KIMBO vs TONEY ?

R

Ronnie DNJ

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Toney's trainer Juanito Ibarra is already on the record as saying, He hopes Kimbo is Toneys first fight Prior to signing with the UFC, Toney said he wanted to fight Kimbo, although he seemed only vaguely aware of who Kimbo was and repeatedly called him "Simba."

But even if he doesn't know who Kimbo is, Toney knows that the best opponent for him is someone who is:
1. A well-known name
2. Not good enough at wrestling and Brazilian jiu jitsu to simply take him down and dominate him.

Kimbo is really the only fighter under contract to the UFC who qualifies in both categories. Kimbo vs. Toney would be a huge pay-per-view draw and would probably generate more mainstream media hype than any other UFC fight all year. And Kimbo is not a particularly good MMA fighter, especially on the ground, which means Toney would have a real chance of winning his UFC debut. (Randy Couture, on the other hand, would probably need less than a minute to take Toney down and beat him on the ground by TKO or submission.)

And as much as a Kimbo vs. Toney fight would have "freak show" written all over it, it would actually be a somewhat interesting stylistic match-up. I honestly don't know who I'd pick to win. Do you?

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i definately dont think it would generate more mainstream media hype than any other UFC event all year.

i think all of the following fights would get more hype this year.

1.) Rashad Evans vs. Rampage
2.) Machida vs. Shogun
3.) Silva vs. St. Pierre
4.) Lesnar vs. Anybody
5.) Carwin vs. Anybody
6.) hell even WEC Aldo vs. Faber

point being that kimbo isn't close to the biggest hype in the UFC. and him fighting this toney dude wouldn mean much to anybody who follows the UFC. maybe once kimbo gets a title shot or something but i dont see that happening. Til then there is a ton of fighters who do get a ton of media hype.

Numbuh 0ne

Numbuh 0ne

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kimbos last fight was really boring, not his fault though idk why alexander decided to do to pus out that fight. I'm not sure if mainstream America has caught on yet though. Hearing Kimbos name alone could be a huge draw.

T

Tonawanda

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

And as much as a Kimbo vs. Toney fight would have "freak show" written all over it, it would actually be a somewhat interesting stylistic match-up. I honestly don't know who I'd pick to win. Do you?

[/quote]

Correct, neither belongs in the UFC. Too bad that the UFC has to resort to this kind of fight. I'd have to pick Kimbo, Toney seems to be having issues lately and Kimbo has been more active.

Please bring back Pride!

Last edited:
Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think it's funny how Dana White says he wants to steer away from the whole "freak show" aspect of MMA.. but if this fight would get signed.. that's exactly what it would be.

Now, I like Kimbo. I actually watched his fights on YouTube before he joined EliteXC, and I said it would be interesting to see him fight in actual MMA, and I was even calling for it. The problem I had with Kimbo at the beginning wasn't with Kimbo himself... it was with the way EliteXC handled Kimbo, turning him into a sideshow and building him up to be a god, when he needed to pay his MMA dues first.

Seeing his interviews while he was in EliteXC made me respect him. He was a humble guy who just wanted to fight. Him taking up Dana White's offer to fight in The Ultimate Fighter and seeing him on that show gave me even more respect for him.. and I like the way the UFC is handling him.. the same way they are handling all the other TUF fighters that come along.. they don't hype them up as the next big thing, but give them the smaller fights to begin with, then build them up.

With that being said.. I don't want to see James Toney in there against Kimbo.. not that I think Toney would beat Kimbo (I think Kimbo would TKO Toney).. but because I really don't like Toney, who thinks he can just walk in and take on all MMA fighters. Dude is 45 years old.. and his name is not Randy Couture.. he's going to get pounded in the UFC.

I hope that the UFC just gives Toney a one and done fight. If he really wants to fight against someone with a name.. give him Randy Couture.. watch Couture tear Toney a new one.. and send him one his way.

That's just my opinion, anyways.

T

Tonawanda

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Almost Agree

I think it's funny how Dana White says he wants to steer away from the whole "freak show" aspect of MMA.. but if this fight would get signed.. that's exactly what it would be.

Now, I like Kimbo. I actually watched his fights on YouTube before he joined EliteXC, and I said it would be interesting to see him fight in actual MMA, and I was even calling for it. The problem I had with Kimbo at the beginning wasn't with Kimbo himself... it was with the way EliteXC handled Kimbo, turning him into a sideshow and building him up to be a god, when he needed to pay his MMA dues first.

Seeing his interviews while he was in EliteXC made me respect him. He was a humble guy who just wanted to fight. Him taking up Dana White's offer to fight in The Ultimate Fighter and seeing him on that show gave me even more respect for him.. and I like the way the UFC is handling him.. the same way they are handling all the other TUF fighters that come along.. they don't hype them up as the next big thing, but give them the smaller fights to begin with, then build them up.

With that being said.. I don't want to see James Toney in there against Kimbo.. not that I think Toney would beat Kimbo (I think Kimbo would TKO Toney).. but because I really don't like Toney, who thinks he can just walk in and take on all MMA fighters. Dude is 45 years old.. and his name is not Randy Couture.. he's going to get pounded in the UFC.

I hope that the UFC just gives Toney a one and done fight. If he really wants to fight against someone with a name.. give him Randy Couture.. watch Couture tear Toney a new one.. and send him one his way.

I think you're right on with almost all of your post. Very good interpretation of the UFC and this fight. However;

I don't think it would be right to give Toney a shot at Couture. It would actually make it a bigger freak show. It would also obviously be a slaughter, but demeaning to Randy to put him in the cage against a washed up boxer. And you probably agree with that, but just would like to see anyone put the "Lights Out" on Toney.

Actually, I'm certain Randy could probably beat him standing up, but ill advised. Toney is a monster hook puncher.

As far as your one and done comment, its likely that that will be the result of this fight unless Toney is competitive against Kimbo.

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can actually see how this fight could generate some major mainstream media hype. To people who have been following MMA for years, it's no big deal. To the casual fan just starting to watch or the fan drawn in by Kimbo's You Tube fights, it could be a very big deal. The major draw I see is the boxing fans and media who constantly insult MMA. This fight would almost force them to pay attention to MMA. It would be one of their former highly rated heavyweights thrown into the mix. I'd love to hear what they have to say if Kimbo KOd Toney.

T

Tonawanda

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good Point

To the casual fan just starting to watch or the fan drawn in by Kimbo's You Tube fights, it could be a very big deal. The major draw I see is the boxing fans and media who constantly insult MMA.

Good point and very likely the exact reason why this fight would be made.

If it was a legitimate heavyweight boxer, I would be much more interested.

I personally would like to see Kimbo box Chris Arreola or Samuel Peter.

Big guys with limited skills that compete well.

ludo90

ludo90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Agree 100% , hate whatching washed up boxers trying to do something they cant.. Such as my man Roy jones JR its a shame :(

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dana White was on MMA Live tonight and just said that Toney would be facing Randy Couture in his first fight later this year.

My bet is this fight goes to the ground and Couture wins very quickly.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Dana White was on MMA Live tonight and just said that Toney would be facing Randy Couture in his first fight later this year.

My bet is this fight goes to the ground and Couture wins very quickly.

That's probably what's going to happen, haha.

PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
End of that fight for Coach of UF was ridiculous.. Never saw that coming..

C

cheddachris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kimbo is more of a street fighter where as Toney has some more style and control then Kimbo so I would have to go with Toney on this one... and yes definitely a "freak show" but one which i would love to see

B

billyth3kid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
kimbo will get handled... its pretty much going to be a boxing match, and kimbo isnt really skilled in any other area. James toney will take out anyone with a weak ground game. Its about time a boxer signed with mma or ufc

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Kimbo is cut from the UFC.. this fight will never happen now.

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it would have ever happened to begin with. Methinks Toney will only be given one chance and he'll be gone after Couture destroys him.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't think it would have ever happened to begin with. Methinks Toney will only be given one chance and he'll be gone after Couture destroys him.

I hope so. I don't mind seeing boxers in MMA at all... as long as they are up and coming boxers, or boxers at their peak. Not old washed up boxers.

P

PasoTex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Boxing and MMA are different sports. If Toney fights Couture under MMA rules, Couture will win easily. If they fought under boxing rules, Toney would win easily. It's said that a formerly great boxer has to resort to embarrassing himself just to make money. Toney has been washed up for years.

djkismet

djkismet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont care who toney fights i just want to watch a boxer get his ass beat in the cage! toney - couture would make my year as far as fights go simply cus couture would school him for about 2 rounds to make a point.... take him down in the 3rd then ground n pound his head through the mat!

P

PasoTex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont care who toney fights i just want to watch a boxer get his ass beat in the cage! toney - couture would make my year as far as fights go simply cus couture would school him for about 2 rounds to make a point.... take him down in the 3rd then ground n pound his head through the mat!

Why the hate for boxers? Toney vs. Couture is not a competitive contest under boxing or MMA rules. The rules will determine the outcome of the contest, not the skill of the fighters. The fight will be totally one-sided either way.

Z

zomg_sharks

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm interested to see how hard Toney has been training for this fight with Couture. His trainers say he's taking it seriously. I still can't see him beating Randy under MMA rules. Expect Randy to control for three rounds for a UD win

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why the hate for boxers? Toney vs. Couture is not a competitive contest under boxing or MMA rules. The rules will determine the outcome of the contest, not the skill of the fighters. The fight will be totally one-sided either way.

I think it's more hate for MMA haters than hate for boxers. It gets so old hearing all of these boxing purists on ESPN, Fox Sports, etc. constantly trash talking about MMA. They are just so ignorant.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's more hate for MMA haters than hate for boxers. It gets so old hearing all of these boxing purists on ESPN, Fox Sports, etc. constantly trash talking about MMA. They are just so ignorant.

i agree, although i do think more analysts are coming around...people still obsess over boxing even though the sport is dying out imo and people are willing to accept the "new" sport..even though its only new to the people who haven followed it

djkismet

djkismet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

boxers are not fighters they are boxers.

anderson silva best fighter pound for pound

floyd mayweather best boxer pound for pound

boxing is the most passive way of physical competition, and not nearly the chess match of two bjj guys goin at it. a mental mistake in boxing gets u a black eye a mental mistake in bjj gets yer arm in a cast.

and yes its not the hate for boxers its the hate for the analysts n such that run smear camapaigns on mma because they're sport has been one upped and put on the back burner cus noone cares anymore about two dudes seeing who can just punch each other more w/ pillows on their hands