Hoffman announced his retirement after 18 seasons

Charzr

Charzr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Trevor Hoffman's ascent to becoming a baseball legend can be likened to the story of The Tortoise and the Hare.

He nearly flunked out of the minor leagues as an infielder who couldn't hit or field, became a pitcher whose career was nearly derailed when a shoulder injury sapped the speed from his fastball, morphed into one of the game's all-time great relievers thanks to a pitch that doesn't exceed some interstate speed limits and later set baseball's career saves record despite leading his own league in the category only twice.

But Hoffman, master of the changeup, had 12 seasons with at least 37 saves -- a winning career owing to a slow and steady approach, just as the tortoise in Aesop's fable.

On Tuesday Hoffman announced his retirement after 18 seasons, the vast majority of them as closer for the San Diego Padres, and set himself up for Hall of Fame induction five years from now, in his first ballot of eligibility. Beloved by his teammates as a friend and first-rate professional, he leaves the game with 601 saves, 42 more than anyone in history.
:)

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...evor.hoffman.retires/index.html#ixzz1ApWXCqfM

trevor-hoffman-story-ap.jpg

PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great Career. For sure a first ballot hall of famer. GG TH.

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Saw him pitch with the Padres more than a few time and always thought "Hell I could hit that". :rolleyes: First ballot HOFer imo.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wowzers. awesome career he had. i didn see this on sportscenter this morning wtf

M

MickSwagger814

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think he is def a hall of famer