Longoria embarrassed by fans' attendance

Charzr

Charzr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They should take that Team out of St Petersburg FAST. Poor Longoria...he doesn't know what's ahead...without Carl Crawford, Carlos Pena and Rafael Soriano next year he will be lucky if 2,000 people show up!!!

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And he's "barely" getting paid to do it. For a superstar he's making pennies on the dollar because of the contract he signed early on. This is definitely the year the Rays need to make a run, their time frame is short.

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is definitely the year the Rays need to make a run, their time frame is short.

Yea, they need to get it this year. IF they can get to the W.S., I think they have a real chance against any NL team.

R

rodpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Rays situation is truly sad. They are one of the best teams in baseball yet they are playing in the worst baseball stadium in the majors. They really need a new venue, hopefully on the Tampa side of Tampa Bay. The Rays have a lot of young talent, but losing Crawford is going to hurt Longoria as well as the entire Rays team.

ythelongface

ythelongface

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Between the terrible attendance, and the awul stadium(think any of the bowl style baseball/football stadiums of the 70s), the Rays are gonna have to win this year.. I did see Joe Mcmaddon on MIke and Mike this morning and he was ever the optimist suggesting that payroll isnt important and that what matters is execution. Right... because its so much fun to know that you have to have everything go right with very little room for error whereas if you are a team like the Yankees, you dont really have to worry about much of anything, because you can just go out and buy what you need. Im sure I said something similiar before, but this is bad for baseball. As long as teams like the Rays( and i think we all know there are quite a few in a similar spot albeit with a touch more payroll), continue to be in this spot, its going to be a long summer for fans in these cities for years to come. Some sort of salary cap similar to football needs to be in palce in baseball and the sooner, the better.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I totally agree that a salary cap would benefit baseball in the long run, but the player's union would never agree to it. It would probably take a 1-2 year strike for something like that to happen and I think everybody involved (owners, players, fans) does not want to see something like that happen again.