Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I made Top 10 rankings for each division in the UFC. MMA and UFC fans, let me know what you think:

------------------------------

Lightweight; 155 lbs.:
1) Frankie Edgar (12-1; 7-1 in UFC)
2) BJ Penn (15-6-1; 11-5-1 in UFC)
3) Gray Maynard (9-0, 1 NC; 7-0, 1 NC in UFC)
4) Kenny Florian (13-4; 11-3 in UFC)
5) Takanori Gomi (32-6; 1-1 in UFC)
6) George Sotiropoulos (13-2; 6-0 in UFC)
7) Clay Guida (27-11; 7-5 in UFC)
8) Joe Stevenson (31-11; 7-6 in UFC)
9) Sean Sherk (32-4-1; 4-3 in UFC)
10) Tyson Griffin (14-4; 7-4 in UFC)

Notes:
UFC 118 is a big event for the lightweights. Edgar and Penn have their rematch and Maynard and Florian will duke it out to see who gets the next crack at the title. Although, Gomi has only had 2 fights in the UFC, he has a wealth of experience, and was the top lightweight in the world at one point. He fell to the hands of Kenny Florian in his UFC debut, but came back to KO Tyson Griffin. Clay Guida and Joe Stevenson are both what I would call, "Gatekeepers".. those who are great fighters, but not quite good enough to get that title shot. Sean Sherk and Tyson Griffin are on their way out of my Top 10. Sherk hasn't fought in over a year, and Griffin is on an 0-2 run.

Fighters to Watch:
Ross Pearson (11-3; 3-0 in UFC), the winner of The Ultimate Fighter 9 has been showing that he's not just a reality tv champion. He's making waves and putting on impressive showings in his 3-0 run in the UFC. I think he's ready to take a step up in competition.. maybe against Gleason Tibeau or Spencer Fisher, to show us that he really belongs in the UFC.

Keep an eye on Evan Dunham (11-0; 4-0 in UFC)! He's always learning, and even has a win over Tyson Griffin (Griffin's on his way out of my Top 10, but I have in there still because of his experience over Dunham). Another win will throw Dunham into my top 10. He has a possibility to make a name for himself in the UFC.

Welterweight; 170 lbs.
:
1) Georges St. Pierre (20-2; 14-2 in UFC)
2) Jon Fitch (23-3; 13-1 in UFC)
3) Dan Hardy (23-7; 4-1 in UFC)
4) Thiago Alves (16-7; 9-4 in UFC)
5) Matt Hughes (45-7; 18-5 in UFC)
6) Martin Kampmann (17-3; 8-2 in UFC)
7) Paulo Thiago (13-2; 3-2 in UFC)
8) Josh Koscheck (15-4; 13-4 in UFC)
9) Carlos Condit (25-5; 2-1 in UFC)
10) Dong Hyun Kim (13-0-1, 1 NC; 4-0, 1 NC in UFC)

Notes:
Josh Koscheck lost against Georges St. Pierre in 2007 for the title, but he has been trying to crawl back to get another chance. Losses from Thiago Alves and Paulo Thiago just about knocked him down a few pegs, but he will get his chance at redemption later in the year when he fights GSP for the title again. Jon Fitch has an outstanding record in the UFC.. but he doesn't look extremely impressive or entertaining in his wins. He hasn't finished anyone in 3 years. He is suppose to be in line soon for another shot at the title.

Fighters to Watch
:
Johny Hendricks (9-0; 4-0 in UFC) is making an impressive run, it's time to step him up to tougher competition. A fight against Anthony Johnson would be the perfect test.

After losing his UFC debut to Carlos Condit, Jake Ellenberger (25-5; 2-1 in UFC) is now on a 2-0 win streak, showing that he has the stamina, nice heavy hands, and is improving as well.

John Hathaway (14-0; 3-0 in UFC) had an impressive decision victory over Diego Sanchez at UFC 114 in May. Hathaway is always improving. A fight against Carlos Condit would be a great test for both of them.

Middleweight; 185 lbs.:
1) Anderson Silva (27-4; 12-0 in UFC)
2) Chael Sonnen (25-11-1; 4-4 in UFC)
3) Nate Marquardt (29-9-2; 8-3 in UFC)
4) Demian Maia (12-2; 6-2 in UFC)
5) Yushin Okami (25-5; 9-2 in UFC)
6) Michael Bisping (19-3; 9-3 in UFC)
7) Chris Leben (24-6; 11-5 in UFC)
8) Yoshihiro Akiyama (13-2; 1-1 in UFC)
9) Alan Belcher (16-6; 7-4 in UFC)
10) Patrick Cote (13-6; 5-6 in UFC)

Notes:
This is a crazy division. It's like playing rock, paper, scissors, trying to rank this division. This guy beat that guy, but that guy beat the guy who beat the guy that he lost to... confusing, isn't it? The top 5 weren't too difficult, but 6-10 proved to be a bit more difficult. Leben is on a 3-0 run, but has loss to Jake Rosholt and Michael Bisping. Bisping lost to the aging Wanderlei Silva earlier this year, who is 2-5 in his last 7 fights. Bisping is 2-2 in his last 4 fights. Akiyama has yet to show what he can really do in the UFC, but a decision win over Belcher in his UFC debut put him in my top 10. Belcher takes a top 10 spot after his win over former title contender, Patrick Cote, who will suspect will be heading out of the top 10 spot very soon.

Fighters to Watch:
Even though Vitor Belfort (19-8; 8-4 in UFC) was schedule to have a title shot against Anderson Silva after his return to the UFC and defeating Rich Franklin, I am hesistant to put him in the rankings, since he has actually yet to compete in the middleweight division (Belfort and Franklin fought at a catchweight of 195 lbs.). He suffered an injury, but is now rumored to be in title contention again.

Gerald Harris
(17-2; 3-0 in UFC) has been very impressive in his 3 victories in the UFC, showing his heavy hands and his strength by TKO'ing and slamming his opponent to victory, literally. Time to step up in competition.. give him Kendall Grove, Patrick Cote, or even Ryan Jensen for his next fight.

To be honest, I thought Mark Munoz (8-2; 3-2 in UFC) was one and done in the UFC after the highlight reel loss to Matt Hamill's head kick. But, I was wrong. He showed how much he improved after his impressive wins over Ryan Jensen and Kendall Grove. The only thing that kept me from putting him up in the top 10 this time around was he split decision loss over Yushin Okami at UFC Live 2 earlier this month. If he keeps improving, he has the potential to make a name for himself in the UFC.

Light Heavyweight; 205 lbs.
:
1) Mauricio Rua (19-4; 3-2 in UFC)
2) Lyoto Machida (16-1; (8-1 in UFC)
3) Rashad Evans (15-1-1; 9-1-1 in UFC)
4) Anderson Silva (27-4; 12-0 in UFC)
5) Forest Griffin (17-6; 8-4 in UFC)
6) Quinton Jackson (30-8; 5-2 in UFC)
7) Thiago Silva (14-2; 5-2 in UFC)
8) Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (19-3; 2-0)
9) Rich Franklin (28-5; 12-4 in UFC)
10) Jon Jones (11-1; 5-1 in UFC)

Notes
:
Rashad Evans is suppose to be next in line for a title shot, but I think the fans would rather see an Anderson Silva/Mauricio Rua fight. I know I would. I ranked Forest Griffin up higher than Quinton Jackson, because of Forest's deicision win over Jackson for the title in 2008. I find Thiago Silva to be on his way out on the top 10, soon, as Antonio Nogueria and Jon Jones move up, and if Rich Franklin doesn't get some quality wins instead of "super fights" soon, then he'll be heading out of my top 10 as well. I think a Jon Jones/Rich Franklin fight would be suitable.

Fighters to Watch
:
Jason Brilz's (18-3-1; 3-2 in UFC) only losses were split decision losses, one against top light heavyweight contender, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, which I thought Brilz should have won. Next fight I would like to see Brilz take on, would be against Brian Stann.

Phil Davis (7-0; 3-0 in the UFC) has had a great start in his career so far, showing off what he can do and looking impressive doing it, though he's still a bit green and has a lot of room for improvement. That's one of the reasons that makes him dangerous. If the UFC really wants to test him, they should put him up against Thiago Silva. A Jon Jones vs. Phil Davis match up would be nice, too, but I think they are at different points in their career right now, so that would not be beneficial to the UFC.

Heavyweight; 206 lbs.-265 lbs.
:
1) Brock Lesnar (5-1; 4-1 in UFC)
2) Shane Carwin (12-1; 3-1 in UFC)
3) Cain Velasquez (8-0; 6-0 in UFC)
4) Junior dos Santos (12-1; 6-0 in UFC)
5) Frank Mir (13-5; 11-5 in UFC)
6) Cheick Kongo (15-6-1; 8-4 in UFC)
7) Gabriel Gonzaga (11-5; 7-4 in UFC)
8) Mirko "Cro Cop" (27-7-2; 4-3 in UFC)
9) Roy Nelson (15-5; 2-1 in UFC)
10) Stefan Struve (20-4; 4-2 in UFC)

Notes
:
Brock Lesnar showed that he can really take a beating after Shane Carwin's onslaught after Lesnar pulled out the 2nd round submission win. Carwin needs to work on his conditioning and work his way back up to title contention. Another win or two for Carwin should put him back into title contention after Velasquez takes his shot, and then Junior dos Santos behind him. Though, I want to see a Cheick Kongo vs. Gabriel Gonzaga fight. I had a hard time deciding who to put in the number 10 spot between Stefan Struve and Ben Rothwell. Rothwell has only had 2 fights in the UFc, though, going 1-1, even though he was the last IFL champion. Struve has proved that he belongs in the UFC, and he is a young kid with a lot of room to grow and he's improving in every fight. I could see Stefan Struve holding the title one day.

Fighters to Watch
:
Joey Beltran (12-3; 2-0 in UFC) made his UFC debut earlier this year against Rolles Gracie as an late replacement. Not many people really gave Beltran a chance, simply because he was up against a Gracie, but he proved that this Gracie didn't belong in the UFC with a very decisive victory TKO in the 2nd round. Beltran went on to defeat Tim Hague by a decision. A fight against Ben Rothwell or Gilbert Yvel would prove that he belonged in the UFC if he were to defeat one of those two.

I didn't give Mike Russow (13-1, 1 NC; 2-0 in UFC) a chance against Todd Duffee at UFC 114 in May. There was a lot of hype around Duffee after taking the UFC KO record of 7 seconds over Tim Hague in his debut. The physique of Russow and Duffee couldn't be more different, either. Though, both similar in height and weight, Duffee looks like an NFL linebacker, Russow looks like a second rate professional wrestler. Russow took Duffee's beatings until Duffee began to tire and Russow saw his opening and delivered a hail mary KO for the win. He opened a lot of eyes that night.

I don't think that Todd Duffee (6-1; 1-1 in UFC) has really shown what he can do it, yet. He needs to work on his conditioning and not be so afraid at taking harder shots. He has a lot of strength behind those hands, and once he figures out how to utilize them in the long fight, then he can be a force in the heavyweight division. There's a lot of potential there that needs to be awakened.

ludo90

ludo90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting top 10s , was fun to read em out.
Dont got enough patience to put mine down but i got some pointers :p

Kos as nr8? doesnt he deserve alittle more then that ? + wheres Rumble johnson hes the freakin man !

Also Jon Jones in my mind should be ranked abit higher.
Although i loved the list mort :) !

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Interesting top 10s , was fun to read em out.
Dont got enough patience to put mine down but i got some pointers :p

Kos as nr8? doesnt he deserve alittle more then that ? + wheres Rumble johnson hes the freakin man !

Also Jon Jones in my mind should be ranked abit higher.
Although i loved the list mort :) !

Those 3 things are what people said the most, lol.

I originally had Koscheck at #5.. but that would have put him ahead of Paulo Thiago.. whom beat Koscheck. Kos is just now picking up steam with his 3-0 run, after going 1-2, losing to Thiago Alves and Paulo Thiago. And Paulo Thiago lost to Martin Kampmann.. so I can't put Kos ahead of him, either.. though, Koscheck did defeat Paul Daley (no longer in the UFC), and Daley defeated Kampman. Though, I may have ranked Hughes a bit too high this late in his career.

If I were to change it, I would probably move Hughes back to 8th, and move Kampmann, Paulo Thiago, and Koscheck all up one rank.

Anthony Johnson was right on the tip of my Top 10. I like Rumble a lot.. and I'm thinking about taking Carlos Condit of the list, moving Kim up one, and putting Rumble at the number 10 spot.

Also.. I forgot about Big Nog :-x ... he would be at the #6 list of heavyweights.

And the reason why I didn't put Jon Jones up higher, is because he has hit to face top quality opponents.. although, I think once he does, he will show that he really belongs at the top of the class.

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Comments:

Lightweight
: I'm a big fan of Tyson Griffin, I would have him up higher. Clay Guida is my fav fighter ever, I hope he finds that "it factor" & gets a title shot 1 of these days.

Welterweight: I think Josh Koscheck should be up higher. & I think Diego Sanchez should be in the top 10.

Middleweight: I think Alan Belcher should be up higher & Michael Bisping down lower.

Light Heavyweight: Jon Jones should be higher up, maybe 8 or 9.

Heavyweight: Roy Nelson might be moving up the rankings quick. I think he's above Cro Cop & Gonzaga imo.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Comments:

Lightweight
: I'm a big fan of Tyson Griffin, I would have him up higher. Clay Guida is my fav fighter ever, I hope he finds that "it factor" & gets a title shot 1 of these days.

Welterweight: I think Josh Koscheck should be up higher. & I think Diego Sanchez should be in the top 10.

Middleweight: I think Alan Belcher should be up higher & Michael Bisping down lower.

Light Heavyweight: Jon Jones should be higher up, maybe 8 or 9.

Heavyweight: Roy Nelson might be moving up the rankings quick. I think he's above Cro Cop & Gonzaga imo.

Lightweight
: I'm a big fan of Tyson Griffin, too.. but he's 2-3 in his last 5 fights and currently on a 2 fight losing streak, losing to Gomi and Evan Dunham.

Welterweight: I can't put Koscheck up any higher than 7 (I did revise my rankings for the WW division, which I will post below). Paulo Thiago KO'd Koscheck in the first round last year. Diego Sanchez definitely does not belong on the list. Diego Sanchez has not won a fight in the weltweight division since 2006. He has only had one fight in the welterweight division since returning after losing to BJ Penn at lightweight. Diego lost to up & comer, John Hathaway in May... and is on a 3 fight loss streak in the welterweight division (he lost to Josh Koscheck and then Jon Fitch in 2007, then moved down to lightweight, went on a 4-1 run, then back up to welterweight, where he lost his return to John Hathaway).

Middleweight: Belcher lost to Akiyama.. I can't put him higher than him. Though, I could probably put Bisping down lower. If he doesn't start getting and winning more relevant fights, he will be.

Light Heavyweight
: Jon Jones needs to fight more credible opponents. Once he starts fighting Top 10 guys, then I'll rank him higher. Though, I believe that he has the potential to hold the title in the near future.. maybe by the end of next year.

Heavyweight
: Roy Nelson just lost Saturday night to Junior dos Santos. Crop Cop and Gonzaga both have more experience and more fights in the UFC.

Revised WW rankings:

Welterweight; 170 lbs.:
3) Thiago Alves (16-7; 9-4 in UFC)
4) Dan Hardy (23-7; 4-1 in UFC)
5) Martin Kampmann (17-3; 8-2 in UFC)
6) Paulo Thiago (13-2; 3-2 in UFC)
7) Josh Koscheck (15-4; 13-4 in UFC)
8) Matt Hughes (45-7; 18-5 in UFC)
9) Dong Hyun Kim (13-0-1, 1 NC; 4-0, 1 NC in UFC)
10) Anthony Johnson (8-3; 5-3 in UFC)

Another note:
Thiago Alves may be moving up to Middleweight.

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Lightweight
: I'm a big fan of Tyson Griffin, too.. but he's 2-3 in his last 5 fights and currently on a 2 fight losing streak, losing to Gomi and Evan Dunham.

Welterweight: I can't put Koscheck up any higher than 7 (I did revise my rankings for the WW division, which I will post below). Paulo Thiago KO'd Koscheck in the first round last year. Diego Sanchez definitely does not belong on the list. Diego Sanchez has not won a fight in the weltweight division since 2006. He has only had one fight in the welterweight division since returning after losing to BJ Penn at lightweight. Diego lost to up & comer, John Hathaway in May... and is on a 3 fight loss streak in the welterweight division (he lost to Josh Koscheck and then Jon Fitch in 2007, then moved down to lightweight, went on a 4-1 run, then back up to welterweight, where he lost his return to John Hathaway).

Middleweight: Belcher lost to Akiyama.. I can't put him higher than him. Though, I could probably put Bisping down lower. If he doesn't start getting and winning more relevant fights, he will be.

Light Heavyweight
: Jon Jones needs to fight more credible opponents. Once he starts fighting Top 10 guys, then I'll rank him higher. Though, I believe that he has the potential to hold the title in the near future.. maybe by the end of next year.

Heavyweight
: Roy Nelson just lost Saturday night to Junior dos Santos. Crop Cop and Gonzaga both have more experience and more fights in the UFC.

Revised WW rankings:

Welterweight; 170 lbs.:
3) Thiago Alves (16-7; 9-4 in UFC)
4) Dan Hardy (23-7; 4-1 in UFC)
5) Martin Kampmann (17-3; 8-2 in UFC)
6) Paulo Thiago (13-2; 3-2 in UFC)
7) Josh Koscheck (15-4; 13-4 in UFC)
8) Matt Hughes (45-7; 18-5 in UFC)
9) Dong Hyun Kim (13-0-1, 1 NC; 4-0, 1 NC in UFC)
10) Anthony Johnson (8-3; 5-3 in UFC)

Another note:
Thiago Alves may be moving up to Middleweight.

All valid points & they all make sense. I really, really like the altered Welterweight list you have :top:

L

liamkg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like your ranking but some observations

LW: I think Dunham should be in the top 10 and Griffin out

WW: Shields not even in the list? I know he hasn't even fought in the ufc but still.. johnson is moving up to I believe

MW: Wandelei Sliva he's not my favourite but he should be in the top 10 1-0 @MW

LHW: I don't think anderson should be ranked can't see him moving up now

HW: I think Cro Cop isn't top 10 Pat Barry got star struck & lost I'd rank Couture higher than Cro Cop and he's moved to LHW

L

liamkg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One 2 Watch LHW: Ryan Darth Bader 11-0 (4-0 UFC) good wins over Jardine & Red Schafer big test against LIL nog @ 119 but if he wins it he becomes legit top 10

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I like your ranking but some observations

LW: I think Dunham should be in the top 10 and Griffin out

WW: Shields not even in the list? I know he hasn't even fought in the ufc but still.. johnson is moving up to I believe

MW: Wandelei Sliva he's not my favourite but he should be in the top 10 1-0 @MW

LHW: I don't think anderson should be ranked can't see him moving up now

HW: I think Cro Cop isn't top 10 Pat Barry got star struck & lost I'd rank Couture higher than Cro Cop and he's moved to LHW

LW: You might be right about Dunham.. since he did beat Tyson Griffin.

WW: To be on my list, you have to have had at least 2 fights in the UFC... though, I might make an exception if he wins his first fight in the UFC, which is against Martin Kampmann.

MW: He's still 2-5 in the last 7 fights. Even though, he did beat Bisping, and I know I have Bisping in the Top 10.. Wanderlei needs to do more to get up there now.. but I think he's about on his to retirement.

LHW: He's 2-0 in the LHW division, just totally manhandling James Irvin and former LHW champion, Forrest Griffin.. there is talk about him fighting Shogun in the future. But a Sonnen rematch and fight against Vitor Belfort at middleweight are still being talked about, too.

HW: You may be right about Cro Cop, too. I had a difficult time figuring out who to put up there.. but then I forgot about Big Nog.. so taking out Cro Cop would make the full Top 10.

One 2 Watch LHW: Ryan Darth Bader 11-0 (4-0 UFC) good wins over Jardine & Red Schafer big test against LIL nog @ 119 but if he wins it he becomes legit top 10

Yes! Bader is definitely a guy to watch.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
USA Today posted their rankings:

Lightweight:
1) Frankie Edgar
2) BJ Penn