317

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Nope.

Remember that AA is top pair with a slim chance of improving. On a wet board, take it down and be happy.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
sou bad com AA, na minha opinião, voice jogou certain

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This was not a good spot to use such a large betsizing. The pot is multiway, and you were fairly deep against both opponents. If you start to build a very large pot in a situation like this, you usually end up getting it in against hands, that already beat you or have a lot of equity, and make most other hands fold. Especially with AA this is a flop, you can even consider checking. If for instance you had TT, it has value to bet and make a hand like KJ fold, because it has 6 outs to a higher pair. But against AA KJ need a perfect runner-runner to win, so you dont mind someone staying involved with KJ and either bluff the turn or catch up to top pair, so they can pay you off.

Having A of clubs makes it even less nessesary to bet the flop, because if a club comes on the turn, that will give you a draw to the nut flush, and its also less likely, someone has a flushdraw in the first place. There is only one ace of clubs, so when you have it, they cant have A3 of clubs, A4 of clubs, A5 of clubs and so on and so forth. So its a completely wrong mindset to panic, because there are two clubs on the board, and use that as a reason to bomb the flop. Betting is not bad, but if you want to bet, you should use a smaller sizing like half pot, and personally I will often check AA on a board like this, especially when I hold A of clubs.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It is not necessary to bet so large here. "I was afraid to get beaten by a flush". This is a mindset issue that you need to address. Just because a flop has two cards to a flush, does not mean you should automatically be worrying only about the potential flushes. In addition to that, you have the A♣️, which makes it much less likely that MP villain has a flush draw (instead of having all Ax♣️, they probably only have KT, KJ, KQ and QJ, maybe QT as well). BB will have more flush possibilities, but not many that they'll be particularly happy with, except 34♣️ and 78♣️

On this board texture, you have range advantage, but BB has nut advantage as he has all the sets and 2 pairs in his range. As BB checks, I would bet 1/3-1/2 pot here and re-evaluate depending on whether you get one or two callers.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What you should be asking yourself is, what range of hands do you bet on this flop and for what sizing?

Yes it was too big, unless you're always potting the top MW with a wide range of hands.

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With Aces you want to thin the field with one or two callers ideally. You don't want to min raise and have 4 callers, and then when the flop comes there is betting and raising- then you realize your Aces are no good.

There are not many hands that are beating you on this flop- a set of course, a made straight, and two pair- though less likely. You don't want them to outdraw you, but at the same time you don't want to build a large pot out of position with a single pair. A standard C-bet of 50% fit's the bill just fine. If you are leading and controlling the betting and someone is then betting or raising into you, it's time to really examine what you're opponent has.