NFL Football Season 2012-2013

thesoxwin

thesoxwin

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
False hope.

I seriously think the NFL wants and needs this done, by this weekend. They are licking their wounds, but the average fans won't put up with it much longer. It's not so much someone getting hurt, the brand is suffering and the product is poor right now. Sure the regular referees make mistakes, but they know the rules...all of them , and know how to apply them in situations...the replacements don't even know basic rules of the NFL game.

I feel bad for them as they were thrown under the bus by the NFL., The owners now realize this and this will end either by this weekend or next for sure. My money is on this weekend.

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I seriously think the NFL wants and needs this done, by this weekend. They are licking their wounds, but the average fans won't put up with it much longer. It's not so much someone getting hurt, the brand is suffering and the product is poor right now. Sure the regular referees make mistakes, but they know the rules...all of them , and know how to apply them in situations...the replacements don't even know basic rules of the NFL game.

I feel bad for them as they were thrown under the bus by the NFL., The owners now realize this and this will end either by this weekend or next for sure. My money is on this weekend.

"The Average Fan" can't do anything but not go to the game or watch it on TV - the problem here is that the revenue stream to the owners will continue regardless of the officiating crews. People can scream and bitch all they want, but they still go to the games and they still watch the TV.

I *wish* the owners would have gotten the message after week 1, but they didn't. They really have the striking refs by the short hairs and there is nothing really forcing the owners (other than the "image" problem) to settle the dispute.

My money is on the over (2 weeks). Once the "developmental program" details get hammered out - it then finally becomes a numbers game with the pensions. What is funny is that this pension gambit that they are doing is the same that nearly every Fortune 500 company has done to their full-time employees without negotiation. My pension was frozen over 4 years ago... then under-funded.

There's some stupidity about logistics for approving the deal - but that can be worked out.

thesoxwin

thesoxwin

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I mean by the "'average fan", and this is strictly my opinion, is the one who pays to go to the games. Not the ones who get free tickets, not the "office" guys who goes once a year and sit at the 50 yard line, because their company has season tickets. The guy who spends his hard earned buck to go to the games. If this continues for another week, and the games are called as bad as they have been, the average guy won't go, or {and} will lose interest. The NFL can't survive with-out their average fan, and they know it.

Don't kid yourself, Goodell and the owners are all about themselves and the legacy they leave behind. Goodell will take the fall for what the owners have done here, as well he should, for not pushing the subject, and getting a deal done. The season is a farce so far, almost to the point of where they should play the games over...lol, I think the owners are getting sick of it, also. There is a lot of cash at stake here. We will see the "Miracle in Seattle" play for the rest of our lives, it puts a stain on their legacy.

Deal done by Thursday Night Game {I don't think they'll ref it, but they may be on hand}.... you heard it here first!!

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Even if they do make a deal by Thursday, it will take at least another week before we see the refs back. They have to catch up on training, fitted for uniforms, etc. It's not like when they finally do make a deal that they'll be ready to go the next day. That's what is so irritating about this whole thing. A multi-billion dollar business, and they couldn't have hashed this out before the the season starts? Ridiculous.

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
About the Refs,, I heard on the news last night that all that's holding everything up is a three million dollar difference in what the refs want. If this is true, to the owners it's a drop in the bucket. Oops showed my age with with that cliché. Somebody is going to get hurt without the penalties for late hits and etc.

Yeah I find it kind of funny that they can pay the players absurd amounts of money but can't come up with a little extra to spread among the refs.

thesoxwin

thesoxwin

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even if they do make a deal by Thursday, it will take at least another week before we see the refs back. They have to catch up on training, fitted for uniforms, etc. It's not like when they finally do make a deal that they'll be ready to go the next day. That's what is so irritating about this whole thing. A multi-billion dollar business, and they couldn't have hashed this out before the the season starts? Ridiculous.

This from ESPN.com { http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8427652/locked-nfl-referees-return-early-week-sources }

"Although league sources said it would take a week to get the locked-out officials on the field, the NFLRA says its 121 referees have been trained on the new rules implemented last season, have already passed physicals or are prepared to pass physicals immediately. New official game uniforms designed by Nike are "hardly an obstacle," according to a source."

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
GGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOO RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAIDERS

San Diego this week. Always a great game. Wish Bill King was still here.

-

Coffee

Coffee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This from ESPN.com { http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8427652/locked-nfl-referees-return-early-week-sources }

"Although league sources said it would take a week to get the locked-out officials on the field, the NFLRA says its 121 referees have been trained on the new rules implemented last season, have already passed physicals or are prepared to pass physicals immediately. New official game uniforms designed by Nike are "hardly an obstacle," according to a source."

Hopefully it goes thru fast.

That Packers Seahawks indecent was not flattering for the NFL. Having professional referees is key for high level sport today.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Funny thing is, I don't give a crap about the refs, and I don't think they should have the ability to think they can run the NFL by going on strike. Just like the teachers in Chicago, a bunch of whiny ass crybabies that feel the need to strong-arm and hurt others to try to get their way instead of earning it.

The three biggest arguments they are on strike for are:
Money
NFL Refs(pre-strike) make an average of about $150k/year! And this is just essentially a hobby, many also hold full time jobs that earn over 6 figures. They argue that many other sports officials are paid higher, but when you look at the time invested, an NFL ref could officiate MAX 25 games in a season(if they worked all 4 preseason games, all 17 weeks of regular season and worked all of the postseason games) which is damn near unheard of. Many other sports, baseball for example, has MANY more obligations to fulfill because there are 10x+ the amount of games that each team has, therefore they should be paid more as they are working more.

Pension
Pensions are dying out left and right, and for good reason, people are living longer and it isn't fair to those left in a company to pay out on retired employees for 35 years past retirement when it was assumed when the pension was written up that they would only be paying out for 15-20 years. They are making enough money for this side-job that they can be big boys and invest it themselves and be more than well off during their retirement.

Job Security
My biggest pet peeve with unions...If you are doing your job poorly, you should no longer have a job. I don't care if you have 30 years experience, bad performance = bad employee = gotta go. They want essentially a tenure so that they will have something to fall back on if they have bad performance. They don't want the young bucks to come in and take over their jobs when they can't keep up. Ref'ing can wear someone down, I've done it numerous times before and depending on your assignment, you may be running most of the game. You can see it, many of these guys are old, and they will need to be replaced when they can't keep up.

As far as the call on Monday. Yes, it was bad, but nowhere near the worst call in history, far from it. Just go on Google and search for Worst NFL Blown Calls and make sure to filter the dates as to not include anything after last Monday(otherwise you'll be going through page after page of Pack-v-Seahawks), you will find some terrible calls, made by none other than the full time refs. Had this happened when the regular refs were in it would have just gotten added to the list, but because it was replacements, it turned into a shitstorm.(Here's one list:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/420700-10-of-worst-officiating-calls-in-nfl-history)

W

waz666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Funny thing is, I don't give a crap about the refs, and I don't think they should have the ability to think they can run the NFL by going on strike. Just like the teachers in Chicago, a bunch of whiny ass crybabies that feel the need to strong-arm and hurt others to try to get their way instead of earning it.

Money
NFL Refs(pre-strike) make an average of about $150k/year! And this is just essentially a hobby, many also hold full time jobs that earn over 6 figures. They argue that many other sports officials are paid higher, but when you look at the time invested, an NFL ref could officiate MAX 25 games in a season(if they worked all 4 preseason games, all 17 weeks of regular season and worked all of the postseason games) which is damn near unheard of. Many other sports, baseball for example, has MANY more obligations to fulfill because there are 10x+ the amount of games that each team has, therefore they should be paid more as they are working more.

Pension
Pensions are dying out left and right, and for good reason, people are living longer and it isn't fair to those left in a company to pay out on retired employees for 35 years past retirement when it was assumed when the pension was written up that they would only be paying out for 15-20 years. They are making enough money for this side-job that they can be big boys and invest it themselves and be more than well off during their retirement.

Job Security
My biggest pet peeve with unions...If you are doing your job poorly, you should no longer have a job. I don't care if you have 30 years experience, bad performance = bad employee = gotta go. They want essentially a tenure so that they will have something to fall back on if they have bad performance. They don't want the young bucks to come in and take over their jobs when they can't keep up. Ref'ing can wear someone down, I've done it numerous times before and depending on your assignment, you may be running most of the game. You can see it, many of these guys are old, and they will need to be replaced when they can't keep up.

As far as the call on Monday. Yes, it was bad, but nowhere near the worst call in history, far from it. Just go on Google and search for Worst NFL Blown Calls and make sure to filter the dates as to not include anything after last Monday(otherwise you'll be going through page after page of Pack-v-Seahawks), you will find some terrible calls, made by none other than the full time refs. Had this happened when the regular refs were in it would have just gotten added to the list, but because it was replacements, it turned into a shitstorm.(Here's one list:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/420700-10-of-worst-officiating-calls-in-nfl-history)

When you take in salaries, tv revenues, tickets sales, merchandising, gambling, fantasy etc... the NFL is closing in on a trillion dollars of annual financial impact. If the NFL met every one of the refs demands, it would cost them less than Michael Vick's contract. Your watching too much fox news! All unions are not evil, and in some cases are necessary. The two sides need to meet in the middle, sign a ten year deal and get the NFL family back together working towards making the game the best it can be!

thesoxwin

thesoxwin

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Money

Pension

Job Security

This wasn't a strike, it was a lock-out by the owners and the NFL.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This wasn't a strike, it was a lock-out by the owners and the NFL.
Correct, I used the wrong term when ranting ;)

When you take in salaries, tv revenues, tickets sales, merchandising, gambling, fantasy etc... the NFL is closing in on a trillion dollars of annual financial impact. If the NFL met every one of the refs demands, it would cost them less than Michael Vick's contract. Your watching too much fox news! All unions are not evil, and in some cases are necessary. The two sides need to meet in the middle, sign a ten year deal and get the NFL family back together working towards making the game the best it can be!

Just because someone doesn't support unions does not mean that they watch Fox News. In my opinion, very little about unions are for what their original intentions were. When they were started, they were for the health, safety and fair wages for the workers. They in no way are for any of that now, at least that is the least of their concerns. Unions are the reason that most of the jobs are being pushed out of this country, the reason that products that are American made cost more than their foreign counterparts, and the reason why the majority of American made products are crap.

I will end my rant there because it has started to get away from football, which is the original topic. If you want to further discuss, PM me or link to another thread.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
The Ravens v Patriots has to be the best game I've seen this season.Two great quarterbacks and the Ravens two touchdown heroes brother was killed in a motorbike accident the morning of the game.

With 2 seconds to go the Ravens kicker all but missed the winning 3 pointer.

High drama at it's most magnificent.

cardriverx

cardriverx

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The refs deserve all the money they make just as much as the players deserve their money.

Simple supply and demand.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Go Bills! Big game Sunday vs Patriots, then a tough road trip to San Fran and Arizona. In 3 weeks, we will really see where this team is.

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
4-0

- Falcons
- Texans
- Cardiac Cardinals (I knew the game against Philly was too good to be true)

Epic.:cool:

D

davem86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I find it kind of funny that they can pay the players absurd amounts of money but can't come up with a little extra to spread among the refs.
yeah being a packer fan that sucks lol. Crazy game today.:D

W

waz666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Falcons are the best team in the league.... gonna finish 14-2!

H

Hardcorecake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Um....not digging the raiders coach at all...think the team might be able to pull off some wins with a more seasoned coach....can't believe he didn't challenge spot of ball on first down coming right outta half... That being said Yah great to see the falcons doing well however...Ryan needs to pass it to julio jones on every down just lost to a guy in a close league game difference he had roddy and I had Julio

trucker103

trucker103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well the refs looked a little rusty lol
patriots came back to win it offense getin in snyc and well defense needs to find there game

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's really tilting me that I volunteered to work on Sundays. What was I thinking?? Football season and Sundays were always a big deal (we call it Happy Football Sunday Funday). Making a big breakfast, snacks and brews for the games...sigh... :( Ah well, at least I like my job. And we can wear jerseys to work on Sunday. But still...:( :( :(

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's really tilting me that I volunteered to work on Sundays. What was I thinking?? Football season and Sundays were always a big deal (we call it Happy Football Sunday Funday). Making a big breakfast, snacks and brews for the games...sigh... :( Ah well, at least I like my job. And we can wear jerseys to work on Sunday. But still...:( :( :(

Yep bad decision. Sunday is sacred around here - and that has nothing to do with religion lol. Whoever thought of proclaiming Sunday as a day of rest with no work had a vision - just got confused and thought it was all about religion cause football wasn't around yet. :p