$0.11 NLHE MTT Turbo: Jam Pre-flop? What if you don't? What then?

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain is an aggressive player, loves to raise with mediocre hand. Hence, decided to just smooth call. But what to do when he bets so big on the flop?

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 0.11 Tournament, 1,500/3,000 Blinds 375 Ante (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

MP2 (t22,258)
MP3 (t50,010)
CO (t133,174)
Button (t24,718)
Hero (SB) (t49,526)
BB (t52,056)
UTG (t122,636)
UTG+1 (t32,834)
MP1 (t29,477)

Hero's M: 6.29

Preflop: Hero is SB with J
spade.gif
, J
diamond.gif

UTG raises to t6,000, 6 folds, Hero calls t4,500, BB calls t3,000

Flop: (t21,375) 3
spade.gif
, 6
spade.gif
, 4
club.gif
(3 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG bets t21,375

Hero??

P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre-flop - against an aggressive villain prefer a jam here. The flat call prices the BB in to call with pretty much ATC so you are going 3-way to a flop with a hand that doesn't really play well against two opponents.

Flop - as played villain has no reason to not c-bet this flop as neither you nor the BB has shown any aggression up to this point. Villain could have virtually anything however pot size c-bet suggests they are not going for value and don't want a call so I would be jamming here and hoping for the best. My line here, this flop couldn't be much better for JJ, would always be to c/r - only question would be how big the raise which is based upon the size of the c-bet. That being said in this situation I would have jammed pre-flop and avoided any awkward post flop situations.

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain is an aggressive player, loves to raise with mediocre hand.

Structure?

In general: preflop: AI or 3bet/call. We are almost in danger zone (M: ~6)+hero position (+hero hand strenght vs multiway OOP)+no info BB+micro+UTG got polarized range decent % of time. imo

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot already big, so easy shove your 15bb in preflop, no call or 3bet because you OOP and have short stack..

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turbo 5-mins blind level.

Agree with what everyone's pointing out, that's the best course of action. But still if my opponent was on high cards, I could have gained more and lost the minimum. My line of thought was that if no high cards come, I would check/jam and if high cards like A, K or Q comes, I would just check/fold.

I check/jammed, he called. Off course he had Aces. Got lucky on the turn, spiking a Jack.

Structure?

In general: preflop: AI or 3bet/call. We are almost in danger zone (M: ~6)+hero position (+hero hand strenght vs multiway OOP)+no info BB+micro+UTG got polarized range decent % of time. imo

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
jam pre

if you plan to call and fold to any A K Q you will be folding 60% of the time on average..

MTT's are all about taking higher variance plays until the final table, this type of thing you are talking about is great for 9 man SNG, but with MTTs you have such a huge field, you would actually rather taking a flip vs KQ here, than to "save" chips when overs hit.

Also, you lose value from a decent amount of undercard type hands like AT TT 99 88 etc which would all likely call preflop jams. And also, you lose the value of not going to showdown or getting folds preflop. every play has pros and cons, so you have to look at all the angles to see which one seems like the best...

calling and seeing a flop--
pros- saving chips when overs hit as we range him to high cards
cons- losing value from weaker hands which would call all ins, going to showdown more often, letting villian outplay and bluff us on flops with weaker holding we crush. harder to double up our stack and get a high finish. still get our stack in vs monsters like QQ+ on good boards

shoving-
pros- winning pot uncontested. getting calls from weaker hands, some of which we crush as 80/20s. not going to showdown as often. double up more often and more chance at a deep finish
cons- bust out more often, coinflip more often, getting folds from some hands which might have hit a second best hand on the flop, like AT on a T82 board (happens infrequently)

feel free to add more, but i like to look at it like this instead of delving into the math of why 3-bet shoving or calling to a flop can be good.

^^ this is all really rushed, so if something doesn't make sense or is wrong, let me know......

Last edited: