Revis Deal Not Going Well

ythelongface

ythelongface

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have to comment on this....Clearly, being a Bengals fan I hate the Jets, but how selfish is Darelle Revis to hold out until the Jets tear up his contract that has 3 years left on it.. He is scheduled to make one million under the current deal but he wants to be the highest paid cornerback in pro football and be paid fifteen million. To this point, he has refused to negotiate this and has indicated he will sit out the entire season if need be. Nice! Your team has a realistic shot at the Super Bowl WITH you on the team, but you have chosen to put your ego ahead of the team. Well played sir...well played. Yes, he isnt the only player to ever do this, but as I said, its selfish, and more than that, its ignorant as you would think he would want to win a Super Bowl, but apparently all he cares about is his own wallet.

MDTed

MDTed

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What the owners should do in these situations is just allow the player to sit out the entire year. They don't have to pay him and he's risking injury and no career at all afterwards.

When you sign a contract you're risking future compensation against guaranteed current money, if you think you're going to continually get better year after year, then just sign 1 year deals otherwise shut up and play.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow I understand your perspectives guys, but football is also the only sport where contracts are not guaranteed and they can be cut at any time. Also if you're not in the first 10 picks of the first round, your guaranteed money is very low compared to 1st rounders in the NBA while you are under control for even longer.

Leon Washington probably played a big factor in Revis' decision this year. He was in position for a big bonus and payday, but the Jets wouldn't negotiate with 3 years left, and he got a career threatening injury and now he'll probably never get a chance to see anywhere close to that money.

I'm sure he's probably being more greedy than he needs to, but the fact is the Jets put themselves in this position by claiming how crucial Revis was to them and how he was due for a big raise. That defense is good and not great without Revis, they cannot afford to let him sit out for an extended time.

L

lobsterbud12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The owner said he had a gut feeling that Revis wouldnt play this season. I disagree and say he steps on the field, even if its week 5ish or so

M

Mr Whatever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
looks like the jets are in big big trouble. lolol

only the mets and jets managment and ownership could mess things up so badly. lololololololol

bredstik

bredstik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Jets already tear up his contract and give him more money once before? Now he wants them to do it again? Right before the collective bargaining agreement ends, and not knowing what the system is even going to look like next year? I dunno - I think maybe Revis didn't play this very well...

ckingriches

ckingriches

Lucky Multiple League MVP
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Three of the best players in the league, Andre Johnson, Chris Johnson, and Darelle Revis, all decided that being at or near the top of their respective positions should be worth being paid top dollar, despite existing contracts. While players' careers are relatively short, it's hard to feel sorry for someone who makes so much money compared to the rest of us, even if I do see their point.

However, you need to give at least a little bit, and if Revis thinks he can get the Jets to cave to his demands, he and his agent are clearly underestimating the egos on the other side of the table. He may be the best at his position, but there are a lot of other capable defenders on that team. It's a top five defense even without him - greed seems to have clouded his judgment.

S

Shizzle102

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want more money dont sign a contract. The Jets are in a terrible situation. I think they should trade him now while his stock is still high. They can and will continue without him.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Last edited:
U

umpinpa22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
revis

if jets don't sign him their blitz package takes a big step backwards! he deserves more money but then every player usually wants to renegotiate after a superb season go pack! :D

Charzr

Charzr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the Jets should throw him all the money he deserves and stop whining. This things should stop and the only way out of those hold out is guaranteeing the contracts....and by the way...the league needs a salary cap in those rookies out of college making more money than Peyton and Tom Brady... IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!!!

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
....and by the way...the league needs a salary cap in those rookies out of college making more money than Peyton and Tom Brady... IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!!!

yea hopefully that happens soon. it's crazy when some rookies start out being the highest paid at their position without a snap in the nfl.

P

PasoTex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This guy is under contract for a good while longer. He doesn't have a lot of leverage. Let's see who blinks first.

A

AntiKhrist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They really just need to pay the man his money! He's earned it! :)

SlySwagga

SlySwagga

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
w/o revis their D falls off hard. cant blame him for sitting out. whats right is right.

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He agreed to this contract. He should play and earn what he signed for. With a lockout looming next year, no telling what will happen.

M

mig2169

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my god guys, come on the NFL is a diffrent beast than the other sports, these guys are one play from not playing ever again, not to mention walking. you have to get ur money when u can, that is the bottom line for all players in the NFL. There is nothig wrong with revis looking after his family and future. He is worth the money and hewill get paid or the jets have no chance at a superbowl, maybe not even a playoff berth if he doesn't play.

M

Mr Whatever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
itll all be settled in a few weeks 1 way or the other.

hell play, just a matter of how much.

Charzr

Charzr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without Revis, the Jets won't win more than 8-9 games - You can take that to the Bank!!

P

PasoTex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope Revis holds out the entire year. His absence will weaken the Jets' defense.

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What the owners should do in these situations is just allow the player to sit out the entire year. They don't have to pay him and he's risking injury and no career at all afterwards.

When you sign a contract you're risking future compensation against guaranteed current money, if you think you're going to continually get better year after year, then just sign 1 year deals otherwise shut up and play.

Good point. Admit you made a mistake and suck it up. Never agree to more than 2 or 3 years. You signed the contract, that is your word.

I think the Jets should throw him all the money he deserves and stop whining. This things should stop and the only way out of those hold out is guaranteeing the contracts....and by the way...the league needs a salary cap in those rookies out of college making more money than Peyton and Tom Brady... IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!!!

Disagree with the 1st line. Agree with the boldened.

Bottom line, there should be some sort of compromise. Sorry bud, you're not gonna be the highest paid, but give Revis a raise in good faith. Add an extra million or 2 a year. Unless there is something I don't understand about NFL contracts, and I suspect that is true, the Jets should not be forced to pay him more. Nor should Revis expect to 1) collect a salary, nor 2) sign with another team until his contract is up. I realize the Jets would have to keep him on the roster, and therein lies the rub. Yes?

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NFL is the only sport where contracts aren't guaranteed. Their life can end with the next snap. I can understand why Revis is holding out.