Who should win the Cy Young Award in the AL?

Who should win the Cy Young Award in the AL?

• Felix Hernandez: 12-12, 2.31 ERA, 1.06 WHIP

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • David Price: 18-6, 2.84 ERA, 1.22 WHIP

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • CC Sabathia: 20-7, 3.26 ERA, 1.21 WHIP

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
Charzr

Charzr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here are the top 3 candidates:

Felix Hernandez: 12-12, 2.31 ERA, 1.06 WHIP
David Price: 18-6, 2.84 ERA, 1.22 WHIP
CC Sabathia: 20-7, 3.26 ERA, 1.21 WHIP

*WHIP: walks plus hits per inning pitched.

Don't forget to vote and comment.

Last edited:
vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Clay%20Buchholz%202.jpg

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Felix deserves it most out of those three, but I don't think any of these guys were the best pitcher in the AL this year (and it's not the guy in the above picture either)...

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
are u serious scrub, clay buchholz is the greatest baseball player alive whats wrong with u

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I'm also an O's fan so the sting is still there from when he no-hit us a couple of years ago :(

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gone with Price on this one :top:

ckingriches

ckingriches

Lucky Multiple League MVP
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gotta go with Price as well. Not particularly close either, in my opinion. Sorry, but you don't deserve the Cy Young if your record is only .500. And winning about 20 games for the Yankees' All-Star-at-every-position lineup is pretty much a no brainer.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gotta go with Price as well. Not particularly close either, in my opinion. Sorry, but you don't deserve the Cy Young if your record is only .500. And winning about 20 games for the Yankees' All-Star-at-every-position lineup is pretty much a no brainer.

My reasons as well, just didn't feel like writing them out, at that moment lol :D

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But that's really not fair, his record has nothing to do with how well he pitched. If you put Felix on the Yankees does he have that same record? Not a chance.

Hernandez has been worth 6.1 WAR according to Fangraphs, CC is only 4.6 WAR, Price only 4.0 WAR. His K/9 is higher, his BB/9 is lower, WHIP is better, FIP is better, xFIP is better... He is far more valuable than either of them.

(according to their stats though Francisco Liriano has been the best pitcher in the AL this year)

Last edited:
jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hernandez fits the bill as most outstanding pitcher in the AL. Winning games without run support should be taken into account.

Charzr

Charzr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everybody knows I'm a Yankee Fan and that I'm rooting for CC to win the award, but if they are not gonna give it to CC because of the "All-Star-at-every-position lineup" I think the obvious choice should be Price.

I know King Felix has a beautiful ERA, but I just can't accept the idea of only 12 wins in the worst division in the AL where only one team is competing [Rangers]. You cannot live with the "If". He doesn't pitch in the AL EAST, You don't know how will he react pitching in the AL EAST where every line up is way stronger than everywhere else.

- Steve Carlton won 27 games for the last-place 1972 Phillies (59-97). 27 GAMES... so why can't "King Felix" win 17 (10 less than Carlton) with a 58-95 team that has Ichiro(+200 Hits), Chone Figgins, Franklin Gutierrez and Jose Lopez?? [All of them with +300 SLG. and +600 OPS.]

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
.600 OPS is awful... Also, Steve Carlton started more games than Felix that season, and his BABIP was slightly lower.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Felix deserves it most out of those three, but I don't think any of these guys were the best pitcher in the AL this year (and it's not the guy in the above picture either)...

Who then?

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Who then?

But that's really not fair, his record has nothing to do with how well he pitched. If you put Felix on the Yankees does he have that same record? Not a chance.

Hernandez has been worth 6.1 WAR according to Fangraphs, CC is only 4.6 WAR, Price only 4.0 WAR. His K/9 is higher, his BB/9 is lower, WHIP is better, FIP is better, xFIP is better... He is far more valuable than either of them.

(according to their stats though Francisco Liriano has been the best pitcher in the AL this year)

^^

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Liriano had some pretty bad luck this year compared to the others, as evidenced by his .342 BABIP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batting_average_on_balls_in_play), league average is about .300. So basically, he was the victim of a lot of cheap hits this year, so that's gonna make his ERA and WHIP higher than it ought to be. To get a better look at what we could expect void of luck and fielding, we can look at FIP (Fielding Independent Pitching) and xFIP (expected Fielding Independent Pitching), both of which Liriano is the leader in the AL.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm, well a ball in play isn't completely equal/random. One pitcher could be leaving the ball over the plate and allowing solid contact often while another is inducing a lot of weak ground balls etc. Will have to research these other stats before commenting further though...

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is very true. BABIP isn't the end-all be-all for determining luck for a pitcher. Very good point.

Charzr

Charzr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 1 Wild Pitch more than his 13 wins The 2010 AL Cy Young is Felix Hernandez!!!

Last edited:
lexnat

lexnat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i got to like fernandez if he had any run support he would easily be a 20 game winner

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the mariners gave him 14 total runs in those 12 losses combined, that just shows how bad his team was...He's the best pitcher of the three for sure

Charzr

Charzr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think writers voted for a cooler nickname, and against the fat Yankee.
If they were not going to give it to CC I was All-in for David Price, Logic and the ballot just don't match up.

What about Clay Bucholz? His era was .006 higher, 4 more wins--??

"Pitchers ARE paid to get wins. You just pitch one run lower than your opponent." Hernandez couldn't control his Team offense, neither CC.
Sabathia's win total and run support worked against him-- What??? Give me a break....why should he worry about leading the league in ERA? All he had to do was WIN.

Next year let's eliminate the win–loss from the game and let's just play for fun.
ohhh you see....there's nothing fun in that.... you play to WIN the game.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if hernandez pitched for the yankees, he would of been undefeated...fatbathia is just lucky to have the best offense behind him so when he gives up 6 runs to the red sox, they bail him out with 7 runs and he gets a win

thebigdawg

thebigdawg

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Feliex for sure, Win-Loss record is the most overrated stat in baseball. He gets no run support. He played for a good team then ESPN/Baseball tonight would be all over him.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think writers voted for a cooler nickname, and against the fat Yankee.
If they were not going to give it to CC I was All-in for David Price, Logic and the ballot just don't match up.

What about Clay Bucholz? His era was .006 higher, 4 more wins--??

"Pitchers ARE paid to get wins. You just pitch one run lower than your opponent." Hernandez couldn't control his Team offense, neither CC.
Sabathia's win total and run support worked against him-- What??? Give me a break....why should he worry about leading the league in ERA? All he had to do was WIN.

Next year let's eliminate the win–loss from the game and let's just play for fun.
ohhh you see....there's nothing fun in that.... you play to WIN the game.

uhh, what?

ckingriches

ckingriches

Lucky Multiple League MVP
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
L 0-1
L 4-7
L 1-9
L 0-6
L 0-4
L 1-6
L 2-3
L 1-7
L 1-8
L 0-8
L 3-6
L 1-3

These were the scores of the games Hernandez lost. Only a single 1-0 game in the bunch. Sure, the Mariners didn't get a lick of run support in those games, but they also gave up 5.67 runs per game in the losses. Felix himself gave up 53 of the 68 runs scored against them, although 15 were unearned. Still, his ERA in the 12 losses was 4.64, not exactly Hall of Fame numbers if taken on their own.

I've seen hard luck pitchers lose a bunch of 1-0 and 2-1 games before. This just doesn't stack up with them. Sorry, but I just don't think he deserved the Cy Young award at the expense of more successful pitchers this year.