What would you do?

• Total voters
L

liamkg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As we saw today Indianapolis the last undefeated NFL team 14-0 lost for the 1st time. The key factor was Head Coach Jim Caldwell decision to rest Peyton Manning mid game, while we'll have to wait to see if it was a good decision my question is what would you do?

thesoxwin

thesoxwin

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
resting

As we saw today Indianapolis the last undefeated NFL team 14-0 lost for the 1st time. The key factor was Head Coach Jim Caldwell decision to rest Peyton Manning mid game, while we'll have to wait to see if it was a good decision my question is what would you do?

I hope this blows up in their face. I hope they get pounded in the playoffs. This is the worst kind of sportsmanship you'll ever see in sports. They not only had a chance to go undefeated , but they also gave hope to the lowly JeSts, who should not have a chance for the playoffs.{they suck} The league should suspend, but they won't.{Competition clause} He not only rested Peyton , he rested most of his starters. There , now I feel better!

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A perfect regular season doesn't mean aything if you can't win the Super Bowl. The game was meanlingless to the Colts. What if Peyton went down in the 4th quarter? They would have been screwed. I don't have a problem with that call (as much as I hate the Colts AND Jets).

Swear Engine

Swear Engine

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A perfect regular season doesn't mean aything if you can't win the Super Bowl. The game was meanlingless to the Colts. What if Peyton went down in the 4th quarter? They would have been screwed. I don't have a problem with that call (as much as I hate the Colts AND Jets).

Hardly seems fair on the teams the Colts beat earlier in the season with a full-strength team to pull your starters and go easy on the Jets. I hope it backfires on them too.

Maid Marian

Maid Marian

RIP Baby BooBoo
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really did aggravate me when Coach Caldwell rested his key players just because they clinched their division for the playoffs. I really did want them to go 16-0. I could tell that Peyton Manning did not like the outcome, although I doubt he will say a word. They were ahead while he played & lost without him.

Do I still love the Colts? Oh yes...they are without a doubt my favorite team, regardless of the idiotic decision to rest key starters for the playoffs! Do I still think they will be in the Superbowl? Of course I do! And I still believe they will win too!:D

GO INDY!!!!

Velutha

Velutha

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I was a player I would definitely want the undefeated season. It's such a rare team that is capable of something like this.....It's truly memorable. Sure it doesn't carry the same weight as winning the Super Bowl and you're risking injury but someone wins the Super Bowl every year. Take a shot at going undefeated and going down in history!

brianvoytek

brianvoytek

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Taking Payton out of the game

I think all of the Jets Fans out there should send thank you cards to the Colts Coaching Staff. Pretty stupid to take Manning out. Why not go for history? Perfect season is something many teams have wanted to do for years. Worrying about injury is pointless when you have something this important on the line.

Now the Jets are in the playoff spot because of this horrible coaching call.

PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why make a new thread AGAIN? Cant this be brought up in one of the football threads already in the lounge?

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree OP. But the colts have always done it this way. Maybe they'll wake up when they get knocked out after the bye again.

brianvoytek

brianvoytek

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree OP. But the colts have always done it this way. Maybe they'll wake up when they get knocked out after the bye again.

I hope they do. Dumb choice by the coach IMO. They shouldve went for the perfect year. If youre going to take Manning out, atleast have a bigger lead. Then it wont matter, but to give a team like the Jets basically a free win and put them in the playoffs is a joke.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because this is a seperate subject. I'm not going to weed through everything just to see If people are already talking about this. This is a new thread about something that happened yesterday.

If I want to make a new thread AGAIN I will, thats my right...as long as I'm not repeating anything thats already been done before.

Thanks for paying attention though. :)

LOL after merge.

Felt like trambling on some rights, so I deleted some posts. Take it to pm or post on subject.

(but yes, check before starting a new thread. This one was right near the top of the page.)

/derail.

Last edited:
lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I wish they had announced their plan before the game! Hard to set a gambling line if you don't know who's playing.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, dumb dumb dumb move. Undefeated season would've rocked!

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I look at it differently. A lot of working class folks and season ticket holders worked hard for the $ to pay for those seats, the Colts organization OWES it to those fans to give 100% effort whenever they take the field. Whether they are 0-14 or 14-0, that's irrelevant. I think those players are obligated to give the fans a honest effort.

C

Cdub512

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pulling peyton was smart, but i still don't like the move. if you have a chance to go 16-0, do it. But, if peyton got hurt, caldwell would get so much crap for leaving him in. In the end, I would want to go 16-0, but being healthy for the stretch run and winning a super bowl would be better.

ihtennis

ihtennis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just think, would you rather be known as the best team for a season, or the best that ever played the game. Bad decision by Caldwell. The chances that a key player would get hurt on the team is very low anyway

Steves22

Steves22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just think, would you rather be known as the best team for a season, or the best that ever played the game. Bad decision by Caldwell. The chances that a key player would get hurt on the team is very low anyway

The 72' Dolphins do own a unique piece of history that has been sought after by teams for years but in the end it's all about the championship. That's whats gonna secure your job as a coach and player, winning. Of course winning all your games is spectacular but the championship is more important. Good decision I say any freak accident could have happened.

G

Gr3atness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They should have played to win the game. Peyton Manning has never ever been injured as a pro. He's like a mini Brett Favre with his massive games started streak. Also he rarely gets sacked because his offensive line is great. And its not like they rested him the whole game, it was only like a quarter and a half, so by that time whats the point?

thesoxwin

thesoxwin

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was just announced that the NFL will be looking at this issue next year. My point about the whole thing is, why would anyone pay the huge prices they get to go watch a bunch of scrubs. The problem is most of these tickets are sold months in advance, and people pay big money. What would the NFL do if all the tickets for the last three games of the season, for playoff clinchers, went unsold? Once people wise up to this game of laying down for the final few games, that may happen.
Every team does it and their excuse is , is that they have "earned the right" to play who they want in the final few games.....Bulls..t. They owe their fans a fair and competitive game.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe I'm off base here, but let me put why this was a dumb move into a poker analogy:

You are at the final table of a 9 man sng. 4 players left, you are the chip leader. The short stack shoves all in from utg. The 2nd chip lead is utg+1 and he also moves all in preflop. You are in the sb with AA. The sng pays to 3 spots. The bb is left to act. Do you wait for those two to battle it out and play it safe or do you go for it and make the call with 2 opponents knowing the ss could double up and in the process the 2nd chip lead could hit his hand and knock you down to being the short stack and there is still the possibility (albeit small) that another player may also jump in here?

Me, I'm making the call because I'm going for first.

Charzr

Charzr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No brainer.....you got Peyton Manning as your QB.....YOU GOTTA GO WITH PERFECTION (NOT EVERY TEAM THAT GOES PERFECT IN THE REGULAR SEASON GOES TO LOSE IN THE SUPERBOWL AKA. PATS, LOL)