Ramadan means no water during workouts for Husain Abdullah

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But I definitely respect him, I can't question the commitment he has to his faith.

Why would commitment to a faith deserve any kind of respect? :confused:

If my faith tells me I should kill babies and even though I find it a horrific thing to do, I do kill babies when I get the chance because I'm committed to my faith, does that commitment deserve respect?

When something is stupid, the fact that it follows a prescription from a faith does not make it any less stupid or any more respect worthy.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^I was going to say something along those lines but couln't word it without seeming offensive, so left the thread and said nothing.
That is perfectly worded.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would commitment to a faith deserve any kind of respect? :confused:

If my faith tells me I should kill babies and even though I find it a horrific thing to do, I do kill babies when I get the chance because I'm committed to my faith, does that commitment deserve respect?

When something is stupid, the fact that it follows a prescription from a faith does not make it any less stupid or any more respect worthy.

Good point, but that isn't the case in this scenario.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good point, but that isn't the case in this scenario.
I am pretty sure that practicing for hours in the summer heat and sun without any drink what-so-ever can be classified as stupid.
But that is jmo.

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
^^^I was going to say something along those lines but couln't word it without seeming offensive, so left the thread and said nothing.
That is perfectly worded.

Me too. Agree w/jho that this is not on the same scale morally speaking. Respect a person for being true to their convictions, regardless of what they are. But disrespect them if their convictions are what you consider wrong or immoral (or just stupid :p ).

I am pretty sure that practicing for hours in the summer heat and sun without any drink what-so-ever can be classified as stupid.
But that is jmo.

Not only that, but last year, his poor performance in early season was noticeable.

"Last year it occurred in early September, and we saw a dip in his performance," coach Brad Childress said. "We said, 'What's wrong with Husain Abdullah? It doesn't seem like he has enough spunk."

I'll be kind of surprised if teams don't start looking into backgrounds like this, if they haven't already. They are hurting the team by poor performance at best, and at worst, time off in the hospital.