Well the Panthers just bought themselves a Cam Newton

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's a physical freak but we won't know if he'll make even a decent NFL QB for a couple years. Big risk / reward pick. I'm sure they'd have loved to be able to trade down and let someone else deal with the choice. Not sure which would be better, to be the team who passed on Newton if he becomes a star or the team that took him if he's a bust?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's a physical freak but we won't know if he'll make even a decent NFL QB for a couple years. Big risk / reward pick. I'm sure they'd have loved to be able to trade down and let someone else deal with the choice. Not sure which would be better, to be the team who passed on Newton if he becomes a star or the team that took him if he's a bust?
No one would trade into the #1 spot this year. There wasn't really a consensus #1 pick. John Clayton reported an hour to go before the draft that Carolina hasn't had a call about the #1 pick yet, and they just wouldn't get one.

I'm just glad they didn't pick AJ Green. He's a poor bet to transfer to the pros statistically, and WR's rarely hit in the first round.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh yeah, no one wanted to pick 1st this year after Luck decided to stay in school. I think Newton could turn out to be a star but going with Peterson or Dareus would have been a safer pick. Can't kill them for taking Newton though. He certainly has all the physical attributes, just a question about how well he'll be able to run a NFL offense.

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the fact that auburn's offense was simplistic makes it hard to decipher whether or not he will make it. sort of like tim tebow but better arm and quicker. tim tebow and michael vick combined

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the fact that auburn's offense was simplistic makes it hard to decipher whether or not he will make it. sort of like tim tebow but better arm and quicker. tim tebow and michael vick combined
From the last year they played in college:

Vick:
Cmp % - 54%
YPA - 7.7
Att/Sck - Not tracked
Yds/Rsh - 5.93

Tebow:

Cmp % - 68%
YPA - 9.22
Att/Sck - 10.8
Yds/Rsh - 4.19

Newton:
Cmp % - 66%
YPA - 10.19
Att/Sck - 12.1
Yds/Rsh - 5.58

Andrew Luck:
Cmp % - 71%
YPA - 8.97
Att/Sck - 62

He's a better passer than Tebow or especially Vick, and he's not that much worse a passer than Andrew Luck. And his running numbers aren't far behind Vick's either.

The upside is crazy... I'm just worried about his work ethic. Anyone who gets caught for cheating on tests multiple times in school doesn't strike me as a hard worker.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From the last year they played in college:

Vick:
Cmp % - 54%
YPA - 7.7
Att/Sck - Not tracked
Yds/Rsh - 5.93

Tebow:

Cmp % - 68%
YPA - 9.22
Att/Sck - 10.8
Yds/Rsh - 4.19

Newton:
Cmp % - 66%
YPA - 10.19
Att/Sck - 12.1
Yds/Rsh - 5.58

Andrew Luck:
Cmp % - 71%
YPA - 8.97
Att/Sck - 62

He's a better passer than Tebow or especially Vick, and he's not that much worse a passer than Andrew Luck. And his running numbers aren't far behind Vick's either.

The upside is crazy... I'm just worried about his work ethic. Anyone who gets caught for cheating on tests multiple times in school doesn't strike me as a hard worker.

Passing attempts for Newton

Passing attempts for Tebow (senior season):

Passing attempts of Luck:

Passing attempts for Vick (final season):

He's likely a better passer than Vick was in college but that's not saying much since Vick sucked as a passer until after prison. Tebow was in an offense that let him complete a lot of short passes so Newton is probably a better passer than him as well and he's miles ahead as an athlete. But saying Newton isn't that far behind Luck as a passer is ridiculous.

Charzr

Charzr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think he is going no be an elite QB, he gonna have to work hard just to be an above average QB, my prediction: something between Matt Leinart and Jamarcus Russell... Way to go Panthers!!

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now that's a sucky prediction

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Panthers got their man. They believed in him, and must have thought that if they traded down the Bills would have drafted him at #3.

I think the Giants had a great draft, I hope the lockout doesn't get in the way of watching the new players.

Charzr

Charzr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now that's a sucky prediction

Only time will tell my friend!! But I can tell you one thing, after I look up this thread 3-4 years into the future just to write "TOLD YA" you will know that I was right!!! Expect my :call: :shakehand

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only time will tell my friend!! But I can tell you one thing, after I look up this thread 3-4 years into the future just to write "TOLD YA" you will know that I was right!!! Expect my :call: :shakehand

Probably won't be here in 3years ;)

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Panthers got their man. They believed in him, and must have thought that if they traded down the Bills would have drafted him at #3.

I think the Giants had a great draft, I hope the lockout doesn't get in the way of watching the new players.
In a year where a lot of teams reached for QB's, the Panthers got the one with the highest potential, and we didn't have to trade up to get him. I'm happy with how it worked out.

The Giants draft was okay I suppose, drafting the best player available. Still seems odd that they couldn't find O-Line help earlier in the draft.

I was most impressed with the Browns draft. Trading out of #6 seemed like a no-brainer, and with the picks they did have, they seemed to get the best combination of players that were the best available while still filling their needs.

B

bigpick76

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
imo blaine gabbert is a much more nfl ready qb